Software Bisque

Take a virtual tour of the Software Bisque campus Watch Steve Bisque discuss the Paramount mount with S&T's Dennis Di Cicco Read the Paramount MYT Review Read about the Paramount Software Suite

Versa Plate, Camera Add-on, and Raspberry PI

rated by 0 users
This post has 1 Reply | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Tugger Posted: 07-04-2019 1:47 AM

Hello,

Forgive me, I'm not 100% sure on the terminology here.

It would that a couple friends who have multiple Paramount's have finally convinced me to upgrade within the next year or so. I have some questions about current features as well as what's planned, if you are able to say.

Regarding the versa plate. It's USB 2.0? Are there plans to add more USB ports and make it 3.0? I get the mount connection wouldn't make sense for 3.0, but having to connect a guider, DSLR, and possibly a filter wheel seems like 2 ports is a little out dated?

My friends use CCDs but I'm still using a DSLR and Backyard Nikon. How would the camera add-on work with DSLRs, if at all? My understanding is the camera add-on would only allow Image Link (plate solving?) functionality and I'd still need Backyard for image capture? The camera add-on would support guiding as well, what about dithering? Is it a Sky X issue for DSLRs not able to capture images outside of image link or a driver issue?

The purchase of new mount includes the multi license and copy of Sky X. Are all the add-ons included with the Raspberry PI version? If the Raspberry PI doesn't have support for the camera (Nikon DSLR), then image link and image capture wouldn't work, correct? Theoretically, I could have the Raspberry PI run the mount and guiding (assuming the guider is supported and dithering is NOT), and have the camera connected to a different machine running Windows to capture images, correct? 

I realize that Imagelink won't work so how accurate is the mount if I polar aligned with a pole master, updated my location pretty accurately, and the PC time was accurate? Would I have the star within a FOV of 2 x 4 degrees which would make Imagelink almost useless because you could then bump the mount with the controller?

The polemaster adapter on here is the equivalent of the adapter you have to buy so the camera mounts correctly? Similar to this, for example: https://www.highpointscientific.com/qhy-polemaster-adapter-for-cgem-mount-pm-cgem

Regarding the licenses, does that allow me to use Sky X with my other mounts (ASCOM) or just with my MYT? If not, what's the point of 6 licenses if it's only used one at a time?

Thanks and have a great 4th!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 27,821
Software Bisque Employee

Tugger:
have finally convinced me to upgrade within the next year or so.
Excellent, thank you for considering the Paramount!

Tugger:
It's USB 2.0?
Yes.

Tugger:
Are there plans to add more USB ports and make it 3.0?
Not presently.  USB 3.0 can be very "finicky" and the best way to communicate with USB 3.0 devices is with a dedicated USB cable (or a USB 3.0-compatible hub or extender).

Tugger:
My friends use CCDs but I'm still using a DSLR and Backyard Nikon. How would the camera add-on work with DSLRs, if at all?
The Camera Add On does not natively support Nikon cameras, but can control them through BackyardNikon.

Tugger:
The camera add-on would support guiding as well, what about dithering?
Dithering is supported through both Take Series and LTI.

Tugger:
Are all the add-ons included with the Raspberry PI version?
Yes.

Tugger:
the Raspberry PI doesn't have support for the camera (Nikon DSLR), then image link and image capture wouldn't work, correct?
Correct.  See native camera support for the list of ARM-based camera support.

Tugger:
I realize that Imagelink won't work
On the Raspberry Pi?  Correct.  With a Nikon camera, on Windows, with BackyardNIKON, it does.

Tugger:
so how accurate is the mount if I polar aligned with a pole master
All GEMs must be "somewhat" aligned with the celestial pole.  For best overall results, Software Bisque recommends aligning on the refracted pole.

When guiding, the polar alignment is much less critical (and the drift method, Polemaster, etc.) are sufficient to achieve good results.  TheSkyX's has many built-in polar alignment tools (TPoint, RPA, APA) to that can be used to quantify, and achieve exceptional polar alignment. 

Unguided, ProTrack adjusts the tracking both axes accordingly.

Tugger:
The polemaster adapter on here is the equivalent of the adapter you have to buy so the camera mounts correctly?
In which model Paramount mount are you interested?  Software Bisque manufactures the PoleMaster Adapter for the Paramount MX/MX+ and Paramount MYT.

Tugger:
Regarding the licenses, does that allow me to use Sky X with my other mounts (ASCOM)
Yes, TheSkyX natively supports most commercial mounts, and can control ASCOM-compatible mounts, too.

Daniel R. Bisque

Software Bisque, Inc.

862 Brickyard Circle

Golden, Colorado 80403-8058

Office Hours: 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday GMT-7:00

Posting Etiquette

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS

© 2019 Software Bisque, Inc. 862 Brickyard Circle, Golden, CO 80403-8058 USA - phone: +1 303 278 4478 fax: +1 303 278 0045
Google+