Software Bisque

Take a virtual tour of the Software Bisque campus Watch Steve Bisque discuss the Paramount mount with S&T's Dennis Di Cicco Read the Paramount MYT Review Read about the Paramount Software Suite

SATELLITE TRACKING

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 6
JAY R Posted: 09-10-2010 7:08 PM

With a Celestron Nexstar 8 Se,  can theSky 6 or SkyX First Light control the scope to track earth satellites?

Thanks.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,648
Software Bisque Employee

JAY R:
With a Celestron Nexstar 8 Se,  can theSky 6 or SkyX First Light control the scope to track earth satellites?

TheSkyX Student Edition, TheSkyX Serious Astronomer Edition and TheSkyX Professional Edition include satellite orbit prediction; The latter 2 can control the Nexstar 8.

Daniel R. Bisque

Software Bisque, Inc.

862 Brickyard Circle

Golden, Colorado 80403-8058

Office Hours: 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday GMT-7:00

Posting Etiquette

Not Ranked
Posts 9

Good evening:

I also track satellites. I'm trying to configure a 16'' Meade mounted on an LX-200 to track satellites. Our current version of your software, TheSky6, doesn't allow us to do this or at least I've been told by a prof that the Track Satelitte menu is greyed out and unusable contrary to when we use it with our Paramount mount. 

Does TheSkyX P.E. allow one to use the track satellite option with the LX-200 mount or does this remain an unsupported function?

Thanks

Don

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,648
Software Bisque Employee

donald.bedard:
Does TheSkyX P.E. allow one to use the track satellite option with the LX-200 mount or does this remain an unsupported function?
In order to track satellites with TheSkyX, the telescope control system must be able to set tracking rates in both the RA and Declination axes to match the satellite's rates.

In other words, the LX200 control system does not allow tracking rates to be set in both RA and Dec, so it does not meet the minimum system requirements. 

I hope this makes sense.

Daniel R. Bisque

Software Bisque, Inc.

862 Brickyard Circle

Posting Etiquette

Not Ranked
Posts 0

Daniel R. Bisque:

donald.bedard:
In order to track satellites with TheSkyX, the telescope control system must be able to set tracking rates in both the RA and Declination axes to match the satellite's rates.

I am planning to use my Losmandy GM-11 mount to track Amateur Radio Satellites using a directional antenna in place of a scope.

My Losmandy Gemini manual states that I can set independent RA and Dec tracking rates.  I take it from the above response that the TheSkyX  can be used for tracking on the mount.  Have you experience with their mounts and tracking systems?  Which SkyX products have the satellite tracking feature.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,648
Software Bisque Employee

Saguro99:
Have you experience with their mounts and tracking systems?
Unfortunately, I do not. 

One technique that is used by software is to perform "leap frog" slews to track a satellite.  TheSkyX does not use this technique.

TheSkyX's satellite tracking algorithms first compute the satellite's tracking rate in RA and Dec, and then sets the telescope's tracking rate to match.  Using this method, Software Bisque's Paramount mounts have been used to accurately track fast moving satellites, including the ISS and Iridium satellites.

Many commercial mounts do not have sufficient dynamic range for setting the mount's tracking rates in both RA and Dec to track the faster moving satellites.  The next step is to determine if the Gemini control system can set rates for these satellites.  Perhaps Rene can answer this question. 

Daniel R. Bisque

Software Bisque, Inc.

862 Brickyard Circle

Posting Etiquette

Not Ranked
Posts 2

Daniel R. Bisque:

In other words, the LX200 control system does not allow tracking rates to be set in both RA and Dec, so it does not meet the minimum system requirements. 

It has been a while since the last comments in this thread, so I wanted to bring it back after all these years.

Has there been any change to whether or not TheSkyX could track a satellite using an LX200 telescope? Would the use of the Advanced Satellite Tracking Add-On work? If not, could this be a potential future change - potentially using the satellite's change in RA/DEC converted to a change in Alt/Az - or is the ability truly not possible on the LX200 mounts? 

Thank you for your help!

Regards,

Adam

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,648
Software Bisque Employee

348688:
Has there been any change to whether or not TheSkyX could track a satellite using an LX200 telescope?
No.

348688:
Would the use of the Advanced Satellite Tracking Add-On work?
No.

348688:
If not, could this be a potential future change - potentially using the satellite's change in RA/DEC converted to a change in Alt/Az - or is the ability truly not possible on the LX200 mounts? 
The coordinate system is not the issue.  The issue is how TheSkyX tracks satellites (frequent changes to the RA and Dec positions) and how non-Paramount mounts respond to them (generally, with disdain).

Daniel R. Bisque

Software Bisque, Inc.

862 Brickyard Circle

Posting Etiquette

Not Ranked
Posts 1

How could I possibly script a Paramount ME II mount to track a satellite? Is that possible via COM Object or even using the TCP/JavaScript Option?

Thanks in advance

Erik

BTW.: Meade Autostar II seem to support different tracking rates in RA and DEC, it just seems not to be implemented in most common drivers like ASCOM or INDI. But the serial commands are out there and ready to use.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS

© 2018 Software Bisque, Inc. 862 Brickyard Circle, Golden, CO 80403-8058 USA - phone: +1 303 278 4478 fax: +1 303 278 0045
Google+