Software Bisque

Take a virtual tour of the Software Bisque campus Watch Steve Bisque discuss the Paramount mount with S&T's Dennis Di Cicco Read the Paramount MYT Review Read about the Paramount Software Suite

Paramount ME beeping on power up

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 4
brsteam Posted: 08-06-2018 12:19 PM

20 seconds after power is turned on the DEC led flashes and the beeping starts.  This happens sooner if I try to home the mount.

The DEC axis is balanced but the behavior exists if the worm gear is disengaged.

I've tried all the steps you outlined for Tony Houser in 2012 without changing the symptom.

What next?

Brice

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,879
Software Bisque Employee

brsteam:
I've tried all the steps you outlined for Tony Houser in 2012
Do you have a reference to this document (from about 6 years ago)? 

If not,

1. Turn the mount's power switch to the off position.
  2. Unplug every cable from both the Instrument Panel and the Adaptor Panel, except for the 48V power input.
  3. Turn the mount's power switch to the on position.  Does the behavior persist?

If so,

1. Turn the mount's power switch to the off position.
  2. With every cable from both the Instrument Panel and the Adaptor Panel, except for the 48V power input, unplugged, place both axes in the balance position.
  3. Turn the mount's power switch to the on position.  Does the behavior persist now?

Daniel R. Bisque

Software Bisque, Inc.

862 Brickyard Circle

Golden, Colorado 80403-8058

Office Hours: 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday GMT-7:00

Posting Etiquette

Not Ranked
Posts 4

Daniel,

None of the steps you outlined above changed the symptom.  After 20 seconds the DEC light flashes and there is continuous beeping.

After trying those steps I reconnected the joystick, applied power, and tried homing with the joystick from the balance position.

The RA homed normally.  The DEC light staarted flashing with continuous beeping immediately

Is the beeping caused by sensing over current or a lack of motion in the axis?

Brice.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,879
Software Bisque Employee

brsteam:
None of the steps you outlined above changed the symptom.
Thanks for this information.

brsteam:
After 20 seconds the DEC light flashes and there is continuous beeping.
If this occurs when there's no load (the system is in balance), then the most likely conclusion is that the Dec motor/cable/encoder needs replaced.

brsteam:
Is the beeping caused by sensing over current or a lack of motion in the axis?
Based on the information you have provided, the Dec axis, under no load, is beeping because the motor cannot rotate, at all, so motor initialization fails (and the control system emits an error condition).  If the motors can't rotate with no mechanical load, the next step is to remove the belts (no load at all).  If the motor, unfettered, cannot rotate, there's either:

• A problem with the motor or the encoder on the motor , or
  • The wiring to the motor (shorted/broken/frayed/connector unseated).  See this document; it shows each cable coming off the MKS 40000, and can be helpful in looking for failed cables.

While the control system will emit an error condition when the maximum current is applied to an initialized motor under load and there's no resulting rotation, that's not what's happening here.  Most likely, the Dec motor needs replaced. 

Useful links:

This post reported similar behavior, and replacing the Dec motor was the resolution (see the final post in the thread for a summary).

Daniel R. Bisque

Software Bisque, Inc.

862 Brickyard Circle

Posting Etiquette

Not Ranked
Posts 4

Daniel,

I removed the DEC axis drive top cover and found the motor shaft turned freely with power off.

I turned power on and the motor rotated clockwise for 20 seconds then stopped with LED blinking and beeping.

I re-seated all the cables on the MK3000 control board with no change in the behavior.

If this is a control board problem what are our upgrade options?

Brice

Not Ranked
Posts 4

Watching the telescope status in The Sky V5
I saw the following status changes as I turned the power on and the error occurred.

Power ON - before beeping and flashing           

RA        DEC

Status             200        400
Control state      4        3
servo state        18        2

Power ON - after beeping and flashing started           

RA        DEC

Status                200        402
Control state         4        1
servo state          18        2

Power ON - then home with joystick           

RA        DEC

Status             200        502
Control state      4        1
servo state        18        1

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,879
Software Bisque Employee

brsteam:
I turned power on and the motor rotated clockwise for 20 seconds then stopped with LED blinking and beeping.  I re-seated all the cables on the MK3000 control board with no change in the behavior.
What you describe indicates a Paramount ME Dec motor (or motor cable or motor-mounted encoder issue; all are included with a replacement Dec motor), not necessarily an MKS 3000 PCB issue.

Like in this thread, to further troubleshoot, the Dec motor cable could be swapped with the RA motor cable on the MKS3000 (don't forget to write down the motor index angles for each axis, then temporarily re-program the motor index angles for RA and Dec after swapping the motor cables), and see if the behavior persists (refer to this document).  If the RA now fails, the Dec motor needs replaced. 

Related MKS 3000 Troubleshooting Thread

brsteam:
If this is a control board problem what are our upgrade options?
I don't think this is a PCB issue.  But, if it is, the option are is to upgrade to the MKS 5000.

Daniel R. Bisque

Software Bisque, Inc.

862 Brickyard Circle

Posting Etiquette

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS

© 2018 Software Bisque, Inc. 862 Brickyard Circle, Golden, CO 80403-8058 USA - phone: +1 303 278 4478 fax: +1 303 278 0045
Google+