Software Bisque

Take a virtual tour of the Software Bisque campus Watch Steve Bisque discuss the Paramount mount with S&T's Dennis Di Cicco Read the Paramount MYT Review Read about the Paramount Software Suite

Portable pier for MyT

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Brian Burton Posted: 10-27-2018 12:12 PM

Hello there,

I was wondering if it's possible to use the portable pier with the MyT as opposed to the standard tripod? I really like the height of the levelers and if I'm being honest, the look of the pier much better :)

Is any special adapter plate required? My plan is to order an MyT, the pier, and a 6" extension. I'm hoping these will all work together and still allow the pier plate to pivot 360 degrees.

Thanks for any responses!

Brian

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,510

The portable pier is a joy to use. You need this adapter plate, https://optcorp.com/products/software-bisque-myt-adapter-plate-to-mx-tripod-myttomxtri?variant=44920139466 . Don’t know why you need full rotation? A $20 hiking compass and your local magnetic declination from the USGS makes turning the top plate unnecessary. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,287
Software Bisque Employee

Please see this related post.

Brian S. Rickard
Software Bisque, Inc.

Not Ranked
Posts 37

Works Fine.  Very Stable.

Not Ranked
Posts 37

Yes, it works with no additional adapters needed, although I got the 6" Pier extension for a little more lift.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,287
Software Bisque Employee

By email 2018-10-29 15:04Z (How do I reply to a post on the Software Bisque Forum?):

Paul Allikas:

Charles, you information is out of date.  The current version of the portable pier comes drilled and tapped for BOTH the MX and the MyT mounts. The adapter plate is no longer required.

Also, the importance of the full rotation of this pier design means that there is no need to worry about orienting the pier toward north.  You can position the pier with the legs in any position to provide the best level support, given the terrain.  The mount can then be rotated to rough polar align to the north without restriction.

Brian S. Rickard
Software Bisque, Inc.

Not Ranked
Posts 4

Great! It's good to know it'll work out of the gate.

Re swiveling - I have a pretty decent Brunton compass, but there has been a few times where it's put due north slightly off and just outside my azimuth's adjustment bolts. Which means teardown and move, or try and shimmy 100lbs a few inches one way or the other... being careful not to topple anything.

The other advantage, as paul said, is having the freedom to place the tripod legs in specific locations. Helpful for imaging past the meridian as well.

It' wouldn't be a deal breaker either way, but a very nice feature to have to be sure.

Thanks for the responses!

Brian

Not Ranked
Posts 37

Another trick that I use, is to not use the azimuth adjustment screws for the Rough Polar Alignment.  

I physically rotate the mount by hand, when doing RPA, and this ensures that when I get to the precise polar alignment step, I will have enough travel available in the adjusters. if I started with them centered in mid travel, rather than exhausting the travel distance doing a rough polar alignment.

Not Ranked
Posts 4

That's pretty much my main reason for inquiring. Would make life a little simpler when setting up 🙂

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 786

You can see all options here. I highly recommend the Portable pier for heavier loads. 

Not Ranked
Posts 37

I went with the portable pier for a number of reasons that have only been fully understood and appreciated now that I have had it out a few times:

Capacity/Rigidity:  Some of my OTAs get pretty heavy, including a C9.25 Edge, with Parallax Rings, Moonlite Crayford focuser, and Eagle2 computer mounted atop, in addition to my imaging train.  Comes in around 42 lbs total, so I wanted something sturdy.  

Most tripod style mount supports need to resist the twisting effect, that  results from windage and momentum of the scope movements.  Some tripods have spreaders (OEM and Aftermarket) added to stiffen the rigidity of the tripod to lateral shifting (twisting).  The Bisque portable pier (for Mx and Me) is designed with a trapzoidal set of legs that stiffen the support, similar to the way triangulated towers are made.  This sets it apart.

Ease of Adjustment:  First, I am too old to get on my knees to adjust a tripod, while looking at a level on top of the tripod.  The Bisque Portable Pier allows for a sider range of adjustment from the standing position, vs the MyT portable Tri-Pier.  Very comfortable, and quicker set up.  Also, as stated in my previous post above, the top part of the tripod can be freely rotated so as to make it independent from the leg orientation for facing the mount to the north.  This is not to be understated, makes it truly flexible.

Yeah, it is costly at $2k, but it works for me.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS

© 2018 Software Bisque, Inc. 862 Brickyard Circle, Golden, CO 80403-8058 USA - phone: +1 303 278 4478 fax: +1 303 278 0045
Google+