Software Bisque

Take a virtual tour of the Software Bisque campus Watch Steve Bisque discuss the Paramount mount with S&T's Dennis Di Cicco Read the Paramount MYT Review Read about the Paramount Software Suite

Dome Add-On Trial and Multiple OTA questions

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Posts 31
m44dsw Posted: 06-04-2019 2:18 PM

Hi,

I have an MEII now housed in a new Pulsar Dome (ASCOM connected) and I am looking at purchasing the Dome Add-On so I am trialling to make sure it works well for me. I have a couple questions based on my setup. I have also just purchased a new MyT from a local dealer and I will be registering that soon as my travel setup, I mention only in that I really do love your products so hope I can get the Dome Add-On working.

So I have 3 OTAs, The main one in the optical centre is a 12" Officina Stellare OTA, and referring to your picture in TheSkyX manual it looks like the setup on page 547 of the manual that also shows the Zm dimension. If you now imagine I have a Tak FS102 piggy backed to the right side of the OTA in the diagram so to the top of the diagram in the current orientation. I also have a Skywatcher 120 Esprit mounted to the left side of the main OTA so to the bottom of the OTA in this diagram.

1) I assume I put a different Zm figure in for keeping the dome slit in line? I have also started to guess the values for Yt and the field below which Y0? 'the offset of optical axis within the telescope' as stated in the UI. Is that correct? Is there a way of measuring what the figures should be to put in here?

2) Is there a way of saving the figures in the Dome Add-On to the current profile so that instead of manually changing the figures every time I wish to use a different scope that I can instead open TheSkyX with one of three profiles modified per OTA or is there a different way to achieve this?

3) The dome moves when I slew the scope, to get the dome to move at sidereal rate I believe I need to change the figure from 0 in the 'max angle from slit edge...' field. Does 10 degrees sound right if I have a dome radius of 1300mm and a slit of 690mm?

Many Thanks

Dave

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 763

I have a 'similar' setup. I setup the geometry for my 10" RC and have found that still works well for 110mm, 85mm and all the way down to a 135mm fl lens.

Doing a Point run is a good way of testing the dome geometry settings at various points around the sky, only need a dozen points or so. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 27,695
Software Bisque Employee

m44dsw:
I mention only in that I really do love your products
Thank you!

m44dsw:
have an MEII now housed in a new Pulsar Dome
Note that TheSkyX Pro with the Dome Add On can support the Rigel rotation drive unit for Pulsar domes using a X2 Dome Plug In found here (if you want to eliminate third-party frameworks).

m44dsw:
1) I assume I put a different Zm figure in for keeping the dome slit in line?
Despite efforts to make the documentation clear, getting the dome geometry correct seems to be the most challenging part of dome control.  All dome geometry values must be correct to keep the telescope aligned with the dome.

m44dsw:
I have also started to guess the values for Yt and the field below which Y0? 'the offset of optical axis within the telescope' as stated in the UI. Is that correct? Is there a way of measuring what the figures should be to put in here?
The dome geometry parameters must be based on the physical dimensions of your dome, and the physical location of the mount inside the dome.  Use a tape measure to determine these parameters for your dome (the units do not matter, but the measurements must all be based on the same unit of measure.  For example, use cm, mm, or inches, but don't mix and match).

m44dsw:
So I have 3 OTAs, The main one in the optical centre is a 12" Officina Stellare OTA, and referring to your picture in TheSkyX manual it looks like the setup on page 547 of the manual that also shows the Zm dimension.

Based on the Dome Geometry diagrams on this page, Zm is the vertical distance from a horizontal plane through the center of the dome sphere to the mount's RA/Dec axis (figure 276 and 278). 

• +Zm means this point is above the center of the dome
  • -Zm means the point is below the center of the dome. 

Related post

m44dsw:

2) Is there a way of saving the figures in the Dome Add-On to the current profile so that instead of manually changing the figures every time I wish to use a different scope that I can instead open TheSkyX with one of three profiles modified per OTA or is there a different way to achieve this?

See Imaging System Profiles.

m44dsw:
3) The dome moves when I slew the scope, to get the dome to move at sidereal rate
From TheSkyX, click Telescope > Telescope Setup, highlight Dome, and turn on the Couple Dome to Telescope Tracking checkbox.

m44dsw:
I believe I need to change the figure from 0 in the 'max angle from slit edge...' field. Does 10 degrees sound right if I have a dome radius of 1300mm and a slit of 690mm?
See this post for a discussion about the Max Angle from Slit Edge value, and this post configuring the dome geometry for multiple optics.

Daniel R. Bisque

Software Bisque, Inc.

862 Brickyard Circle

Golden, Colorado 80403-8058

Office Hours: 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday GMT-7:00

Posting Etiquette

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,524
Daniel R. Bisque:
See this post for a discussion about the Max Angle from Slit Edge value, and this post configuring the dome geometry for multiple optics.
Yes, and I very much regret the "
maximum angle from slit edge" parameter is still being called that. It is the minimum that is tolerable; "maximum" is wrong!
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 27,695
Software Bisque Employee

PWallace:
Yes, and I very much regret the "maximum angle from slit edge" parameter is still being called that. It is the minimum that is tolerable; "maximum" is wrong!
This error has been corrected in TheSkyX build 12238 and later (not yet released), and TheSkyX User Guide Revision 2.8 and later (not yet posted).

PWallace:
...is still being called that...
If this error was pointing out previously, I missed it and apologize. 

Daniel R. Bisque

Software Bisque, Inc.

862 Brickyard Circle

Golden, Colorado 80403-8058

Office Hours: 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday GMT-7:00

Posting Etiquette

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS

© 2019 Software Bisque, Inc. 862 Brickyard Circle, Golden, CO 80403-8058 USA - phone: +1 303 278 4478 fax: +1 303 278 0045
Google+