Software Bisque

Take a virtual tour of the Software Bisque campus Watch Steve Bisque discuss the Paramount mount with S&T's Dennis Di Cicco Read the Paramount MYT Review Read about the Paramount Software Suite

custom pier or extension tube?

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 3
scubabri Posted: 05-02-2018 7:46 PM

I'm purchasing a used MX+ that I will be putting on an existing pier in my observatory. I currently have a CGE Pro on the pier and I need to replicate the height. I have a center hole in the pier, that I've used to attach an adapter plate which matches up to the  CGE Pro electronics pier, which is about 9" tall. 

I see I may have two options, a bisque custom 8" pier that I attach to my existing pier (I need to lower the mount by about 1"  to accommodate a C14 when I get it). 

I'm wondering if this could be a second option would be to use 2, 4" portable pier extension tubes. 

What say ya'll?  

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,789
Software Bisque Employee

I'll leave the question about using two 4-inch extensions to someone more qualified on that subject. But it sounds as if you may be assuming that the CGE Pro and MX+ mounts have their centers-of-motion (CM) at the same location relative to the pier, and that they offset the OTA from this point by the same distance. I don't think that's very likely to be true, though I don't know whether the difference would be enough to matter with respect to fitting in a dome or under a roll-off roof.

If you haven't already considered this, I'd suggest that you study the Paramount MX Basic Dimensions drawing. And while it's not official, I've attached to this post a version of that document to which I've added some more details to give a more complete picture. If you tell me your site's latitude, I can determine the corresponding horizontal and vertical offsets of the mount's CM.

Brian S. Rickard
Software Bisque, Inc.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,984
Software Bisque Employee

scubabri:
I'm purchasing a used MX+
Be sure to review this article to make sure your software licenses are transferred and up to date.

scubabri:
I currently have a CGE Pro on the pier and I need to replicate the height.
Based on this page, it may be helpful to establish either:

• The orientation the OTA must be in (park position) to prevent collision with a roll off roof.  What is the orientation of the OTA when the roof is closed?  (For example, pointing south, toward the horizon?)

-OR-

• What is the maximum height of the imaging system so that it can fit inside a dome?  In order to achieve balance in Dec, the C14 OTA must be mounted to the Versa-Plate in a position that will most likely increase the maximum height of the imaging system.  This could be an issue for a dome.

scubabri:
I'm wondering if this could be a second option would be to use 2, 4" portable pier extension tubes. 
The Software Bisque Pier Extension Tubes are compatible with the Pyramid Portable Pier, and are not compatible with permanent piers.

Daniel R. Bisque

Software Bisque, Inc.

862 Brickyard Circle

Golden, Colorado 80403-8058

Office Hours: 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday GMT-7:00

Posting Etiquette

Not Ranked
Posts 3

I was just wondering if I could use the extensions. So that solves that question. Next question, will you be able to make a custom pier 8" in height?

thanks

Brian

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,984
Software Bisque Employee

scubabri:
Next question, will you be able to make a custom pier 8" in height?
You can purchase the Software Bisque Permanent Pier (Custom Height) product from the Software Bisque Store.  Please specify the desired height, and, if you want, that you need a permanent pier for the Paramount MX+ (which comes with a smaller top plate compared to the ME II/MX-compatible top plate on the standard model pier).

Daniel R. Bisque

Software Bisque, Inc.

862 Brickyard Circle

Golden, Colorado 80403-8058

Office Hours: 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday GMT-7:00

Posting Etiquette

Not Ranked
Posts 3

Perfecto! thanks... still 12 weeks?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,124

I have no idea how your current pier is set up, but, if it were me I'd buy a single Bisque pier of the correct height instead of getting involved in all sorts of "attachments" and "things" to make them mate up.  You could end up with flexure issues that will drive you crazy.  I have a gigantic load on a Bisque pier and its ROCK stable.  So they don't flex, I think I'm pushing 680 to 700 lbs, but at least its in that range.

Peter

www.Darkestskies.com  Remote Astroimaging

www.astrometrics.com Dome Controllers

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS

© 2018 Software Bisque, Inc. 862 Brickyard Circle, Golden, CO 80403-8058 USA - phone: +1 303 278 4478 fax: +1 303 278 0045
Google+