Software Bisque

Take a virtual tour of the Software Bisque campus Watch Steve Bisque discuss the Paramount mount with S&T's Dennis Di Cicco Read the Paramount MYT Review Read about the Paramount Software Suite

Software Bisque ME II learning curve

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 1
John Harrington Posted: 04-17-2018 10:03 PM

Hello,

I'll be working this summer with an ME II mount. I've printed off the Paramount Robotic Telescope User Guide and the Must-Know Out of Box info and will be reviewing those closely. Are there any additional resources available that I should review? Any lists of don't-ever-do-this mistakes that people have already made? Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,

John Harrington

Newton, MA

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 554

Don't EVER put it in balance mode, when it is not in balance and you have don't have a hold of the axis. Says that in the manual, but its easy to forget. Bad things can happen.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,984
Software Bisque Employee

John Harrington:
Any lists of don't-ever-do-this mistakes that people have already made?
In addition from what's in the User Guide: Never:

• Run the observatory roof into the fully-loaded Paramount mount.
  • Allow any external object strike the counterweight shaft when the worm and gear are engaged.
  • Forget to bolt down a Paramount mount to the pier before mounting a 24-inch OTA to the Versa-Plate.
  • Remove the counterweights when the Versa-Plate is fully loaded, and "let go".
  • Allow the Paramount mount to fall off of the pier, or get blown over by the wind, or run into it in the dark.
  • Forget to close the trailer door and allow your Paramount to bounce down the highway.
  • Get into a car accident when transporting a Paramount mount when the mount is unboxed in the back seat.
  • Never plug a 120V AC power into any portion of the Paramount's 48 V DC electronics.
  • Run 120V AC power using the Paramount's though the mount cabling (especially using lamp cord).
  • Allow the Paramount to be exposed to excessive ESDs (especially a proximal lightning strike).
  • Hit your head on a counterweight that is attached to the counterweight shaft.
  • Drop a counterweight on your foot.

To name a few...

Daniel R. Bisque

Software Bisque, Inc.

862 Brickyard Circle

Golden, Colorado 80403-8058

Office Hours: 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday GMT-7:00

Posting Etiquette

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,373

Hilarious yet we know people (or are people) that have done some or all of those.

I have to add:

Don't slew the mount when anyone is nearby. I've personally been "counterweighted" in the knees and "nether regions" on more than one occasion.  It's painful.  This may be a variation of the second bullet point, but I think you need to yell "Clear!" before slewing and homing.

We also added orange hockey balls to certain protrusions - for visibility and less impact damage. This may just be a Canadian thing.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,789
Software Bisque Employee

By email 2018-05-08 00:33Z (How do I reply to a post on the Software Bisque Forum?):

John Harrington:

Thanks everyone for your responses!  Some epic warnings, for sure.  I will go forward with due care.

Clear skies,

John

Brian S. Rickard
Software Bisque, Inc.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS

© 2018 Software Bisque, Inc. 862 Brickyard Circle, Golden, CO 80403-8058 USA - phone: +1 303 278 4478 fax: +1 303 278 0045
Google+