Software Bisque

Take a virtual tour of the Software Bisque campus Watch Steve Bisque discuss the Paramount mount with S&T's Dennis Di Cicco Read the Paramount MYT Review Read about the Paramount Software Suite

Paramount ME and TheSkyX RA way off

rated by 0 users
This post has 22 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 17

Tom

After changing the Absolute Hour Angle to 2, I have saved the settings to the mount. Your question's a good one; I noticed last night that when I save the settings to the mount (with AHA at 2), and then immediately read the settings from the mount, the AHA is right back at zero--or maybe they're not getting to the mount at all. 

I'll try and power cycle the mount and post a screen shot of the sky chart. It's probably evident from this string I'm not a computer whiz.

Bradford Mead
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 27,299
Software Bisque Employee

Please try:

1. If necessary, install the latest daily build of TheSkyX Pro for Windows.
  2. See Restoring the Paramount to Default Settings in the Troubleshooting section (page 24) of the Paramount GEM MKS 5000 Replacement Instructions (note: while this document is specifically written for the MKS 5000 replacement, the procedure to restore default Paramount settings from TheSkyX Pro also applies to the Paramount ME/MKS 4000.)
  3. Home the mount.

What is the HA and Dec reported by TheSkyX now?

Related thread

Daniel R. Bisque

Software Bisque, Inc.

862 Brickyard Circle

Golden, Colorado 80403-8058

Office Hours: 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday GMT-7:00

Posting Etiquette

Not Ranked
Posts 17

I'll give those steps a try Daniel. Thanks!

The HA and Dec reported by TheSkyX (the settings in the TCS) are 0 for both. If there's a different report, I'm not sure where to find it.

Bradford Mead
Not Ranked
Posts 17

Colin,

This seemed like a good idea to me too. And I did try to do this first. The software indicates the sync correction is too large. (I'm not in the observatory now, so I cannot remember the exact language, but that was the gist of the error message).

Bradford Mead
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 27,299
Software Bisque Employee

Brad Mead:
The HA and Dec reported by TheSkyX (the settings in the TCS) are 0 for both. If there's a different report, I'm not sure where to find it.

1. Restoring the MKS 4000 to default settings must configure the HA = 2.0 and Dec = 0.0.  If it does not, something's wrong, and we need to figure out why the default home position is wrong.  The mount cannot operate normally otherwise.
  2. After successfully homing the mount, the telescope cross hairs on the Sky Chart must be at HA = 2.0, Dec = 0.0.  See Homing on pages 21-25 in the Paramount User Guide Revision 2.7 for details about the home position on the Sky Chart.

Daniel R. Bisque

Software Bisque, Inc.

862 Brickyard Circle

Golden, Colorado 80403-8058

Office Hours: 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday GMT-7:00

Posting Etiquette

Not Ranked
Posts 17

Daniel,

I'll double check when it's dark, but I think your fix has worked. The Absolute Hour Angle has reset (and stayed) at 2. And without looking through the telescope it seems to have accurately slewed to the sun. Thanks to you and everyone who weighed in for the great customer and community support.

Bradford Mead
Not Ranked
Posts 17

Hello Brad,

I just ran into the same problem with my Paramount ME, MKS3000 firmware version 1.1.45

Somehow my Hour angle got messed up and then I fixed it by restoring default mount settings. Its all working now :-) 

-Tony Blakesley

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,585

I ran into this recently as well with an ME. I probably solved it incorrectly by Syncing a star.

Page 2 of 2 (23 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS

© 2019 Software Bisque, Inc. 862 Brickyard Circle, Golden, CO 80403-8058 USA - phone: +1 303 278 4478 fax: +1 303 278 0045
Google+