Software Bisque

Take a virtual tour of the Software Bisque campus Watch Steve Bisque discuss the Paramount mount with S&T's Dennis Di Cicco Read the Paramount MYT Review Read about the Paramount Software Suite

ME/MEII/MX PYRAMID PORTABLE PIER Stability Question

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Michael Posted: 02-28-2019 10:32 AM

Hi,

I am looking at upgrading my mount system to a MEII. The mount will be supporting a Planewave 12.5 (about 50 lbs). We need to use a portable pier (even though the system will not be moved from inside the observatory) and the pier height needs to be about 54". I am considering the Pyramid Portable pier with three 6" extenders to reach the required height. I am wondering about the stability for supporting and imaging with this setup. any advice or concerns would be appreciated.

Michael

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,026
Software Bisque Employee

Michael,

Have you looked over the specs on the Pyramid Portable Pier here? The capacity for the tripod is 250lbs which should definitely hold the Planewave and instrumentation. Check out this video of the Pyramid Portable Pier holding more than the published capacity for extra testing.

Sarah

Sarah Bisque Clawson

Software Bisque, Inc.

862 Brickyard Circle

Golden, Colorado 80403-8058

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 27,547
Software Bisque Employee

Thanks for your interest in the Pyramid Portable Pier.

Michael:
I am looking at upgrading my mount system to a MEII. The mount will be supporting a Planewave 12.5 (about 50 lbs).
The Pyramid Portable Pier will provide a stable platform for this payload.

Michael:
am considering the Pyramid Portable pier with three 6" extenders to reach the required height. I am wondering about the stability for supporting and imaging with this setup. any advice or concerns would be appreciated.
When the center of mass of the mount + payload is raised by 18 inches (at the maximum width of the three legs), a smaller lateral force near the top will be required to potentially tip the mass over. 

With the increased height, you'll want to use some manner of ballast to lower then center of mass.

Daniel R. Bisque

Software Bisque, Inc.

862 Brickyard Circle

Golden, Colorado 80403-8058

Office Hours: 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday GMT-7:00

Posting Etiquette

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS

© 2019 Software Bisque, Inc. 862 Brickyard Circle, Golden, CO 80403-8058 USA - phone: +1 303 278 4478 fax: +1 303 278 0045
Google+