Software Bisque

Take a virtual tour of the Software Bisque campus Watch Steve Bisque discuss the Paramount mount with S&T's Dennis Di Cicco Read the Paramount MYT Review Read about the Paramount Software Suite

TheSkyX Pro

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Don Van Akker Posted: 05-25-2018 10:06 AM

I am considering the purchase of TheSkyX pro. I am using an SBIG STL 11000 with internal guide chip on a Pyxis rotator. I need to be able to see a field of view indicator for the SBIG and be able to rotate it on the screen and have the rotator follow.

Will SkyX pro do this?

Don Van Akker

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,931
Software Bisque Employee

Yes (on Windows and Mac). TheSkyX Professional Edition's optional Camera Add On supports both the SBIG STL-series cameras and Pyxis rotators. Additionally, one can configure a field-of-view-indicator (FOVI) that indicates both the imaging and guiding fields, and be actively linked to the rotator..

I'll also point out that the Camera Add On is available on a free trial basis during the first 90 days after first installing TheSkyX Professional Edition. For more on that, see our knowledge base article How to Obtain, Activate and Update TheSkyX Add Ons.

Brian S. Rickard
Software Bisque, Inc.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 86

Brian,

Just to add, the SkyX field of view indicator for older SBIG cameras such as the STL and ST range already includes the guide chip.  So no need to configure anything, it is there out of the box.  That isn't true for more modern SBIG cameras (like the STF and STT range), I guess because the guide chips are not built-in.

A caution though.  The STL and ST range do not currently connect on a Mac running a recent OS, at least that is my experience.  There are two work-arounds that I know of: (i) disabling Mac security or (ii) jump starting in Windows and reconnecting to a Mac.  For me (i) is unattractive and (ii) is rather pointless but might be helpful in an emergency at a star party.  Since I have a significant number of ST and STL cameras, I had to switch to Windows to operate them.

See this thread with more details:  http://www.bisque.com/sc/forums/p/29925/152235.aspx#152235

As far as I know, the driver issue still has not been resolved by SBIG and I have accepted that it never will.  These are old cameras, I guess.  For practical purposes I believe that STL and ST cameras do not now work in Mac.  I assume (but do not know) that the same will be true with competitor software given that nor do the cameras connect in CcdOps for Mac.

Mark

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,931
Software Bisque Employee

mwt2311:
Just to add, the SkyX field of view indicator for older SBIG cameras such as the STL and ST range already includes the guide chip.  So no need to configure anything, it is there out of the box.

Yes, one needn't empirically determine the position angle and offset of the guider's field relative to the imager's, as with some other models. Otherwise, I'd have provided links to instructions that aid with that process. What I meant by "configure" an FOVI includes specifying the optic, camera model and, in this case, enabling the rotator link.

Thanks for reporting your experience with macOS.

Brian S. Rickard
Software Bisque, Inc.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS

© 2018 Software Bisque, Inc. 862 Brickyard Circle, Golden, CO 80403-8058 USA - phone: +1 303 278 4478 fax: +1 303 278 0045
Google+