Software Bisque

Take a virtual tour of the Software Bisque campus Watch Steve Bisque discuss the Paramount mount with S&T's Dennis Di Cicco Read the Paramount MYT Review Read about the Paramount Software Suite

Is off-axis guiding still needed with the Taurus 400 with absolute encoders?

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 424
Ed33635 Posted: 07-11-2018 6:45 PM

Hi, I have a CDK20 on a Paramount ME.  I am used to using an "Off Axis Guider" with a small CCD camera like the one shown here:

https://optcorp.com/products/an-mmoag-monstermoag-off-axis-guider-1-port

I am considering the purchase of a Taurus 400 mount with absolute encoders.  Will off-axis guiding still be necessary to get best tracking?  Or will the encoders on the Taurus be so accurate that guiding is not be needed anymore?  Thanks. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,412

Ed33635:
I am considering the purchase of a Taurus 400 mount with absolute encoders.  Will off-axis guiding still be necessary to get best tracking?  Or will the encoders on the Taurus be so accurate that guiding is not be needed anymore
However good the open-loop tracking, the utmost accuracy will always require guiding.

Whether or not a given mount will deliver unguided imagery of adequate quality depends on many things, not all of them to do with the mount hardware.

The main advantages of the on-axis encoders are that they (i) know where they are at all times even at start-up and (ii) are completely free from periodic error.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,497

You may need the 500 for that size scope.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,777
Software Bisque Employee

Colin Haig:
You may need the 500 for that size scope.
Agreed.

Daniel R. Bisque

Software Bisque, Inc.

862 Brickyard Circle

Golden, Colorado 80403-8058

Office Hours: 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday GMT-7:00

Posting Etiquette

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 786

I can give you a live demonstration on a Taurus. Contact me if you are interested.

TolgaAstro 

tolga@tolgaastro.com 

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS

© 2018 Software Bisque, Inc. 862 Brickyard Circle, Golden, CO 80403-8058 USA - phone: +1 303 278 4478 fax: +1 303 278 0045
Google+