Software Bisque

Take a virtual tour of the Software Bisque campus Watch Steve Bisque discuss the Paramount mount with S&T's Dennis Di Cicco Read the Paramount MYT Review Read about the Paramount Software Suite

Not homed

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 5
wangziwill Posted: 11-04-2018 7:35 AM

I have a paramount mx+, it hit the leg last night. After that, "not homed". I tried many times, but it still could not home. The connection is fine, just could not home.

Why?I need you help.

Best wishes.

Zhendi 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,900
Software Bisque Employee

I'm sorry that you're experiencing trouble with your Paramount MX+ mount.

Does the mount successfully initialize the motors when turned on? Are you able to move the mount using the hand controller?

What happens when you try to home the mount? What is the error number/wording of any error message(s) you receive?

As you may know, there are two ways to home the mount. One is to issue the Home command from TheSkyX, the other is to double-click the joystick on the hand controller. Have you tried both? If neither works, turn off the mount and disconnect any cables from both the Electronics Box (at base) and Instrument Panel (on Versa-Plate), leaving only the mount power and hand controller connected. If you're still unable to home the mount, then power off the mount and disconnect the hand controller as well, then power back on and try to home from TheSkyX.

If you're successfull, great! Otherwise, answers to the above questions should help with further troubleshooting. Also, for completeness, what is the exact version and build of TheSkyX you're using, and on what OS (e.g. Windows or Mac)?

Brian S. Rickard
Software Bisque, Inc.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Thanks for your reply
I will try the methods you mentioned, by the way my skyx verision is verision 10.5.0 build 10031
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,900
Software Bisque Employee

That's more than two years old. If your subscription is current, you might consider obtaining TheSkyX Professional Edition - Latest Daily Build (Mac, Windows).

Brian S. Rickard
Software Bisque, Inc.

Not Ranked
Posts 5

Yes, unfortunately, my skyx is out of date, and shall pay for further downloads. The point is I am not sure if the upgrade could solve the home problem.

Not Ranked
Posts 5

I have paid the addiontional 100 dollars to get the latest Skyx, however after upgrade, home problem was still there.

And I have tried all the methods you have mentioned above, including with the hand controller, home was still not possible. But sometimes during the daytime, home could be possible, but at night not working, maybe because of the low temperature at night?

Now when I connected with the paramount mx+, skyx will tell me to home, and then beep beep beep will come out, the "not homed" displayed in the skyx. No other error messages received.

Looking forward to your response.

Best

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 27,816
Software Bisque Employee

wangziwill:
I have a paramount mx+, it hit the leg last night. After that, "not homed".
The Paramount MX+ should not be damaged or otherwise harmed if the mount encounters a fixed object (like the pier leg).  The control system immediately stops the motors and emits an error condition.  Cycling the power, removing the mount from the physical object, and homing should restore normal operation.

Brian Rickard:
Does the mount successfully initialize the motors when turned on?
Sorry if I missed your answer to this question, but, as Brian asks, the first step to diagnosing whether or not the mount can home successfully is to make sure the mount's motors and control system all initialize correctly at start up.  The mount provides both visual and audible feedback when turned on (as described in the Paramount User Guide).

1. What is the status of the TCS, RA, and Dec LEDs on the Electronics Box?
  2. Are the successful motor initialization beeps emitted?  Listen to this audio clip to hear the normal start up sounds.

wangziwill:
And I have tried all the methods you have mentioned above, including with the hand controller, home was still not possible. But sometimes during the daytime, home could be possible, but at night not working, maybe because of the low temperature at night?
Possibly (failure to home at lower temperatures is one, but not the only possible reason for homing failure).

1. What is the ambient temperature? 
  2. Does lowering the maximum slew rate allow the mount to home successfully at the lower temperatures?

Daniel R. Bisque

Software Bisque, Inc.

862 Brickyard Circle

Golden, Colorado 80403-8058

Office Hours: 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday GMT-7:00

Posting Etiquette

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,900
Software Bisque Employee

Daniel R. Bisque:
Does lowering the maximum slew rate allow the mount to home successfully at the lower temperatures?

For clarification, here's how to adjust the maximum slew speed:

1. In TheSkyX—with the mount connected and powered—open the Display > Telescope window.
  2. From the Tools drop-down command list, choose Bisque TCS.
  3. On the Bisque TCS window's Parameters tab, highlight Max Slew Speed (%) under the Common parameter group.
  4. Use the Edit button near the bottom of the Bisque TCS window to change the maximum slew speed, such as to 60%.
  5. From the Commands drop-down command list at the bottom of this same window, choose Save All Parameters to Mount to save the change to the control system.
You may also (or instead) wish to adjust the Slew Rate Adjustment Based on Temperature setting on the Utilities tab of the Bisque TCS window.
You may of course use this procedure again to restore the maximum slew speed to its former value, if desired.

Brian S. Rickard
Software Bisque, Inc.

Not Ranked
Posts 5

when i powered on, the three LED Lights are on and sounds are ok. 

Again homing is ok during the daytime but not working during night. It is about 2 degree during night, and i have tried to low themaximum slew speed, but home still not working

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,900
Software Bisque Employee

Have you tried adjusting the spring plungers, per the Paramount GEM Cam Stop and Spring Plunger Adjustment Instructions? See also Tom Bisque's tip on spring plunger adjustment.

Brian S. Rickard
Software Bisque, Inc.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS

© 2019 Software Bisque, Inc. 862 Brickyard Circle, Golden, CO 80403-8058 USA - phone: +1 303 278 4478 fax: +1 303 278 0045
Google+