Software Bisque

Take a virtual tour of the Software Bisque campus Watch Steve Bisque discuss the Paramount mount with S&T's Dennis Di Cicco Read the Paramount MYT Review Read about the Paramount Software Suite

Mac OS Sierra Clock problem

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Sundhar Ramasamy Posted: 07-08-2018 9:16 PM

Upon startup of The SkyX Pro, following all updates including daily build, the software reports time one hour behind computer clock even though "use computer clock" is checked.  Attempting clock verification in the tools menu reports "error 209."  

I'm using Mac OSX High Sierra 10.13.4

When I switch to windows under bootcamp and run The SkyX Pro under windows 10, I have no such problem. I would prefer to use the mac side.  Any suggestions on a clock fix?

Thanks

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,777
Software Bisque Employee

See this post.

• The independent site used to verify time now uses https, and the URL needs updated.  This issue will be addressed on the next update.
  • Unfortunately, the independent site that now uses https does not have a valid security certificate, so it can no longer be used to retrieve time.

Looking for alternatives...

Daniel R. Bisque

Software Bisque, Inc.

862 Brickyard Circle

Golden, Colorado 80403-8058

Office Hours: 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday GMT-7:00

Posting Etiquette

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,287
Software Bisque Employee

Sundhar Ramasamy:
Upon startup of The SkyX Pro, following all updates including daily build, the software reports time one hour behind computer clock even though "use computer clock" is checked.

Short answer: You've apparently configured TheSkyX and your OS for different time zone or daylight saving offsets. If that's not intentional, then you should correct this in one, or (unlikely) both.

Long answer:

You seem to expect the Use Computer Clock option to instruct TheSkyX to match its indicated "local" time to that shown by your operating system (OS). But whether or not that is the result depends upon how you've configured both TheSkyX and the OS clock. If both are configured for the same time zone and daylight saving offsets, then they should agree. Otherwise, they can be different—and that can be desirable (an example could include when remotely controlling a telescope situated in a time zone different from your own).

Internally, TheSkyX always works from Universal Time (UT). When the Use Computer Clock option is activated, TheSkyX derives UT from the OS, and displays "local" time by converting from that UT. When the Use Computer Clock option is deactivated, TheSkyX derives UT by converting from its indicated "local" time (e.g. what appears in the Time and Date toolbar). In both cases, the conversion applies the time zone and daylight saving offsets defined in the Input > Location window.

The reason to deactivate the Use Computer Clock option is that TheSkyX can then be manually set (or progressed) to any time between 4713 BC and 10000 AD.

TheSkyX can obtain an incorrect UT from the OS if the clock has been manually set incorrectly, or it has drifted excessively since it was last set (manually or automatically). The Tools > Verify TheSkyX Time command is intended to verify that the OS clock is reasonably accurate (within five seconds). As Daniel pointed out, that functionality has been broken temporarily by changes in the third-party service, but we anticipate resolving this in the near future.

Brian S. Rickard
Software Bisque, Inc.

Not Ranked
Posts 2

Brian,

Thanks for providing that explanation.  I reviewed my setting for Mac OS and found that DST was active for both system and TheSky clock.  Further investigation revealed that the drop down location database list incorrectly reports the timezone as -6.00 for Saginaw, MI.  However, using my zip code of 48603 provides the proper timezone of -5.00. This corrected the problem.  Both Mac and Windows versions have the same time zone location error within the dropdown list.  To my knowledge, the other Michigan locations have the correct time zone.

Regards,

Sundhar

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,287
Software Bisque Employee

Thanks for reporting this, Sundhar. It does appear that the time zone definition for Saginaw is incorrect in TheSkyX's locations file. I anticipate that we will correct that fairly soon, but in the meantime, you may either change the Time Zone value to be -5.00 hours on the Custom tab of the Input > Locations window, or edit the value in the source file itself, Locations.txt. That file is found in the root of TheSkyX's Application Support Files (ASF) folder (this is a description of the folder, not its name!...follow the link for details).

Sundhar Ramasamy:
To my knowledge, the other Michigan locations have the correct time zone.

Almost. All of the seven other Michigan cities in TheSkyX's locations list have a UT-5h time zone, but in one case, Iron River, it should instead be UT-6h, as the four counties bordering Wisconsin are in the US Central Time Zone.

Brian S. Rickard
Software Bisque, Inc.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,777
Software Bisque Employee

Brian Rickard:
Good catch, fixed.  Iron River, Michigan is listed in TheSkyX's location database because of the rich Bisque family history in this small town, dating back to 1884, and the subject of my late father's book.  We better get the time zone right!

Daniel R. Bisque

Software Bisque, Inc.

862 Brickyard Circle

Golden, Colorado 80403-8058

Office Hours: 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday GMT-7:00

Posting Etiquette

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS

© 2018 Software Bisque, Inc. 862 Brickyard Circle, Golden, CO 80403-8058 USA - phone: +1 303 278 4478 fax: +1 303 278 0045
Google+