Software Bisque

Take a virtual tour of the Software Bisque campus Watch Steve Bisque discuss the Paramount mount with S&T's Dennis Di Cicco Read the Paramount MYT Review Read about the Paramount Software Suite

MYT, 10 inch Newt, breezy conditions

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 1
DLFischer Posted: 10-15-2018 1:11 PM

Hello,

I seek advice as to whether the MYT would be a suitable mount for my expected operating conditions.  2 alternative OTAs are shown because I have not yet decided between them.  Besides these telescopes, there will occasionally be smaller refractors employed.  For them, I have complete confidence in the MYT capability.

= = = = =

Usage:  Imaging - long exposure (narrow band), always guided

OTA:  Case 1:  10 inch F/4 Newtonian, estimated total payload 44 lbs with camera, filters, OAG

Case 2:  10 inch F/4 Newtonian, estimated total payload 36 lbs with camera, filters, OAG (Carbon fiber tube, lighter camera)

Installation:  Permanent pier at remote site with mount and optics only installed on days of use and taken down for storage all other times

Weather:  Breezy (gusts less than 20 mph, steady wind less than 15 mph).  Operating temps between 25 F and 75 F.  Storage temps between 10F and 130F.

Transportation:  Sometimes kept in secure weather-proof storage shed near pier, other times transported by car from home

Control:  Primarily by computer, probably Windows based. Preferred connection would be Ethernet.

Power:  110 VAC

Tracking / guiding accuracy:  Goal is 0.6 arc-sec with calm air and 0.8 arc-sec rms when breezy provided seeing conditions permit accurate guiding

= = = = =

Thank you for your help.

-- David F.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 99

The potential problems for those 2 cases are virtually identical because it appears that the only difference is OTA weight and both are within MYT specs.  I would not expect any difference at all, other than the CF OTA holding focus for longer periods.

The biggest potential problem is wind/breezes.  Newt OTA really catches the breeze that too easily induces vibrations and deviations.

Based on my own experience with C-11, I do not think the MYT portable pier/tripod can satisfactorily handle those scopes.  Even focusing will be a bit wobbly and any breeze will be troublesome. IMHO that pier/tripod is only good for small refractors.  But since you plan to use a sturdy permanent pier then you should be OK.

So - if you can afford it then go for the CF OTA because it will hold focus longer, probably looks nicer and probably has a better resale value.  But I do not expect the the marginal weight difference to significantly affect mount dynamics.

Stan

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,297

DLFischer:
Usage:  Imaging - long exposure (narrow band), always guided

OTA:  Case 1:  10 inch F/4 Newtonian, estimated total payload 44 lbs with camera, filters, OAG

Case 2:  10 inch F/4 Newtonian, estimated total payload 36 lbs with camera, filters, OAG (Carbon fiber tube, lighter camera)

Both are under the weight limit but you're gonna want the most stable / rigid OTA.   A Newt can be / is a flexy flier almost all the time.  The MyT should be okay but a MX+ would be best.

One of our main OTA's is a 16" F3.3 AG Optical Newt on a legacy ME.  Honeycomb carbon tube about 100lbs all set up.  The ME carries it no issue but the nature of the beast (longish tube, camera hanging off the front = a tad of flex) mean all must be rigid.

DLFischer:
Permanent pier at remote site with mount and optics only installed on days of use and taken down for storage all other times

Kinda defeats the purpose of an always ready remote site.

DLFischer:
Breezy (gusts less than 20 mph, steady wind less than 15 mph).  Operating temps between 25 F and 75 F.  Storage temps between 10F

If you're in a roll off the wind may cause some issues, nothing major.  Domes are best with some wind but $$$.  Those temps are perfect !

Tom

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,769
Software Bisque Employee

DLFischer:
I seek advice as to whether the MYT would be a suitable mount for my expected operating conditions. 
In order to produce the most stable imaging platform, make sure that the OTA(s) and every other piece of equipment in the imaging train is securely mounted and/or attached to the Versa-Plate.

The Paramount MYT should produce satisfactory guiding and tracking results under these operating conditions and payload weights.

DLFischer:
Tracking / guiding accuracy:  Goal is 0.6 arc-sec with calm air and 0.8 arc-sec rms when breezy provided seeing conditions permit accurate guiding
Observing under in the very unstable skies in Golden, CO, east of the Rocky Mountains, proves that, no matter how stable the mount, poor local seeing definitely degrades the autoguiding results. 

Daniel R. Bisque

Software Bisque, Inc.

862 Brickyard Circle

Golden, Colorado 80403-8058

Office Hours: 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday GMT-7:00

Posting Etiquette

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS

© 2018 Software Bisque, Inc. 862 Brickyard Circle, Golden, CO 80403-8058 USA - phone: +1 303 278 4478 fax: +1 303 278 0045
Google+