Software Bisque

Take a virtual tour of the Software Bisque campus Watch Steve Bisque discuss the Paramount mount with S&T's Dennis Di Cicco Read the Paramount MYT Review Read about the Paramount Software Suite

MYT Versa-Plate bolt sheared

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 8
AndrewS Posted: 07-23-2018 9:33 PM

Hello,

I finally received a tri-pier today, so was setting up to ensure everything mated properly for my first run with my MYT.  When attaching the scope (Celestron 8" Edge) to the Versa-Plate, I made it finger tight, and when I tried to do the 1/4 turn with the allen key, the bolt just sheared.  It was really very little force applied. 

I had noticed that when I received the mount, there was a small grind mark/scuff on this particular bolt, I presume from some step in manufacturing, or during QA testing?  None of the other bolts have it.  See the attached pics.  I had thought it was a minor irritation, but not a big deal, until this problem.

Please let me know how this can be rectified.

Thanks,

Andrew

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,123
Software Bisque Employee

I apologize for the problem. You'll need a replacement Paramount MYT Versa-Plate Brass Plunger.

If this is still within the two-year warranty period for the mount, you may submit a completed Software Bisque RMA Request Form. See Warranty and Product Return Procedures for more information.

Brian S. Rickard
Software Bisque, Inc.

Not Ranked
Posts 8

Thanks, Brian.  I'm definitely within the warranty period, as my mount is less than a month old.  This is the first time I tried to attach my scope.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,339
Software Bisque Employee

AndrewS:
everything mated properly for my first run with my MYT.
Software Bisque will replace the Versa-Plate bolt and plunger under warranty.

While the shearing force of this component should be greater than you describe, please see this post for an explanation behind the design intent.

Daniel R. Bisque

Software Bisque, Inc.

862 Brickyard Circle

Golden, Colorado 80403-8058

Office Hours: 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday GMT-7:00

Posting Etiquette

Not Ranked
Posts 8

Thanks, Daniel.

In the meantime, I can swap the other plunger/bolt to the middle hole.  My Edge only uses two due to it having to be far enough ahead on the Versa-Plate to balance.

I read the post(s) you linked.  Interesting.  I think I'm going to be overly paranoid when securing my scope.  Then again, I can consider that people mount far heavier OTAs with this system, so mine should be relatively easy.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 540

Hi Andrew,

Yeah, I'm not at all paranoid after years of using my MX in the field with some pretty crazy setups including cameras well north of $100k. Sorry to hear you had an issue but from the picture you provided it looks like the bolt had a significant shear impact. Glad to see you're being taken care of.

Clear skies,

Bill

Not Ranked
Posts 8

Hi Bill,

Yes, I expect the paranoia will abate after a few setups. :)

It really does look like something had happened to the bolt, and probably affected it's strength.

Cheers,

Andrew

Not Ranked
Posts 8

Some additional information...

I just threaded the bolt plunger assembly from the third hole into the second.  When running it through it's travel, it seemed stiffer than either the plunger in the first hole, or the plunger in the third hole.  It also only seemed to thread in until the bolt head was maybe 1/16" from the Versa-Plate, then it became quite stiff.  In either of the other holes, the plunger can easily be threaded in until it's flush.

I actually tried this again, while I was writing this message, and it now seems to behave like the other two holes.  I can't find it, now, but I thought I read something about a screw that ensures the plunger is properly aligned, with the flat side down.  Could that have been the problem?  The plunger did appear to be properly oriented when I initially swapped it but found it to be stiff, so I'm really not sure why it's behaving differently.

Not Ranked
Posts 8

I just mounted my scope again, and noticed that the knob I replaced also has a similar scrape as the one that sheared.  I did tighten it and it seems okay.  Maybe there was a bad batch of knobs?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,339
Software Bisque Employee

AndrewS:
Maybe there was a bad batch of knobs?
Something's wrong here. 

• Software Bisque does not ship damaged components.
  • I just spoke with the individual who boxed that knob, and it was not damaged when it was placed inside the shipping box.
  • Somehow, the knob was damaged between here and there.

We'll send you another replacement knob.

Daniel R. Bisque

Software Bisque, Inc.

862 Brickyard Circle

Posting Etiquette

Not Ranked
Posts 8

I ordered through OPT, but as far as I know, they don't open/inspect before shipping to their customers, so I don't know what to tell you.  I can assure you it was nothing that happened here, as I noticed the scuffing on the first knob when I was unpacking.

As I said, I didn't have an issue tightening the second knob, which makes me wonder if the plunger was not seated properly when the first knob sheared.

Not Ranked
Posts 8

I should clarify, in case there is a misunderstanding...  When I'm referring to the 'second knob' I'm talking about another knob that was on the mount when I originally received it.  I'm NOT talking about the replacement you already sent, as I have not yet received that.

As you know, the MYT Versa-Plate has 3 knobs.  Since my scope only uses two when it is balanced properly, I swapped the third one to the middle hole.  That is what I'm referring to as the second knob.

So, in short, two of the three knobs that were on the mount when I originally received it had the scuffing that you see in the photos.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,339
Software Bisque Employee

AndrewS:
When I'm referring to the 'second knob' I'm talking about another knob that was on the mount when I originally received it.  I'm NOT talking about the replacement you already sent, as I have not yet received that.
Aha!  That makes more sense, and thanks for the clarification.

AndrewS:
So, in short, two of the three knobs that were on the mount when I originally received it had the scuffing that you see in the photos.
Gotcha. 

In any event, we're sending a second unblemished replacement knob today. 

Daniel R. Bisque

Software Bisque, Inc.

862 Brickyard Circle

Posting Etiquette

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS

© 2018 Software Bisque, Inc. 862 Brickyard Circle, Golden, CO 80403-8058 USA - phone: +1 303 278 4478 fax: +1 303 278 0045
Google+