Software Bisque

Take a virtual tour of the Software Bisque campus Watch Steve Bisque discuss the Paramount mount with S&T's Dennis Di Cicco Read the Paramount MYT Review Read about the Paramount Software Suite

Question regarding right angle power cable

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Nick Posted: 04-20-2018 2:23 PM

Hello all, I am writing to see if the $60 Right Angle Power Cable Optional Accessory (for 220W Power Supplies Only) can be modified for use with Powerpole connectors, without any adverse effects. 

I don't need the cable for use with a 220W power supply, I am just trying to keep the power plug from hitting the azimuth adjuster, and I want a spare 48V power cable that I can use with Powerpole connectors to connect to a homemade (Wes-inspired) Ego Battery Box. 

Alternatively, if you know of/can share your source for a 48V, 2A, right angle, 2.5MM x 5.5MM female DC power connector locking plug, I could always purchase the barrel connector and make a power cord. Thanks! 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 963
Software Bisque Employee

Nick,

The connector we use on the cable you mentioned is 839-1014-ND from DigiKey. This is probably what you're looking for. I also don't foresee there being any adverse effects modifying the cable if it was of course done properly. There would need to be 2 wires crimped in to each of the Powerpole connectors since this particular cable has 4 wires to work with the Kycon connector at the other end. 

Powerwerx also has a cable with a 90 degree 2.5x5.5MM connector DC25RA, Software Bisque has used these for cameras and things up near the instrument panel but I don't believe we have tried the 2.5mm to power a Paramount before so I am not sure of the amperage that specific connector can handle.

Thank you,

Sarah

Sarah Bisque Clawson

Software Bisque, Inc.

862 Brickyard Circle

Golden, Colorado 80403-8058

Not Ranked
Posts 9

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE

Hello, thanks Sarah. I looked at my EGO Battery to Paramount Power Adaptor and I noticed that there seems to be two wires: a black and white. Without tearing it apart, it looks like the black wire goes to the negative blade on the green Ego Battery Adaptor, and the white wire goes to the positive blade. Then, the other end of the cable terminates in a 2.5 x 5.5 mm locking plug.

The DigiKey part you referenced looks perfect. For my purpose of powering the mount, I will stick the locking plug end of the 839-1014-ND into the “48V Power In” jack on the MX+ Electronics Box. Then (if I’ve got this right,) I can terminate the other end of that cable with an Anderson PowerPole connector. I will then plug the PowerPole connector into the 48V power jack on my battery box and I should be in business for 48V mount power. 

Separately, regarding the Kycon connector on the MX+ Instruments panel, I was thinking of using the 4-pin female Kycon KPPX-4p connector (Aux Power Out) port to power my STX-16803 CCD. That said, Software Bisque states that the 18 AWG "through the mount" cabling provided with the MX+ is only rated for a maximum of 20V at 7.5A. Supposedly the STX needs 10A of current at 12V, so that leads me to think that I need to forego the MX+ through the mount wiring in favor of connecting into my RigRunner for power, or running a separate 12V 10A power cable through the mount and connecting directly to my 12V battery box sitting on the ground below. Thought on that? I'm a bit fuzzy on the STX requirements so I reached out to Doug at Diff Ltd/SBIG. 

And one final question, when I purchased the MX+ I bought the Paramount ME II/MX/MX+/MYT External Power Cable Set (One 12V/5A and One 12V/3A Device.) Now however, I think I purchased the wrong cable set. The STX-16803 h as a standard DIN 6 hole female power jack. So the 4-pin male Kycon connector on my cable set is perfect to plug into the Aux Power Out jack on the MX+ Instruments panel, but I need a standard DIN 6 pin male power plug on the other end of the power cable set (as opposed to the barrel jacks and plugs I currently have.) 

What cable set do you recommend? Maybe the SBIG 6-pin cable set? 

Thanks again for your help.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 963
Software Bisque Employee

Nick,

Nick:
Then (if I’ve got this right,) I can terminate the other end of that cable with an Anderson PowerPole connector. I will then plug the PowerPole connector into the 48V power jack on my battery box and I should be in business for 48V mount power. 
Correct. I would triple check to make sure the polarity of your cable from your battery box is +48V tip positive prior to plugging it in to your mount of course.

Nick:
Thought on that? I'm a bit fuzzy on the STX requirements so I reached out to Doug at Diff Ltd/SBIG. 
Yes these cables/connectors have a limiting factor of 7.5A so cameras that are sensitive to voltage drops (SBIG I believe is one who is) then I would run a separate power cable with a large enough gage wire using your RigRunner.

Nick:
What cable set do you recommend? Maybe the SBIG 6-pin cable set? 
The SBIG 6-Pin cable set is meant to be used on SBIG cameras that have 6 pins which sounds like your SBIG camera has. This set is still limited by the 7.5A though.

Sarah Bisque Clawson

Software Bisque, Inc.

862 Brickyard Circle

Golden, Colorado 80403-8058

Not Ranked
Posts 9

Hello Sarah, an additional question. Regarding the SBIG ST-L Series (6-Pin) External Power Cable specs, do you know the AWG size of the 6 wires, and the amperage rating of the 6 Pin DIN connector? I may still be able to use the external power cable even if I can't use it in conjunction with the through the mount wiring. 

And also, do you sell Powerpole keystone inserts for the MX+? Thanks! 

Not Ranked
Posts 9

Hello, one additional question. In two of my imaging setups I am using a Dew Buster plus heater straps that use max 1 to 2A, maybe peeking at 5A when the night first starts. I verified this with my Fluke multi-meter (one setup uses 0.9A and the other 1.7A.) 

Given this situation I think/hope I can safely use the through the mount cabling. If you concur, next step I believe would be for me to purchase the generic power cable set. That way, I will have 2 cables that terminate in Kycon connectors, and I can then crimp Anderson PowerPole connectors on the other end, allowing me to use the through the mount cabling with my specific setup. One question - since I would only be connecting to one device on the Powerpole ends, and given that there are 4 conductors in the cable, can I safely join (twist) the two positive wires together, twist the two negative wires together, and then terminate the (now) 1 positive and 1 negative wire into a single Red/Black Powerpole connecter? I just want to make sure I can go from 4 to 2 wires on each end without any unintended consequences. 

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS

© 2018 Software Bisque, Inc. 862 Brickyard Circle, Golden, CO 80403-8058 USA - phone: +1 303 278 4478 fax: +1 303 278 0045
Google+