Software Bisque

Take a virtual tour of the Software Bisque campus Watch Steve Bisque discuss the Paramount mount with S&T's Dennis Di Cicco Read the Paramount MYT Review Read about the Paramount Software Suite

MKS 5000 driver install issues

rated by 0 users
This post has 19 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 83
jimgian Posted: 06-06-2019 9:43 AM

Hi,

I was in process of trouble shooting a connection issue with an MX. This has worked for quite some time but it failed to connect after I upgraded the MKS 5000 driver. I believed it was a driver issue so I uninstalled the MKS driver believing I would reinstall the previous driver. When I did the installer informed me that the driver was already installed and failed to install. It does not appear in the installed program list but some component must be out there that didn't get cleaned up. I uninstalled and reinstalled the sky thinking that might clean up the stump but no luck. Devices sees it as an unidentified USB device.

Thanks,

Jim

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,905
Software Bisque Employee

Are you using the MKS 5000 USB Driver Installer, which is currently at version 6.0.0.2?

I see that you added the Windows 7 tag to your post, so I gather that's the OS you're using. We did recently have to create for Windows 7 users only a special driver for the MKS 4000, though I don't know if the MKS 5000 would be similarly impacted.

UPDATE: See our Troubleshooting USB Communication Failures knowledge base article. I've set the link to take you directly to what I think is the most relevant section for you; it basically informs you to be sure the latest driver is installed, but other sections might be worth reviewing, as well.

Brian S. Rickard
Software Bisque, Inc.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 83

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes that is the driver installer that I used to upgrade this windows 7 pro pc. I believe the uninstaller left a stump some where, perhaps the registry. I'm pretty familiar with the process. I have 2 paramounts, first time I've run into this. I think it's an OS thing and not specifically your problem. I just wasn't able to resolve it doing the things I know to do. Let me ask you, when the driver was removed and the reinstall competed (it wasn't really completed because the installer reported it was already installed and exited) I searched the hard drive for MKS and turned up several components. I then uninstalled The sky and did the search again. Fewer components were found but there were a few. I attempted deleting them and encountered a .PNF file that the OS protected and wouldn't allow me to delete. That's why my theory is a stump is out there that I don't know how to clean up.

Thank you

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 83

I read that before I posted but I've tried all the suggested moves and several more. The driver is partially installed even though it doesn't show in installed programs. Device manager sees it as an unidentified USB device.

Thanks

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 27,821
Software Bisque Employee

jimgian:
Let me ask you, when the driver was removed and the reinstall competed (it wasn't really completed because the installer reported it was already installed and exited)
What is the step by step procedure you followed to remove the existing driver? 

jimgian:
I searched the hard drive for MKS and turned up several components.
What is the exact name and location of the files that included the letters MKS? 

jimgian:
I then uninstalled The sky and did the search again. Fewer components were found but there were a few.

• TheSkyX does not install the MKS 5000 Bisque TCS driver.
  • While uninstalling TheSkyX is not necessary, doing so will not remove the MKS 5000 Bisque TCS driver.

To uninstall the Software Bisque MKS 5000 driver:

1. Turn on the mount with the USB cable plugged into the PC and mount.  If the driver is installed, Windows recognizes the Paramount USB hub, and assigns a COM port to the first port in the hub.
  2. Launch Windows Device Manager.
  3. Expand Ports (COM & LPT).
  4. Right-click Software Bisque MKS 5000 (COMN), and click Uninstall.
  5. Turn on the Delete the Driver Software for this Device checkbox (see screen capture below) and click OK.
  6. Without turning off the mount, Device Manager > Action > Scan for Hardware Changes.
  7. Expand Other Devices.
  8. Right-click Unknown Device with the yellow exclamation next to it, and click Properties.
  9. On the Unknown Device Properties window, click the Details tab, then select Hardware Ids from the Property list. The first Value for the selected device must read: USB\VID_2527&PID_1388&REV_1000.  The device's USB Vendor ID (VID) is 2527, and the Paramount Product ID (PID) is 1388.  See the second screen capture below.
    • If the selected device does not show this information, it's not the MKS 5000 USB hub, please don't proceed.
    • If the selected device does show this information, it's is the MKS 5000 USB hub.  Click the Driver tab, and click Uninstall. Click OK when warned about uninstalling the drivers from your system.  The SB MKS 5000 driver is now uninstalled and deleted from the computer.
  10. To verify the MKS 5000 USB driver has been uninstalled and deleted from the computer, turn off the mount, wait 5 seconds, then turn it back on.  Windows Hardware Manager must now list the Paramount Hub under Other Devices.  Also, Windows Hardware Manager will not assign a COM port number to the device when the driver is uninstalled and deleted as described above.

Run the MKS 5000 USB Driver Installer to install the driver.

At this point, if Windows Hardware Manager does not recognize the Software Bisque MKS 5000, see this article to proceed with further troubleshooting.

Daniel R. Bisque

Software Bisque, Inc.

862 Brickyard Circle

Golden, Colorado 80403-8058

Office Hours: 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday GMT-7:00

Posting Etiquette

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 83

I first downloaded the latest driver and installed it. Seemed to go fine. When I attempted to connect I couldn't. I tried a few things unsuccessfully (powering the mount off and on, removed and replaced the USB cable, tried a new usb cable) When this failed I decided to go back to the previous driver. I then went to uninstall programs and proceeded to uninstall. Windows reported success. I then reinstalled the driver that I had originally and received the driver already installed message from the installer. Checked in remove programs and the driver was not in the list. I did not follow the procedure you outlined. When I check in device manager the MKS driver is not listed in the com port section. I will continue trying some of the suggestions. There were numerous places on the hard disk where MKS*.* appeared. After uninstalling both the driver then the sky there were fewer but still several occurrences. I figured it couldn't hurt to try and delete them thinking they would be reinstalled if needed but the .PNF file was inaccessible by the OS and wouldn't allow for deletion. I will review the trouble shooting tips you suggested.

Thank you 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 83

Daniel, I couldn't figure how to easily show you the places that MKS remnants exist so I took a picture and attached. This was after I reinstalled The Sky. Prior to reinstalling most of these existed. The .PNF file was the file I couldn't delete.

Thanks,

Jim

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 27,821
Software Bisque Employee

jimgian:
couldn't figure how to easily show you the places that MKS remnants exist so I took a picture and attached. 
These files have nothing to do with uninstalling the Software Bisque MKS 5000 driver, will not affect the MKS 5000 driver, and need not be removed.

Does the step-by-step procedure to remove the Software Bisque MKS 5000 in this post work?

Daniel R. Bisque

Software Bisque, Inc.

862 Brickyard Circle

Posting Etiquette

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 83

No because the driver does not appear in the lpt/com port section of device manager so the steps cannot be followed. I have had a change however. The MKS driver does appear in the program list. I was able to delete the .PNF file. This was probably because when I rebooted the PC the OS let loose of it. Whether that had anything to do with the driver showing up in the program list not sure. I want to try doing an uninstall of the driver through remove programs but I will wait to hear back.

Thanks

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,905
Software Bisque Employee

jimgian:
…I took a picture and attached.

For future reference, Here's how to capture a screenshot: Windows, Mac.

And while you can attach a single image as you did, see this post on how to instead embed one, or more, images in a forum post.

Brian S. Rickard
Software Bisque, Inc.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,905
Software Bisque Employee

jimgian:
No because the driver does not appear in the lpt/com port section of device manager so the steps cannot be followed.

And this is with the mount turned on and its USB cable connected to the computer?

Did you also try to follow steps 7 and later in Daniel's removal procedure?

jimgian:
The MKS driver does appear in the program list.

What version is it reported to be?

From some earlier posts:

jimgian:
There were numerous places on the hard disk where MKS*.* appeared.

Below is a listing of where and which files should be installed by the current version 6.0.0.2 of the MKS 5000 Driver Installer (assuming that you installed TheSkyX in its default location). If you've a 32-bit edition of Windows, " (x86)" won't appear in the installation folder name.

c:\Program Files (x86)\Software Bisque\TheSkyX Professional Edition>dir *mks* /s
 Volume in drive C is Windows
 Volume Serial Number is XXXX-XXXX

Directory of c:\Program Files (x86)\Software Bisque\TheSkyX Professional Edition

2017-05-09  15:30            65,888 InstallMKS5000.exe
2014-04-28  10:12           652,680 MKS 5000 Driver Installer.exe
2017-05-09  13:36             2,642 MKS 5000 Driver.inf
2017-05-09  13:37             7,599 mks5k_ntamd64.cat
2017-05-09  13:37             7,615 mks5k_x86.cat
               5 File(s)        736,424 bytes

Total Files Listed:
               5 File(s)        736,424 bytes
               0 Dir(s)  28,572,549,120 bytes free

Note that four of these five files (those in bold) are added by the MKS 5000 Driver Installer. The file named "MKS 5000 Driver Installer.exe" is actually added when TheSkyX Professional Edition is installed, and may not be the latest version. This file is not added by the MKS 5000 Driver Installer, nor is it removed if the driver is uninstalled. (As an aside, since you have your File Explorer configured to its default mode of hiding file extensions, you won't see the extensions.)

jimgian:
I was in process of trouble shooting a connection issue with an MX. This has worked for quite some time but it failed to connect after I upgraded the MKS 5000 driver. I believed it was a driver issue so I uninstalled the MKS driver believing I would reinstall the previous driver.

Which came first? Did you try to install the new driver and then encounter connection issues, or did you encounter connection issues which led to trying to install the new driver?

In your screen shot, the first-listed file, "MKS 5000 Driver Installer" (637 KB) is the old version 6.0.0.0; don't use it. Instead, use the second-listed file, "MKS 5000 Driver Installer (1)" (5.48 MB), which is the current version 6.0.0.2. Further, your listings for "InstallMKS5000", "mks5k_ntamd64" and "mks5k_x86" under TheSkyX's installation folder all match version 6.0.0.0 of the driver. In other words, at the time you took that picture, you had the old driver installed in the default location.

Additionally, the MKS-titled files in your "My Documents" folder correspond with MKS driver version 6.0.0.2, which indicates that you installed the current version of the driver to this non-default location. (The .PNF file is a temporary one that would normally have been removed automatically.)

I would suggest that you uninstall whatever MKS 5000 Driver version shows up in the Add/Remove Programs list, then delete the other MKS files. You could even delete all of the files shown in your screen capture, except for the one titled "ImagingSystem". Then download the current MKS 5000 USB Driver Installer again and run it, accepting its default installation folder.

Brian S. Rickard
Software Bisque, Inc.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 83
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 83

I was operating fine but was in process of updating all the software components so as I updated the Sky I also saw the new driver and installed it. I don't recall any issues when installing the driver initially. When I couldn't connect I decided to uninstall the new driver and reinstall the original driver. The uninstall reported good but when I went to reinstall the previous driver the installer reported that the driver was already there. I did send a couple of screen shots (thanks for the tip) that showed the program list pre install with no MKS driver in the list and a screen shot of the message the installer is giving reporting the driver is installed. I don't think it's your issue per se but it feels like the uninstaller is leaving a stump. One thing I haven't tried is rebooting between the uninstall and the reinstall in case the OS is holding on to something. Grasping at straws. :)

Thanks for your help

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 83

Incidentally I never install anywhere but the default location so I cant explain the location of those files.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 27,821
Software Bisque Employee

jimgian:
Please see this post.

jimgian:
first downloaded the latest driver and installed it. Seemed to go fine.
The installer displays a window indicating the driver was installed successfully, or displays an error message.  If an error message appeared, what is the exact wording and error code?

jimgian:
I decided to go back to the previous driver. I then went to uninstall programs and proceeded to uninstall. Windows reported success. I then reinstalled the driver that I had originally and received the driver already installed message from the installer. Checked in remove programs and the driver was not in the list. I did not follow the procedure you outlined. When I check in device manager the MKS driver is not listed in the com port section.
From this post, I wrote (emphasis added):

Daniel R. Bisque:

At this point, if Windows Hardware Manager does not recognize the Software Bisque MKS 5000, see this article to proceed with further troubleshooting.

Daniel R. Bisque

Software Bisque, Inc.

862 Brickyard Circle

Posting Etiquette

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

© 2019 Software Bisque, Inc. 862 Brickyard Circle, Golden, CO 80403-8058 USA - phone: +1 303 278 4478 fax: +1 303 278 0045
Google+