Software Bisque

Take a virtual tour of the Software Bisque campus Watch Steve Bisque discuss the Paramount mount with S&T's Dennis Di Cicco Read the Paramount MYT Review Read about the Paramount Software Suite

Sky 6. Pro

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Posts 0
Starman Paul Posted: 06-24-2011 1:51 PM

I have asked this before but lost the answer. Meaning of Error Code 201(C9) when connecting Sky 6 PRO to LX200R ?? Running WinXP Pro.

I have connected many times without a problem.

I would love to upgrade to SKYX Pro but retired several years ago and can't afford the upgrade cost.

Starman Paul

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,662
Software Bisque Employee

Starman Paul:
I have asked this before but lost the answer. Meaning of Error Code 201(C9) when connecting Sky 6 PRO to LX200R ??

1. Make sure to install TheSky6 Latest Update.  All errors include both an error code and a description of the error code in the latest release.
  2. Error code 201 is a Windows specific error; Windows cannot open the selected COM port because it is already opened by another application.  Check the Hardware Manager to make sure the selected COM is functioning, and double-check TheSky6's COM port settings.

List of TheSky6 Error Codes

Daniel R. Bisque

Software Bisque, Inc.

862 Brickyard Circle

Golden, Colorado 80403-8058

Office Hours: 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday GMT-7:00

Posting Etiquette

Not Ranked
Posts 11

I have SkyX v 10.1.8 build 3919

Up until recently, I had no problem connecting my Paramount ME to the computer via a Gigaware serial to USB connector.

Now I keep getting an error that the COM3 port is used by another application ( it is not) I have run diagnostics, unplugged and replugged the cable etc no joy.

Net result I cannot use my C14. How can this be fixed?

Pierre

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,188
Software Bisque Employee

pderavel:
I have SkyX v 10.1.8 build 3919

That's a really old version; you might consider updating to the 10.5 series, though this no longer supports Windows XP.

And if you have TheSkyX. why is your post subject "Sky 6. Pro"? EDIT: Sorry, forgot the OP wasn't yours.

pderavel:
Now I keep getting an error that the COM3 port is used by another application ( it is not)

Does this persist even after re-starting your computer?

If your converter came with a port-management utility, that might shed some light on the status of any COM port numbers that may be claimed by your converter.

Based on some quick Internet searching, I think the Gigaware serial-to-USB converter uses the Prolific UART chipset. Because converters with this chipset (or at least fake copies of it) are notorious for having problems, we would suggest that you use a converter with the FTDI UART chipset. See this post about serial-to-USB converters.

Brian S. Rickard
Software Bisque, Inc.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,824
Software Bisque Employee

Here is what I would do. Before you go out and buy another USB to RS-232 adapter.

First completely clear your PC of all COM PORT assignments. This is an issue with Windows and when it decides to assign com port numbers. Once you know how to resolve it this can come in really handy. I use this a lot. Especially when I have a list of a dozen or more COM PORTs most of which are not being used! Windows is kind of well "dumb" for lack of a better word.

The following knowledge base article explains how to clear the registry of all current COM PORT assignments. Giving you a nice new clean state.
http://www.bisque.com/sc/forums/p/446/430.aspx#430

In a nutshell it looks exactly like this shown here. The key you are going to set to ZERO is the Com_DB. Edit the value and make sure it is zero.

Now your system is cleared of any previous COM PORT assignments. At this point you should not even see the group "COM PORTS" until AFTER you have inserted your device that is a USB to RS-232 adapter. That will then create the group and assign a new clean COM PORT number for you automatically.

Because all assignments have been cleared.

Now plug in your USB to RS-232 adapter. This list will blink and be updated to show the COM PORT group and what COM PORT number has been assigned. This is the COM PORT you use in TheSky.

Like this shown here. I have added only one com port and it has been assigned COM PORT 3. That is the port to use in TheSky.

And because you have cleared your COM PORT assignments you can use the properties of the COM PORT to change the number to whatever is "free". Now they are all free to pick from. As shown here. Com 3 can be Com 1 or anything you want it to be.

Unfortunately you also have to keep in mind that Windows can/will change these assignments at will. For example plug the device into a different USB port now you get a new COM PORT number. I believe there is also a way to disable this in Windows so that it won't play musical com ports on you but how that is done escapes me right now? Anyone? Buehler?

Thomas M. Bisque

Software Bisque, Inc.

862 Brickyard Circle

Golden, Colorado 80403-8058

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,188
Software Bisque Employee

Tom's instructions are helpful for manually achieving on Windows what I'd suggested you could do with the port management utility that comes with (at least some) serial-to-USB converters.

I believe the problem of a device being assigned a different COM port for each USB port to which it is connected is more a matter of the design of the device or driver, and is not limited to Windows. In my experience, the better, typically more expensive, converters don't exhibit this behavior, maintaining port persistence.

Brian S. Rickard
Software Bisque, Inc.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,985
Universal Subscription Licensee

If you do not reconfigure your system, Windows will normally remember which port was assigned to which device. If you do get the com fail message at connection startup, I go to device manager and see where the roulette wheel stopped and then change it in the SKYX as required. As I said if you do not remove the cables and adapters it tends to not change them. Putting the adapter into a different USB  port may cause the system to reload the driver which may reconfigure the port.  However this seemed to be more "stable" in XP than it was in windows 7. Windows 10 seems to be even worse on maintaining  this configuration. I have had to redo mine at a star party once where I didn't move cables for a week.

BTW Windows 7 will be dropped by Microsoft support in 2020. Windows XP is already dropped in 2014. As long as you do not put the XP machine on a network it should be okay. No Antivirus or Malware filters for XP anymore. However you are looking at End of Life for this OS. If you were to buy a new computer and for some reason tried to load XP, all the drivers you may need might not exist especially for newer hardware.

Roy

www.roystarman.com

I am not employed by Software Bisque, but I am a satisfied customer.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,474

Certain USB/RS232 serial adapters have an identifying serial number, that is used by the device driver to sequence it. Windows has an odd way of dealing with devices that get plugged into different USB ports.  I have labelled every cable and port on every device and hub to ensure they always get plugged back in the right place. Generally I find FTDIchip ones will remember their COM port, as they have an on-board non-volatile memory with a serial number. The old Prolific PL2303 lack this, and can float to a new one. Cypress, Tripplite/Keypan, ATEN/IOGear, and Magic Control Technologies devices all behave a bit differently. a Brother Label Maker will save the day!

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS

© 2018 Software Bisque, Inc. 862 Brickyard Circle, Golden, CO 80403-8058 USA - phone: +1 303 278 4478 fax: +1 303 278 0045
Google+