Software Bisque

Take a virtual tour of the Software Bisque campus Watch Steve Bisque discuss the Paramount mount with S&T's Dennis Di Cicco Read the Paramount MYT Review Read about the Paramount Software Suite

Taurus recommendation for alt-az usage?

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 16
DRDC Ottawa Posted: 11-28-2017 5:47 PM

Good evening,

I was interested if a Paramount Taurus can be used in an alt-az configuration for satellite tracking? Can TheSkyX, and the dome add on, handle a Taurus configuration where the RA axis is mounted vertically (as an azimuth arrangement?)

This configuration of the Taurus would suit my satellite tracking application better.Would the satellite tracking add on function correctly with the Taurus in this arrangement?

I have a 10.5" ash dome and am already using Paramount MEs at my facilities. What would be the recommended maximum aperture size be suitable for the 10.5' ash domes? (Taurus with 0.5m Planewave?)

Any recommendations are welcome, thank you

Lauchie Scott

Defence R&D Canada Ottawa

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,037
Software Bisque Employee

DRDC Ottawa:
I was interested if a Paramount Taurus can be used in an alt-az configuration for satellite tracking?

The altitude adjustment range of the base of a Paramount Taurus equatorial mount is 0° to 58°, so you'd need a wedge to increase this to 90°. However, you should check out the recent "AMOS and AIC 2017" blog article.

DRDC Ottawa:
Would the satellite tracking add on function correctly with the Taurus in this arrangement?

The Advanced Satellite Tracking Add On isn't limited to use with an equatorial mount.

DRDC Ottawa:
What would be the recommended maximum aperture size be suitable for the 10.5' ash domes?

I'll leave the OTA recommendations to others.

Brian S. Rickard
Software Bisque, Inc.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,240
Software Bisque Employee

DRDC Ottawa:
I was interested if a Paramount Taurus can be used in an alt-az configuration for satellite tracking?
The Paramount Taurus equatorial fork must be aligned with the celestial pole, and would not work in an alt/az orientation.

Software Bisque is a sponsor of, and will be showing an alt/az model of the Paramount carrying a 0.5m Officina Stellare OTA at the AAS meeting in Washington DC, January 2018.  Please stop by our booth to see it.

DRDC Ottawa:
What would be the recommended maximum aperture size be suitable for the 10.5' ash domes? (Taurus with 0.5m Planewave?)
Note that the Paramount Taurus carrying a 0.5m OTA will fit inside a 10.5' dome.  If you'd like a solid model of this configuration, let us know.

Daniel R. Bisque

Software Bisque, Inc.

862 Brickyard Circle

Golden, Colorado 80403-8058

Office Hours: 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday GMT-7:00

Posting Etiquette

Not Ranked
Posts 16

Hi,

If possible, can you please send me the outline dimensions of the Taurus sized for a 0.5m telescope? Thank you

Lauchie Scott

Robert.Scott@drdc-rddc.gc.ca

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS

© 2018 Software Bisque, Inc. 862 Brickyard Circle, Golden, CO 80403-8058 USA - phone: +1 303 278 4478 fax: +1 303 278 0045
Google+