Software Bisque

Take a virtual tour of the Software Bisque campus Watch Steve Bisque discuss the Paramount mount with S&T's Dennis Di Cicco Read the Paramount MYT Review Read about the Paramount Software Suite

Ego Battery options

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 2
nick021469 Posted: 01-12-2018 6:36 PM

After reviewing “Appendix A: EGO Battery Disclaimers” in the “Portable Paramount Power using EGO Batteries” document (and checking homedepot.com,) I have a quick question regarding the 2.0, 5.0 and 7.5 Ah versions available for purchase. Is the Ego 5.0 Ah battery a suitable alternative to the 4.0 version mentioned in the document? And, assuming a remote site 1.5 hrs away, would a 5.0 Ah primary and 2.0 Ah backup battery provide sufficient power and redundancy, or is it safer to opt for two 5.0 Ah batteries? Thanks. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,240
Software Bisque Employee

nick021469:
Is the Ego 5.0 Ah battery a suitable alternative to the 4.0 version mentioned in the document?
Yes. 

nick021469:
And, assuming a remote site 1.5 hrs away, would a 5.0 Ah primary and 2.0 Ah backup battery provide sufficient power and redundancy, or is it safer to opt for two 5.0 Ah batteries? Thanks. 
Is this for one night, or multiple night's use?  Generally, more power is almost always better (if you can afford it), but the 5AH EGO should be more than sufficient for one night's "normal" mount usage (mostly tracking with periodic slews).

Daniel R. Bisque

Software Bisque, Inc.

862 Brickyard Circle

Golden, Colorado 80403-8058

Office Hours: 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday GMT-7:00

Posting Etiquette

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 68

I like the Ego system except that it has very limited availability (only Home Depot) and is incompatible with any other makes and isn't cheap.  One thing to consider is getting a weed-whipper or other Ego tool that comes with a battery and charger - then the mount power is sort-of "free".

Discharge depends greatly on the amount of slewing.  Building a 50 point model then roving around the sky will drain it within a night (partly depending on battery size).  But simply finding a target for a long imaging session hardly depletes it and can be good for 2-3+ nights (even with small batteries).

Stan

Not Ranked
Posts 2

Thank you for the feedback. As it turns out, Home Depot now has the 4.0 in stock, and is out of the 5.0 Ah. I purchased the 4.0 before the stock fluctuates once again. 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,983
Universal Subscription Licensee

I use the 7.5 (special order) With my MYT get 2 nights no problems. Only takes about 30 minutes to recharge. These LiFeO4 batteries are incredible.

Roy

www.roystarman.com

I am not employed by Software Bisque, but I am a satisfied customer.

• Filed under:
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 63

I got the 7.5ah battery with my Ego lawnmower.  It's a great mower and of course there is no conflict over use since I never mow at night and I never image in the day.  My wife doesn't even suspect why I chose that particular model.

Bill R.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS

© 2018 Software Bisque, Inc. 862 Brickyard Circle, Golden, CO 80403-8058 USA - phone: +1 303 278 4478 fax: +1 303 278 0045
Google+