Software Bisque

Take a virtual tour of the Software Bisque campus Watch Steve Bisque discuss the Paramount mount with S&T's Dennis Di Cicco Read the Paramount MYT Review Read about the Paramount Software Suite

Low temperature operation of ME II with absolute encoders?

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 3
modulok Posted: 09-28-2018 11:16 PM

We're looking at purchasing an ME II with absolute encoders for use by our community college. We're in Montana and it can get frigid in winter. What is the low end of the operating temperature for this mount with encoders?

Thanks!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,648
Software Bisque Employee

modulok:
We're looking at purchasing an ME II with absolute encoders for use by our community college.
Thank you.

modulok:
We're in Montana and it can get frigid in winter. What is the low end of the operating temperature for this mount with encoders?
Let me check on the specifications for the encoders electronics.  (I don't know this off hand.)

Daniel R. Bisque

Software Bisque, Inc.

862 Brickyard Circle

Golden, Colorado 80403-8058

Office Hours: 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday GMT-7:00

Posting Etiquette

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,648
Software Bisque Employee

Sorry for the delayed response.  Software Bisque uses extended temperature range optical encoders, and the spec for the encoder hardware is minus 40°C (-40°F).

Anecdotally, students at CU's Sommers-Bauch Observatory use dual Paramount Taurus mounts (every clear night) with absolute, on-axis encoders.  They report operating the mounts below 0°F with no problems.

Daniel R. Bisque

Software Bisque, Inc.

862 Brickyard Circle

Golden, Colorado 80403-8058

Office Hours: 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday GMT-7:00

Posting Etiquette

Not Ranked
Posts 3

Thank you, Daniel!  Sounds like it should work for us.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 240

I'll add, anecdotally, that our Taurus 600 with encoders has not had any trouble this past winter in MA when it was below 0 F.  Definitely not our coldest on record but certainly operated fine in that sense.  We knocked our slew speed down to 60% I think when the mount temp trigger occurs.  Other items attached to telescope... not so great in the cold.  We found a fantastic computer that does not care what temp you throw at it - I can send you the model if you like.

===
Tim Brothers ... Observatory Site Manager
George R. Wallace Jr. Astrophysical Observatory ... Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Not Ranked
Posts 3

bro:
We found a fantastic computer that does not care what temp you throw at it - I can send you the model if you like.

Tim,

Yes, please!

Thank you.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS

© 2018 Software Bisque, Inc. 862 Brickyard Circle, Golden, CO 80403-8058 USA - phone: +1 303 278 4478 fax: +1 303 278 0045
Google+