Software Bisque

Take a virtual tour of the Software Bisque campus Watch Steve Bisque discuss the Paramount mount with S&T's Dennis Di Cicco Read the Paramount MYT Review Read about the Paramount Software Suite

Electronics Failure?

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 6
amydove Posted: 05-11-2018 3:14 PM

Hello,

I have a Paramount ME (with a 14" Celestron Edge HD on a Pier-Tech pier, used with The Sky 6 software, all purchased and installed in late 2009), and two nights ago it did not turn on correctly. The night before that it was used for a few hours and was fine, no errors or issues. (Admittedly it was used by a student of mine, so he could be fibbing, but I am inclined to believe that he didn't do something stupid to it.) I just checked again today and it still isn't working. When the power switch is turned on, the two blue LEDs come on and remain steady, but the orange LED is not on (as far as I can see in the semi-daylight). There is no audible feedback - no beeps, and no hum. TheSky6 cannot connect to it ("Paramount ME not responding. Please check communications port setting, power and connections to the control system.") I have checked all of the cords and connections. The joystick does not home or slew. (The joystick red light can be turned on, so it is getting power.)

What are my next steps?

Thanks,

Amy

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,984
Software Bisque Employee

amydove:
What are my next steps?
This article describes the troubleshooting process. 

• If the either board needs replaced, you may need to return them to Software Bisque for repair.  While we can't guarantee it can be repaired, (some components are no longer manufactured), we can try.
  • The MKS 5000 Control System Upgrade is an option if the PCBs cannot be fixed.

Daniel R. Bisque

Software Bisque, Inc.

862 Brickyard Circle

Golden, Colorado 80403-8058

Office Hours: 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday GMT-7:00

Posting Etiquette

Not Ranked
Posts 6

Thank you, I will go through those steps and hope for the best. 

Not Ranked
Posts 6

Thanks for your help. I checked the power supply and it is at 46.5 V. The leads on the 6-conductor cable are 46.5V, 11.3V, and 4.8V. Do you think that this is enough discrepancy to cause the behavior we are seeing? Should we try a new power supply?

Thanks,

Amy

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,984
Software Bisque Employee

amydove:
The leads on the 6-conductor cable are 46.5V
This should be 48V, minimum. 

amydove:
Should we try a new power supply?
Yes.  Replacement Paramount ME Power Supply Units are available on the Software Bisque Store.

Daniel R. Bisque

Software Bisque, Inc.

862 Brickyard Circle

Posting Etiquette

Not Ranked
Posts 6

Great, I'm glad it is likely an easy fix. Thanks for your help.

Incidentally, what is the typical lifetime of a power supply? We replaced ours in 2015, so I'm wondering it this is expected, or if we should be looking at what is causing our power supplies to fail.

Amy

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,984
Software Bisque Employee

amydove:
Incidentally, what is the typical lifetime of a power supply?
I have empirical evidence, only.  Many have been in use more than decade.

amydove:
We replaced ours in 2015, so I'm wondering it this is expected, or if we should be looking at what is causing our power supplies to fail.
See this related post for suggestions and recommendations.

Daniel R. Bisque

Software Bisque, Inc.

862 Brickyard Circle

Posting Etiquette

Not Ranked
Posts 6

Hello again,

We have received the new power supply, ordered from the link you gave above. We checked it right out of the box and it is 46.2 V.  This is discouraging. Should we exchange for another one, or does this suggest that the power supplies generally are less than 48V, and therefore that is not our issue?

Thanks,

Amy

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS

© 2018 Software Bisque, Inc. 862 Brickyard Circle, Golden, CO 80403-8058 USA - phone: +1 303 278 4478 fax: +1 303 278 0045
Google+