Software Bisque

Take a virtual tour of the Software Bisque campus Watch Steve Bisque discuss the Paramount mount with S&T's Dennis Di Cicco Read the Paramount MYT Review Read about the Paramount Software Suite

Connecting to telescope

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Don Gonzales Posted: 02-05-2019 8:00 PM

I just bought TheSkyX Serious version software and am unable to connect to my Celestron SCT on an Advanced VX mount. The hand control version is 'GEM 5.28.5300' & the motor control is version 7.11.5056.

I've ohmed out the cable and verified the hand control physical RJ22 connection, both seem to be ok and I've verified the USB to serial adapter is functional. I've tried changing the port and communication settings. I would imagine the system would use default comm port values but haven't had any success.

Please let me know if I'm missing something or if there are other issues with this connection.

Thanks,

Don

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,682
Software Bisque Employee

Thank you for purchasing TheSkyX Serious Astronomy Software!

Don Gonzales:
…am unable to connect to my Celestron SCT on an Advanced VX mount.

I'm sorry you're experiencing difficulty with connecting to your mount.

1. What happens when you try to connect TheSkyX to your mount? If there is an error message, what is the error number and description?
  2. Which telescope/mount option have you selected from the Choose Mount window?
  3. What is the make and model of serial-to-USB converter you're using, or, do you know which UART chipset it uses (e.g. FTDI or Prolific)?

Regarding interfacing TheSkyX with a Celestron NexStar-compatible mount:

Brian S. Rickard
Software Bisque, Inc.

Not Ranked
Posts 3

Brian,

Thanks for the reply. The 'Telescope' menu selection for the software is empty other than 'get more information'. When I select the 'get more information' selection I can see a very short appearance of something trying to execute that appears like an attempt to connect...I'm not too sure since it's covered up with the solicitation for the different versions of software available. There's no error messages.

The serial adapter is an Aten USB to Serial Adapter, I don't know which UART is used by the manufacturer.

I downloaded the users guide and read through the instructions. Nothing I've tried provides a populated 'Telescope' menu in the SkyX software user interface.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,682
Software Bisque Employee

Your description matches the behaviour of TheSkyX Student Edition and TheSkyX First Light Edition, neither of which has telescope interfacing capability. What is the exact version and build number of TheSkyX that you're using (on Windows, see Help > About TheSkyX, on macOS, TheSkyX > About TheSkyX)?

What serial number did you use to activate TheSkyX? (As this is a moderated forum, I will remove it from your reply before it becomes "public".)

Brian S. Rickard
Software Bisque, Inc.

Not Ranked
Posts 3

Brian,

I started with the light version and then bought the serious version. The only serial number I had to use is the one from the light version. If I was supposed to use a different serial number I don’t know where to obtain the correct number from.

Purchase invoice number is INV33240
Version 10.5.0 Build 10305
SN - {redacted}

Don

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,682
Software Bisque Employee

Don Gonzales:
The only serial number I had to use is the one from the light version.

That explains it. The serial number used to activate TheSkyX determines what edition you have (in terms of available features, not in terms of installed resources, such as stellar catalogues).

First, you need to obtain your serial number for TheSkyX Serious Astronomer Edition from your Subscriptions page (sign-in required; the link is generic, reflecting only registrations of the viewing member's account).

Next, you need to use this serial number with TheSkyX Serious Astronomer Edition. You don't need to uninstall TheSkyX (neither the First Light Edition, nor the Serious Astronomer Edition).  See our knowledge base article on Changing TheSkyX's Serial Number.

Please let us know if you have any questions about this.

Brian S. Rickard
Software Bisque, Inc.

Not Ranked
Posts 3

Brian,

Thanks for the help! I used the original serial number since i was performing an 'Upgrade' and with many applications the version changes but the serial stays the same. Also, it would be helpful to future newcomers like myself to be directed to the 'Subscriptions' page of our accounts for the appropriate information to be used with our products.

I look forward to learning more about the tool I have and how to fully utilize my telescope.

Don

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS

© 2019 Software Bisque, Inc. 862 Brickyard Circle, Golden, CO 80403-8058 USA - phone: +1 303 278 4478 fax: +1 303 278 0045
Google+