Software Bisque

Take a virtual tour of the Software Bisque campus Watch Steve Bisque discuss the Paramount mount with S&T's Dennis Di Cicco Read the Paramount MYT Review Read about the Paramount Software Suite

blown controller board

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Posts 4
David Posted: 12-04-2017 9:05 PM

Hello,

I was setting up my MyT mount in my study this evening (it's been several months since its been operated), I plugged in the power (using the wall adapter), plugged in the usb cable, and when I switched it on I heard a pop, saw a spark, and smelled burning electrical components!!! 

The mount will not power on. 

-David

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,037
Software Bisque Employee

Sorry to hear it! Were the sights, sounds and smells coming from the power supply, or the mount?

Have you tried powering the mount on with only the power supply connected; no other cables?

If you have a volt meter, you could check that the power supply is putting out about 48 VDC. If it is, then you may need a new MKS 5000 board. See the appropriate procedure below to get that ordered:

Warranty Product Replacement Procedure

Non-Warranty Product Replacement Procedure

If your power supply isn't putting out 48 VDC, you may need a new power supply, and possibly a new MKS 5000 board, too.

Brian S. Rickard
Software Bisque, Inc.

Not Ranked
Posts 4

Hello Brian,

The spark came out of the mount as soon as I flipped the power switch (and the smell of burning circuit board came from the mount as well!).  The mount is almost two years old, so I know it's out of warranty -- but it's only been operated a few times.  I installed a Wi-Fi card soon after I got it, and it worked fine at that time, and it's been stored in a Pelican case for the last few months.

I know I'll need to order another controller board, but I hesitate to do so until I have a good understanding of why this board fried.  I don't want to put in a new board, flip the switch and fry another one!!!  I can't afford that!

The only thing I did different this time, is I used an external (powered) USB hub to connect the mount to my laptop.  Could that have had anything to do with the blown controlled board?

Thanks,

David

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,037
Software Bisque Employee

While we recommend making a direct USB connection between the mount and computer, using an intermediate hub shouldn't have caused the fault you've described, unless there was something wrong with the hub or cabling.

You could order a replacement MKS 5000 Electronics Board, but before you try it in your mount, I'd suggest that you send the problematic board (and possibly the power supply as well) back for us to inspect. You should send the board back anyway, to get the core charge refunded, and if you choose to send it with the power supply in advance of the replacement's shipment, we can probably return the latter to you in the same shipment.

Then, once you have the replacement installed, verify that it works properly with only the power supply and the 15-foot USB cable that came with the mount connected; no hubs or extenders, nor any other cables (not even hand controller's) connected to the mount's Electronics Box or Instrument Panel.

Brian S. Rickard
Software Bisque, Inc.

Not Ranked
Posts 4

Thanks Brian, that sounds great.  I appreciate you guys looking at the board AND testing the power supply!  I'll contact customer service for an RMA.  I wonder if I left the Wi-Sky card attached, if you could test it as well -- to make sure it is still working?

Thanks for your help,

David

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS

© 2018 Software Bisque, Inc. 862 Brickyard Circle, Golden, CO 80403-8058 USA - phone: +1 303 278 4478 fax: +1 303 278 0045
Google+