Software Bisque

Take a virtual tour of the Software Bisque campus Watch Steve Bisque discuss the Paramount mount with S&T's Dennis Di Cicco Read the Paramount MYT Review Read about the Paramount Software Suite

FLI Filter Wheel will not connect to the Sky Professional

rated by 0 users
This post has 27 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 52

Hi once again,

Unexpectedly, i cannot get the Sky to reconnect to my FLI 10-7 filter wheel.

Background:  I have  dual scope system, each with an FLI camera and filter wheel.

After a few weeks of exclusively connecting my FLi 1803/ 14" Planewave for photography,  i reconnected my FLI50100/Tak 5" to resume wide-field imaging.  The camera and focuser connected mmediately, but the Sky Pro does not connect to my FLi 10-7 filter wheel (which is plugged intoUBS Port A on my MEII mount).

I updated the Sky Pro today; issue remains.  I tried replacing both the USB cable and the power supply.  No luck. I tried directly connecting the Wheel via USB to my laptop. No luck.

In the attached composite photo you can see the screens on my laptop.

Screen !:  The Filter Wheel Plugin 2.0 "Connect to an FLI Filter Wheel"   is selected

Screen 2: "No Filter Wheel Found" under settings

Screen 3: Hardware Selection.  Filter Wheel Plugin 2.0 FLI Wheel

Screen 4:  "Error= 200" appears when attempting to press the "Connect" button.

Lower right photo shows my my power and USB cables connected to the FLI wheel.

Thank you sincerely for your help in resolving this problem.

Phil Orbanes

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,931
Software Bisque Employee

philip e orbanes:
I updated the Sky Pro today…

Please explicitly state the version and (most importantly) build number of TheSkyX. Might as well also state which Mac OS version you're using.

Is TheSkyX still able to connect to your other FLI filter wheel?

Brian S. Rickard
Software Bisque, Inc.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,224

If you type:

ioreg -p IOUSB -w0 | sed 's/[^o]*o //; s/@.*$//' | grep -v '^Root.*'

at the terminal window command line, it will list the USB devices that the Macintosh knows about. An alternate method is to click:

"Apple Menu" -> About this Mac -> System Report -> USB

Can you see something that represents the FLI filter wheel in the list? Is the list similar to what you see on the other setup (with the working filter wheel)? Be aware that the USB device may not literally say "filter wheel" in the listing, it's just a guide to USB chips plugged into the Macintosh.

Also, I know that it's awkward because it may mean running a second cable, but if you plug the second filter wheel directly into the Macintosh, can you connect to the wheel? As Brian notes, Apple continuously changes things under the hood, so the version of the operating system may be important.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 52

Thanks..After doing as you requested, I discovered the problem is more serious than I thought.

I am running Mac OS 10. 8.5

I am running the latest Daily Build of the Sky Pro 10.5, Build 11445

When I reconnected my CDK14's  FLI 16803 camera to either UBS A or B on my ME II mount,  it did not connect.

I got Error = 203

The filter wheel for this camera is connected directly to it through the extra ports on the 16803, so it did not connect either.

Note: my FLI50100 camera not does use a port on my ME; i connect it directly to my laptop. And since this camera does not have "piggyback" ports, I have to use USB cables from ports A and B to connect to the Tak's Atlas focuser and filter wheel. Curiously, the Atlas focuser connects and works fine, but  as reported, my FLI 10-7 filter wheel, does not connect.

To sum up:

Problem 1. My FLI 18603 camera will not connect  via Port A or B (and therefore so won't its piggybacked  filter wheel).

Problem 2. My FLI 50100 connects directly, and works, but its filter wheel will not connect no matter if I plug it into ports A or B or directly to my laptop.

I did not experience Problems #1 until I installed the current Daily Build.

2. I noticed Problem #2 when reconnecting my FLI50100 after several weeks (it had always connected perfectly beforehand).

(Both my scopes are permanently mounted in my observatory, so no hardware was moved or adjusted)..

Thanks once more for your help,

Phil O.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,207
Software Bisque Employee

Just a note to add to this, there have been some recent issues with FLI devices on the latest macOS Sierra. An imminent daily build has updates to these plug-in that should address these.

Richard

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,931
Software Bisque Employee

philip e orbanes:
…I have to use USB cables from ports A and B to connect to the Tak's Atlas focuser and filter wheel. Curiously, the Atlas focuser connects and works fine…

Do I understand correctly that the focuser works through one (or both?) of the USB ports on the mount's Instrument Panel? If not, does anything (e.g. a USB flash, or thumb, drive) work on these ports?

philip e orbanes:
Problem 1. My FLI 18603 camera will not connect  via Port A or B (and therefore so won't its piggybacked  filter wheel).

And what about when the FLI 18603 is plugged directly into a USB port on your computer? (I didn't see that mentioned.)

UPDATE: In light of Richard's response (which I'd not seen before now), perhaps an update to TheSkyX—when available—will solve your problem, even though you're using an older version of OS X.

Brian S. Rickard
Software Bisque, Inc.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 52

Thats for the request to experiment further.

NOTHING works now. This means the latest Daily Build must be the reason.

To sum up, prior to installing the June 1 Build, all of my FLI equipment connected properly, EXCEPT the 10-7 Filter Wheel.

After installing, neither my 16803 or 50100 cameras will connect, nor will either of my FLI filter wheels, or my Atlas focuser.

It doesn't matter if I plug them directly into my laptop, or into ME II UBS ports A or B.i tried. Nothing is detected at the UBS ports.

Do I read you correctly that the solutions to these connectivity problems await a new update to the Sky Pro?

When will I be "up and running" once again?

Thank you,

Phil O.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,207
Software Bisque Employee

philip e orbanes:
When will I be "up and running" once again?

Soon, a Daily Build should be out soon, with fixes for 10.8. I'd post the binaries here, but the latest versions are also using a new interface that won't work with your existing build.

Richard

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,931
Software Bisque Employee

philip e orbanes:
…the latest Daily Build must be the reason.

If so, then restoring the prior build you were using should restore the device functionality. For the Mac version, either restore from a Time Machine backup, or use the method described in this post. (For the benefit of other readers, for the Windows version see Restoring TheSkyX to a Previous Build.)

Brian S. Rickard
Software Bisque, Inc.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,207
Software Bisque Employee

philip e orbanes:
…the latest Daily Build must be the reason.

Yes, what Brian said. The back story on this is some recent changes to macOS broke the FLI plug-in, but it seemed to depend on the generation of Mac hardware. FLI did a whole new backend that we are now using on Linux and macOS both (no more kernel modules for Linux either!!!!). Unfortunately, the plug-in was marked for OSX 10.9 or later (my fault, a pretty old OS<g>). The fix was simple enough, and we'll get it out soon.

Richard

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 52

Before I try to restore, I'm still grappling with why my FLI 10-7 filter wheel would not connect with the Sky Pro when I tried to reconnect it prior to updating The Sky Pro.

This likely means restoring to my older build is not going to help. 

Quick summary: I have been exclusively using my 16803 camera and its filter wheel from Jan. to May. I switched back to my 50100 and its 10-7 filter wheel on June 1st and found inexplicably that the 10-7 would not connect (the camera and Atlas focuser worked fine). My instinct was to immediately download the latest Daily Build.But doings caused all of my FLI equipment stopped connecting.

So Question: with no software change, why would the 10-7 have been unable to connect when it worked fine the last time is was connected?  That's why I don't think restoring will help. Wish it would.

Perhaps my best bet is to wait for your anticipated  new build?

Thank you.

Phil

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 52

OK, successfully  restored the Sky Pro:  Dec 2014 MAC  full installer; Nov, 2016 update.

I am back to just one problem, which is where I was prior to installing the problematic June 1 Daily Build.

4 of my 5 FLI components connect (both FLI cameras and my 16803's 5-7 filter wheel and the 50100's Atals focuser).

The 50100's 10-7 filter wheel, still will not connect. 

So, sit tight until  your new update is available?

Phil O.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,931
Software Bisque Employee

philip e orbanes:
That's why I don't think restoring will help. Wish it would.

Restoring the prior build should be an easy procedure, as should be returning to the latest update, if you decide to. I don't think you should be reluctant to try it.

UPDATE: Sorry, I hadn't yet seen your post (which was awaiting moderation) that you'd restored the prior build.

Brian S. Rickard
Software Bisque, Inc.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,931
Software Bisque Employee

philip e orbanes:
OK, successfully  restored the Sky Pro:  Dec 2014 MAC  full installer; Nov, 2016 update.

I believe you mean build 10305. You don't have backups of any of the daily builds between that and 11445?

philip e orbanes:
So, sit tight until  your new update is available?

Perhaps so, based on Richard's information.

Brian S. Rickard
Software Bisque, Inc.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 52

Correct. I updated via Build 10305; which I just downloaded from your site.

I would be delighted to download a later Build that connected with my 10-7 filter wheel, if one were available now.

Thanks Brian,

Phil

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

© 2018 Software Bisque, Inc. 862 Brickyard Circle, Golden, CO 80403-8058 USA - phone: +1 303 278 4478 fax: +1 303 278 0045
Google+