Software Bisque

Take a virtual tour of the Software Bisque campus Watch Steve Bisque discuss the Paramount mount with S&T's Dennis Di Cicco Read the Paramount MYT Review Read about the Paramount Software Suite

MX+ Load capacity

rated by 0 users
This post has 1 Reply | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Wilfrid Ouellet Posted: 05-27-2019 12:01 PM

I have read many post about the MX+ capacity and I am still in doubt about me going to 100lbs with my new set-up. I intended to put a RC10 side-by-side 2 refractors (FSQ106 and TOA130 on top of each other). Total weight would be 99lbs including cameras, rings, dovetail, etc... (I use a scale to get the exact weight) 

Usually Daniel writes that the mount is capable to handle easily 100lbs but one post mentionned damages to the worm gear with 100lbs load.

So Daniel, green, yellow or red light for my installation. No need to mention that it will be perfectly balance once installed.

Recommendations pls.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 27,679
Software Bisque Employee

Wilfrid Ouellet:
Usually Daniel writes that the mount is capable to handle easily 100lbs but one post mentionned damages to the worm gear with 100lbs load.
As with any mechanical system, operating at maximum capacity requires greater care to ensure optimal performance.

• ALWAYS MAKE SURE THE MOUNT IS PROPERLY BALANCED! If the Paramount MX+ is loaded with 100+ pounds, and that weight is not sufficiently offset by the an equal weight of counterweights, the worm and gear can separate with greater than typical force, and this excessive force can result in damage to the worm.   That's what my comments refer to.
  • Greater inertial masses at maximum capacity mean the maximum slew rate and acceleration should be reduced.
  • At maximum payloads, the spring plunger tension may need to be increased slightly.  However, a properly balanced system is essential.
  • At maximum payloads, the settling time for the system after slews will be increased, and may necessitate a short delay after a slew completes to ensure the system is stable.
  • See this video for a demonstration of dual Paramount MX mounts slewing 100+ and 60+ pound payloads.
  • For payloads that greatly exceed 100 pounds, consider the Paramount ME II.

Daniel R. Bisque

Software Bisque, Inc.

862 Brickyard Circle

Golden, Colorado 80403-8058

Office Hours: 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday GMT-7:00

Posting Etiquette

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS

© 2019 Software Bisque, Inc. 862 Brickyard Circle, Golden, CO 80403-8058 USA - phone: +1 303 278 4478 fax: +1 303 278 0045
Google+