Software Bisque

Take a virtual tour of the Software Bisque campus Watch Steve Bisque discuss the Paramount mount with S&T's Dennis Di Cicco Read the Paramount MYT Review Read about the Paramount Software Suite

TSX Pro connecting to Backyard Nikon D610

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Posts 19
John Harris NS5Y Posted: 01-23-2019 5:22 PM

Not sure which forum to present this to, so I'm trying this way. 

I need some help configuring a connection between TSX Pro and Backyard Nikon.   I am trying to connect a D610 to TSX.   It connects readily to BYN, will focus and will capture an image there.   But after starting TSX, selection O'Telescope and Backyard Nikon, I cannot connect consistently or normally to BYN.    Sometimes I get a timeout error (#207), sometiimes after timeout the "connecting" changes to "ready" and I can trigger the BYN Nikon with "take photo".   This morning, I started BYN, connected the Nikon, then started TSX, connected to it after timeout and when I selected "take photo", I got a Raw NEF in BYN's folder and a FITS in TSX's folder on onscreen in TSX.   Called to breakfast, I shut down everything and ate breakfast.  When I restarted everything the next time, TSX would not connect and I've spent the rest of the day trying to config both software packages but with no luck repeating this morning.  I have "triggered" the BYN camera with TSX but never got the corresponding FITS in TSX.   I'm at a lose.    Any ideas would be more than welcome.  

I am using a 7-port USB hub connected to a USB to ethernet converter to carry the data from my backyard into my house.    I've confirmed that BYN and TSX are both looking at Port 1499 and using 3rd party TCP server setting.  I'm am able to connect to the Moonlite focuser and the AVX mount with TSX, but I'm only connecting to the Nikon until this issue is resolved.

Thanks.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,870
Software Bisque Employee

Are you setting your camera to the "Bulb", or "Manual", mode?

Brian S. Rickard
Software Bisque, Inc.

Not Ranked
Posts 19

Yes, thank you, but it turned out to be the USB to Ethernet to USB extenders I was using couldn't carry all the data.   I replaced them with another unit which could handle to web cams thinking that would increase the data capacity.   It did and I'm connecting and able to make exposures with BYN.   Now my question is which software makes the final multiple exposure - "take a series" in TSX or "Take Image" in BYN with it's "plan" series?  

John
Harris MultiMedia, LLC
Aerial and Scenic Photography
JohnHarrisPhotos.Com
718 Humphrey Dr
Haughton, LA 71037

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,870
Software Bisque Employee

Hopefully someone who actually uses TheSkyX with BackyardNIKON will respond. In the meantime, I would say that you could probably use either approach, but would think that you'll find it easier to work with TheSkyX's Take Series feature, letting BYN doing its thing in the background.

Brian S. Rickard
Software Bisque, Inc.

Not Ranked
Posts 19

I agree, Brian.  I just haven't been able to get TSX to make more than one image with Take Series.   I'm doing something wrong.   I watch for a reply from someone with both software setups.   Thanks again.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,870
Software Bisque Employee

It would be good to get some basic details. What is the exact version and build of TheSkyX you're using, and on what OS?

John Harris NS5Y:
I just haven't been able to get TSX to make more than one image with Take Series.

What happens when you try Take Series for more than one image? It completes one, and then what? Is there an error message displayed (and if so, what is the error number and wording), or does something/nothing else happen?

Brian S. Rickard
Software Bisque, Inc.

Not Ranked
Posts 19

Here are the basic details.   Nikon D610 or D750 (currently being cleaned and aligned at Nikon Professional Services), The SkyX Professional Version 10.5.0 (Build 12034) on Win10 Home with auto update on Dell 2in1 Touch Screen Notebook and Dell XPS8900 Desktop.  Backyard Nikon Version 2.0.9 Premium.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,870
Software Bisque Employee

Thanks for the details, John.

Now, how about this:

Brian Rickard:
What happens when you try Take Series for more than one image? It completes one, and then what? Is there an error message displayed (and if so, what is the error number and wording), or does something/nothing else happen?

Brian S. Rickard
Software Bisque, Inc.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 592

Brian Rickard:

It would be good to get some basic details. What is the exact version and build of TheSkyX you're using, and on what OS?

John Harris NS5Y:
I just haven't been able to get TSX to make more than one image with Take Series.

With SkyXPro 10.5.0 (Build 12034) and BYN 2.0.9, Nikon D750, if the Exposure Delay = zero in the Take Series dialog, I receive a "Transient Time-out. Error = 2-07" as follows:

If I changed the delay to 1 second, no timeout error occurs.

Maybe this will help John.

GM

Not Ranked
Posts 19

Per GM's suggestion, I set the delay to 1 sec and I was able to make a series of 6 FITS images using BYN as the camera!  Awesome!   Thank you for the help.  This is a game changer for us.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,613
Software Bisque Employee

gmillerok1:

We are probably just responding too quickly at the end of the previous exposure. This is an excellent solution, just add a small delay to allow BYN to recover before sending another image request.

Richard

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,870
Software Bisque Employee

gmillerok1:

Thanks for mentioning this!

Brian S. Rickard
Software Bisque, Inc.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS

© 2019 Software Bisque, Inc. 862 Brickyard Circle, Golden, CO 80403-8058 USA - phone: +1 303 278 4478 fax: +1 303 278 0045
Google+