Software Bisque

Take a virtual tour of the Software Bisque campus Watch Steve Bisque discuss the Paramount mount with S&T's Dennis Di Cicco Read the Paramount MYT Review Read about the Paramount Software Suite

Plate solving with a DSLR

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Duncan Hanford Posted: 08-01-2018 2:32 PM

Does anybody know if you can do plates solves in TheSky X Professional Edition using a DSLR with the Camera Add on or do you need a CCD camera?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,324
Software Bisque Employee

Yes, Image Link (TheSkyX's plate-solving feature) works with digital images from DSLR cameras. You may get better results if the image is binned (e.g. 2x2). If you've had difficulty making it work, please share an example image that hasn't worked for you, and we can help you determine the issue.

Brian S. Rickard
Software Bisque, Inc.

Not Ranked
Posts 3

Thank you Brian,

Would you suggest that I purchase a database add on? If so, which one?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,324
Software Bisque Employee

If you mean for improved Image Link results, I'd primarily recommend that you obtain our All Sky Image Link Database. This allows the use of TheSkyX's All Sky Image Link feature, which is an improvement over the standard Image Link. We offer three ways to obtain this database:

• It may be freely downloaded from our All Sky Image Link Database page by registered owners of TheSkyX Professional Edition. (Beware that, at 1.7 GB, this may take considerable time.)
  • It may be ordered for a small charge in the form of our All Sky Image Link Database DVD.
  • It is included on our Database Add On external drive (which includes over 200 GB of additional databases of astronomical objects).

While the physical nature of the Database Add On drive, and the catalogues it contains, has periodically changed over time, we only offer the latest version for sale.

Brian S. Rickard
Software Bisque, Inc.

Not Ranked
Posts 3

Thanks again Brian,

I really appreciate the help. 

Now for the stupid question. If I buy the external drive with the Database Add on will I be able to download it to my computer so that I won't need to leave it connected while I am imaging? I am already using 4 ports on a powered hub, plus the other 3 ports on the computer and I am afraid of too much traffic?

Not Ranked
Posts 17

I use the T-point add on and the Camera add on for plate solves and modeling with my Canon DSLR and it works great in 1x1 bin but even better using 2x2 bin. I used 10-15 sec exposures when I did 1x1 bin but with 2x2 bin I do 5 sec exposures in my red zone skies @ F5 and have no problems finding stars. I am absolutely amazed how well it works compared to when I did a blind solving with Sequence Generator Pro. 

I have to say, The SkyX + T-point + Camera add-on has been the most powerful and user friendly astro software I have used so far! 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,879
Software Bisque Employee

Duncan Hanford:
If I buy the external drive with the Database Add on will I be able to download it to my computer so that I won't need to leave it connected while I am imaging?
Yes. See Copying Database Add On to Another Drive for details.

Daniel R. Bisque

Software Bisque, Inc.

862 Brickyard Circle

Golden, Colorado 80403-8058

Office Hours: 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday GMT-7:00

Posting Etiquette

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,324
Software Bisque Employee

By email 2018-08-02 17:51Z (How do I reply to a post on the Software Bisque Forum?):

Duncan Hanford:

Thanks Tony, 
   That is great to hear. I appreciate the exposure, and binning details as well.
   I am using a slow f10  12 inch meade OTA so I may run into some issues there but I will try longer exposures if needed. Also I am trying to make this work with the pointing model in Astro Physics APCC Pro. Unfortunately the Point Mapper part of that program will not connect to my Canon 6D even though it is connected to TheSkyX.
     Duncan Scott Hanford

Brian S. Rickard
Software Bisque, Inc.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS

© 2018 Software Bisque, Inc. 862 Brickyard Circle, Golden, CO 80403-8058 USA - phone: +1 303 278 4478 fax: +1 303 278 0045
Google+