Software Bisque

Take a virtual tour of the Software Bisque campus Watch Steve Bisque discuss the Paramount mount with S&T's Dennis Di Cicco Read the Paramount MYT Review Read about the Paramount Software Suite

Telescope control and upgrade to Professional Astronomer

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 1
m2fisher Posted: 06-22-2018 11:43 AM

I currently have the Serious Astronomer Edition and would like to upgrade. I have two telescope mounts:

1) Skywatcher NEQ6 Pro with handset version 3.39.05 - does the Professional Edition control this mount directly?

2) Meade RCX 400 with Autostar II handset - does the Professional Edition control all the functions of this mount directly, especially the focus function?

I am also thinking of incorporating camera control and have an Atik Horizon, Does the camera add on operate the Atik software provided with the camera, i.e. Artemis and infinity? I also use Maxim DL 6 so maybe camera add-on is not an issue. Please comment.

Many thanks

Not Ranked
Posts 17

I currently run the Sky X Pro with an NEQ6 Pro mount through an EQMOD cable and EQMOD which provides the ASCOM drivers required to run the mount. I haven't had any issues with doing this and this approach effectively allows me to plate solve to a target through either image link or closed loop slew for imaging.

I run an Atik CCD through the Sky X Pro, but also have Artemis. The camera add on does not use Artemis, but will happily capture images using the Atik. Its just a matter of setting up the camera and using the image capture in the Sky X instead of having another program open. Using the camera add on will allow you to use the closed loop slew and image link functions as well.

Brian

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,015
Software Bisque Employee

Thank you for considering upgrading to TheSkyX Professional Edition. I'd recommend that you see TheSkyX Pro Upgrade Options and FAQs.

Both TheSkyX Serious Astronomer Edition and TheSkyX Professional Edition have native go-to slewing support of SynScan-equipped Sky-Watcher mounts (including the NEQ6) and Meade go-to mounts (including the RCX400). Please see TheSkyX Professional Edition Supported Telescopes.

The optional Camera Add On to TheSkyX Professional Edition adds support for most cameras, focusers, filter wheels and rotators—including focuser control through Meade Autostar-series hand controllers. Please see Camera Add On - Other Natively Supported Devices.

m2fisher:
Does the camera add on operate the Atik software provided with the camera, i.e. Artemis and infinity?

The Camera Add On to TheSkyX Professional includes support of the Atik family of cameras. Please see Camera Add On - Natively Supported Cameras.

Brian S. Rickard
Software Bisque, Inc.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,015
Software Bisque Employee

brisen:
I currently run the Sky X Pro with an NEQ6 Pro mount through an EQMOD cable and EQMOD which provides the ASCOM drivers required to run the mount.

Note that TheSkyX Serious Astronomer Edition and TheSkyX Professional Edition have native support of the NEQ6 (via the SynScan hand controller). Also, a user-developed TheSkyX native (X2) plug-in is available that supports Sky-Watcher mounts equipped with an EQDIR cable (bypassing the hand controller). ASCOM is not required.

Brian S. Rickard
Software Bisque, Inc.

Not Ranked
Posts 17

Brian

Thanks for this information. Just a query as to whether the X2 plugin will allow for a meridian flip from within the Sky X Pro?

Brian

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,015
Software Bisque Employee

What exactly do you mean by "allow for" a meridian flip? My understanding is that the Sky-Watcher EQDIR X2 plug-in works correctly with TheSkyX's ability to automatically handle the reversed polarity of an autoguider's axes following a meridian flip. Or are you asking if the plug-in will perform a meridian flip when appropriate to a commanded slew (which I think it must)? Either way, I'd suggest that you confirm with the plug-in's author, Colin McGill.

Brian S. Rickard
Software Bisque, Inc.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS

© 2018 Software Bisque, Inc. 862 Brickyard Circle, Golden, CO 80403-8058 USA - phone: +1 303 278 4478 fax: +1 303 278 0045
Google+