Software Bisque

Take a virtual tour of the Software Bisque campus Watch Steve Bisque discuss the Paramount mount with S&T's Dennis Di Cicco Read the Paramount MYT Review Read about the Paramount Software Suite

Adding a telescope not specified in the selection of suppliers

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Ianjdunn Posted: 10-22-2018 12:28 PM

Hello There,

Please would you be so kind as to advise is it possible to add a telescope that I have purchased from a supplier that is not included in your current list.

I have live in the UK and I have purchased my telescope from ‘Orion Optics’ this company is not related to ‘Orion’   Which you already have listed.

I am looking to purchase the serious version of your software.

thanks and hope to hear from you soon.

regards   Ian Dunn

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,287
Software Bisque Employee

Thank you for your interest in TheSkyX Astronomy Software!

Ianjdunn:
…is it possible to add a telescope that I have purchased from a supplier that is not included in your current list.

Probably, but it will depend upon what you mean by "add a telescope". The optical specifications (aperture and focal ratio) of a telescope or optical tube assembly can easily be added by the user in order for TheSkyX to overlay the Star Chart with a corresponding field-of-view indicator. If the telescope features a computer interface to the mount (e.g. for slewing control), then one can usually select in TheSkyX a different mount/telescope that uses the same command protocol. Although TheSkyX presently supports most such interfaces (including ASCOM on Windows), should yours not be among them, then it is also possible—though certainly more involved—for the user or another party to develop a custom plug-in to provide such support.

Which specific Orion Optics UK model telescope are you wishing to add?

Brian S. Rickard
Software Bisque, Inc.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,287
Software Bisque Employee

By email 2018-10-22 20:19Z (How do I reply to a post on the Software Bisque Forum?):

lanjdunn:
Thank you Brian for the reply the model in question is a VX6L the product in question can be found at orionoptics.co.uk .  Are you able to check for compatibility.?

Thank you

Okay, the VX6L has an aperture of 150 mm and an f/8 focal ratio. It is easy for a user to add this as a telescope to TheSkyX's Field of View Indicators window.

As for interfacing with its mount (such as for go-to slewing), that depends upon what mount it's on. If you got it with one of the three Sky-Watcher mount models (EQ5, HEQ5 or EQ6) offered as an option by Orion Optics UK, then yes, TheSkyX includes native support for these.

Brian S. Rickard
Software Bisque, Inc.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,877
Software Bisque Employee

If you wish to add this telescope here is exactly how to do it.

Display>Field of View Indicators. On the right under "My Equipment" select My Telescopes as shown. Press the "+" the green plus "ADD" button highlighted here to the left of Edit.

How on the Add/Edit Equipment dialog/window just enter the values as shown here. Assuming these are correct.

This should take about the amount of time it took to create your first email.

Thomas M. Bisque

Software Bisque, Inc.

862 Brickyard Circle

Golden, Colorado 80403-8058

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,287
Software Bisque Employee

By email 2018-10-24 23:50Z (How do I reply to a post on the Software Bisque Forum?):

Ianjdunn:
Fantastic news way to go thank you

Brian S. Rickard
Software Bisque, Inc.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,287
Software Bisque Employee

Brian Rickard:
Okay, the VX6L has an aperture of 150 mm and an f/8 focal ratio. It is easy for a user to add this as a telescope to TheSkyX's Field of View Indicators window.

I hadn't checked, but as Tom has pointed out to me, this model telescope is already included in TheSkyX's Field of View Indicators equipment database. So there'll be no need for you to add it.

Brian S. Rickard
Software Bisque, Inc.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS

© 2018 Software Bisque, Inc. 862 Brickyard Circle, Golden, CO 80403-8058 USA - phone: +1 303 278 4478 fax: +1 303 278 0045
Google+