Software Bisque

Take a virtual tour of the Software Bisque campus Watch Steve Bisque discuss the Paramount mount with S&T's Dennis Di Cicco Read the Paramount MYT Review Read about the Paramount Software Suite

Counterweights and tripod Paramount MX+

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 11
mlwitten Posted: 02-23-2018 9:50 PM

Hi!

A couple of pieces of information in your specs would help....  I am planning an order but want to get it right the first time <g>   I need the height or thickness of the counterweights.  You have a shaft length, and all the weight and shaft information on the weights, but no simple height or thickness of the counterweights that I can find.  It would me help figure out how many and what mix I might need, not to mention the need for an extension shaft.  I.e. would 4x20lbs fit, and would 2 40 fit if not...  I know my current mount is using all of 75lbs, so the lengths of your weights would help.  This would jut be a simple line item in their specs.

I would be interested in that dimension for the 10, 20 and 30lb mounts.

Similarly, I am looking to use the Portable Pier/Tripod for the MX+.  Dimensions in the description might be nice.  I know they are adjustable, but a nominal height range would help.

I suspect a lot of folks could answer these questions,  so posting away...

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,015
Software Bisque Employee

Thank you for considering the Paramount MX+ Robotic Telescope Mount!

mlwitten:
I need the height or thickness of the counterweights. …I.e. would 4x20lbs fit, and would 2 40 fit if not...

You're right that we should probably indicate the thickness (and diameter) of each size of counterweight. However, it can be determined from specifications on our site (e.g. the Paramount ME and Paramount MX Counterweight Shaft Drawing) that the standard counterweight shaft provided with the Paramount MX+ can accommodate at least five 20-lb. counterweights. Note that the 30- and 40-lb. counterweights are designed for the larger (1.875-in.) diameter counterweight shaft of the Paramount ME II.

mlwitten:
Similarly, I am looking to use the Portable Pier/Tripod for the MX+.  Dimensions in the description might be nice.  I know they are adjustable, but a nominal height range would help.

The 32-36 in. height range of the Pyramid Portable Pier (Paramount MX) is indicated in the Pyramid Portable Pier Technical Drawing.

Brian S. Rickard
Software Bisque, Inc.

Not Ranked
Posts 11

Exactly what I was looking for!  You are correct that I was only looking through what I could find in the marketing sections, and did not think to dig for the detail drawings.  They did not seem to come up in the search and generally did not jump out at me in any case.

And it looks like I can do what I need with 20's, which are more manageable than the larger ones.

It also looks like, other than the battery adapter if I go portable and the bubble level, the extra counterweight is all I should need to be able to be up and running when it arrives?   No additional plates for the tripod, and the mounting plate included. The OTA is a Meade 14 SCT.  I have a stack of Pi's and a NUC for the computer side to run from..

Thank you!

Mike

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,412

The height of the pier is essentially non-adjustable. The leg adjustments are only suitable for leveling. I would strongly suggest getting the six inch pier extension. 

Not Ranked
Posts 11

Is there an interference issue?  I am shorter than average, so I don't want a tall mount.  The 2 reasons I am looking  at this mount are weight and the extended adjustment screws.  I did realize it was not officially an "adjustable" mount. 

Having to add a pier extension to make it work would not help with these 2 items, or the cost...  If it will have interference problems with the OTA, counterweights, etc. (when assembled correctly) it would be good to know now.  If not and it is just a convenience thing, I'll be good.

Thanks!

-Mike

Not Ranked
Posts 11

Forgot to ask: Do you have weight information on the extenders?  I searched your documentation, and did not see it.  Just for one of them (4 inch or 6 inch or whatever), and I can guesstimate from there. 

Thanks!

-Mike

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,229
Software Bisque Employee

mlwitten:
Is there an interference issue?
Every GEM has potential interference issues.  The length and balance position of the OTA and imaging train, and even your latitude can affect mount with pier leg clearance issues.

mlwitten:
I did realize it was not officially an "adjustable" mount. 
While the height of the Pyramid Portable Pier is not significantly adjustable, the overall design results in an extremely stable platform.

mlwitten:
The OTA is a Meade 14 SCT. 
SCTs are "back heavy", so that the OTA must be further forward to achieve balance.  This effectively means there the imaging train is a bit "higher" wrt to the pier (meaning less chance of the OTA interfering with the tripod legs). 

What is the length of the imaging train?  It will play a big role whether or not an extension tube is required. If, for example, you were mounting a 2 m refractor, then a tube extension would prevent the OTA from interfering with the pier.

mlwitten:
I have a stack of Pi's and a NUC for the computer side to run from..
Are you a visual observer? 

Daniel R. Bisque

Software Bisque, Inc.

862 Brickyard Circle

Golden, Colorado 80403-8058

Office Hours: 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday GMT-7:00

Posting Etiquette

Not Ranked
Posts 11

Daniel R. Bisque:
mlwitten:
Is there an interference issue?
Every GEM has potential interference issues.  The length and balance position of the OTA and imaging train, and even your latitude can affect mount with pier leg clearance issues.

First, everything is now on order...

Understood.. I have a tripod now, and realized my question did not make sense when I re-read it.  It is all about what you have attached, as you said.  I went ahead and took your advice.  A weight spec on those extensions would be a nice addition to the descriptions, however.  Weight was what put me over the top on this tripod, though as I said having those "fine adjust" handles reachable while standing was another biggie that I really liked.  From other folks postings here and elsewhere, I trusted it was a solid unit, or I'd be going a different route.

Initially, this is for a 14 inch SCT.  The accessories (camera, etc.) are causing it to have a longer tail all the time, however.   The mount (ordered the package) is the MX+

At the moment, I am doing more direct visual, but am moving into photography and some other side interests.

Thanks!  -Mike

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,229
Software Bisque Employee

mlwitten:
First, everything is now on order...
Wow, thank you very much for choosing the Paramount!!

Daniel R. Bisque

Software Bisque, Inc.

862 Brickyard Circle

Golden, Colorado 80403-8058

Office Hours: 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday GMT-7:00

Posting Etiquette

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS

© 2018 Software Bisque, Inc. 862 Brickyard Circle, Golden, CO 80403-8058 USA - phone: +1 303 278 4478 fax: +1 303 278 0045
Google+