Software Bisque

Take a virtual tour of the Software Bisque campus Watch Steve Bisque discuss the Paramount mount with S&T's Dennis Di Cicco Read the Paramount MYT Review Read about the Paramount Software Suite

Is there a source for the Large Dovetail bars that the stock MEII Versa Plate saddle uses?

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Michael Sibbernsen Posted: 10-01-2018 8:15 AM

I need a 24" long dovetail bar to attach to the rings of a recently acquired ATM -built telescope. I would like to use the Planewave-style "Large Dovetail" that that Versa Plate is capable of holding for mounting. I have contacted Planewave but wanted to see if there were any other sources.

Thank you for the information.

Michael

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,648
Software Bisque Employee

Michael Sibbernsen:
I need a 24" long dovetail bar to attach to the rings of a recently acquired ATM -built telescope.
Software Bisque does not manufacture the dovetail bar; it makes the Paramount ME II Dovetail Rails that are compatible with the Paramount ME II Versa-Plate, only.

Hopefully, others can offer alternatives to this rail, if they exist.

Daniel R. Bisque

Software Bisque, Inc.

862 Brickyard Circle

Golden, Colorado 80403-8058

Office Hours: 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday GMT-7:00

Posting Etiquette

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,489

Talk to a machine shop. A bar that long I’d probably mill out of 1/2” thick aluminum plate but they do this kind of thing in their sleep. You can show them a Losmandy bar and tell you need it scaled up. 

Not Ranked
Posts 2

Thank you for the information Dan.

Is there another, more standard way of connecting this tube to a Paramount MEII? My apologies for not knowing the particulars of your mount. The 175lb telescope has 22inch rings connected by bars separating them 24" apart. The rings have radius blocks to connect the rings to a plate/bar. Does the MEII accept a Losmandy plate (standard or with accessories), or should I continue to look for a larger compatible plate? 

Thanks again.

Michael

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,648
Software Bisque Employee

Michael Sibbernsen:
there another, more standard way of connecting this tube to a Paramount MEII?
The means by which OTAs are attached to the Paramount ME II's Versa-Plate vary, and there's no "standard" means of doing so:

• Officina Stellare and Planewave OTAs include a bar that is compatible with the Paramount ME II's Versa-Plate and Paramount ME II Dovetail Rails.
  • Software Bisque manufactures 16-inch and 14-inch OTA mounting rings for SCTs. (The closest thing to a standard for large, heavy OTAs).
  • Some OTAs come with Losmandy D dovetails that are compatible with the Versa-Plate's dovetail.
  • The Versa-Plate includes multiple, evenly-spaced holes designed to accommodate a variety of OTA mounting options.

Michael Sibbernsen:
The rings have radius blocks to connect the rings to a plate/bar. Does the MEII accept a Losmandy plate
Yes.  But, the Losmandy D dovetail is not inadequate to rigidly carry a 175-pound OTA.  A Planewave-compatible dovetail bar, coupled with the Paramount ME II's Versa-Plate and Paramount ME II Dovetail Rails is sufficient.

Daniel R. Bisque

Software Bisque, Inc.

862 Brickyard Circle

Golden, Colorado 80403-8058

Office Hours: 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday GMT-7:00

Posting Etiquette

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS

© 2018 Software Bisque, Inc. 862 Brickyard Circle, Golden, CO 80403-8058 USA - phone: +1 303 278 4478 fax: +1 303 278 0045
Google+