Software Bisque

Take a virtual tour of the Software Bisque campus Watch Steve Bisque discuss the Paramount mount with S&T's Dennis Di Cicco Read the Paramount MYT Review Read about the Paramount Software Suite

A necessary driver was not found. Error = 217

rated by 0 users
This post has 28 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 37
Steven Posted: 08-18-2016 2:55 PM

Hi, I've been having trouble getting a 60Da working on the 90-day camera add-on after a fresh disk install on Win7.

I've followed the instructions in a previous post of exiting TSX-P, deleting the ImagingSystem.ini file, restarting the TSX-P, and I get the same thing.  The EOS software was loaded and registered prior.  The drivers load when I connect the camera to the laptop but this appears to be a TSX-P missing driver problem since they are supposed to be included in 10.3.0 build 8461 straight off the cd rom disk.  This was a fresh disk install onto a Win7 laptop 64-bit.

Thanks, Steven

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 37

OK, no input yet from SB, but, here is more detail.

A friend stopped by and put in his CAO code (and deleted it when they were done), but with the code or using the free 90-day trial, still no Canon Drivers, with or without the camera powered up and plugged in.  Every other camera driver was there in either case but NOT the only one I wanted (or any Canon drivers).  Also, the TSX-P was un-installed and re-installed, but same thing; no joy.

Since the forum posts state the drivers are created by SB, not provided by the camera manufacturers, and I've already deleted the Imaging File, as detailed earlier, and it recreated it as expected; is my disk bad?  I don't need the latest build, 10.3.0 is good for me as-is and it's been working on my planning Win7 laptop just fine.

Need answers..., and a solution.

Steven

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,161
Software Bisque Employee

Steven:
Please try:

1. Exit TheSkyX.
  2. Restore TheSkyX to default settings.
  3. Launch TheSkyX.
  4. Choose your model camera, and connect.

Any difference?

Steven:
A friend stopped by and put in his CAO code (and deleted it when they were done), but with the code or using the free 90-day trial, still no Canon Drivers, with or without the camera powered up and plugged in.  Every other camera driver was there in either case but NOT the only one I wanted (or any Canon drivers).  Also, the TSX-P was un-installed and re-installed, but same thing; no joy.
Activating the Camera Add On will not change the above behavior, nor should uninstalling without restoring TheSkyX's default settings.

Daniel R. Bisque

Software Bisque, Inc.

862 Brickyard Circle

Golden, Colorado 80403-8058

Office Hours: 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday GMT-7:00

Posting Etiquette

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 37

Upon startup of the laptop, TSX-P not running (1), the folder was renamed (2), and TSX-P launched (3) requiring name and code, and the very first thing was choose camera (4), but same code; A necessary driver was not found. Error = 217.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,632
Software Bisque Employee

Steven,

Any reason you're not using a more up to date build of TheSkyX?

This sounds like an odd question too... but are you running an English version of Windows? I know of one other time this happened, and it was someone running a German version of Windows. For some reason, it could never find the DLL's.

The only other explanation I can think of is perhaps some virus scanning software has removed one of the needed DLL files (and it is a DLL that is missing, that's what triggers this message). Can you post a list of .dll files located in TheSkyX's installation folder?

Richard

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 37

"Any reason you're not using a more up to date build of TheSkyX?"

Yes, I've been burned by software upgrades/updates that break things I need and fix things I don't use (seriously break things like shoving a gear up a motor shaft causing 2-months delay while repairs ensued).  I have my disk and though it is a static version I know that I won't find anomalies pop up unexpectedly.  My period of time to get a build has recently passed, but the disk should be good and I'm OK with the static nature.

"are you running an English version of Windows"

To my knowledge, yes.

"Can you post a list of .dll files located in TheSkyX's installation folder?"

Yes, see attached.

Thanks, Steven

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 751

Steven, can you confirm that the Canon EOS Remote Utility can connect to the camera and operate it?

Also, I recommend you check that you have the latest firmware in the camera and latest version of the remote utility.

If Canon EOS Remtoe works, then the next thing to make sure is that the Canon Remote Utility is turned off (exit it) before going into TSX. Sometimes it hides in the system tray, and is still running, and will not release the camera to another application.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 37

I have my planning Win7 laptop which can run this camera, so it would appear the camera has a firmware version that is sufficient.  I don't have EOS Remote Utility loaded so it is not there to cause a release issue.

I don't like loading unnecessary software (see previous reply regarding software upgrades/updates as it also applies to unnecessary software), so it would appear the camera is capable.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 37

It is my understanding that a disk install only puts TSX-P materials into one folder in Program Files and upon starting the program creates the second (the one you previously asked me to rename so my starting the program would reinitiate asking for my code and recreate the folder with its needed .ini).

To test whether my disk is bad, I renamed the two Software Bisque folders in Program Files and Users, and dropped folders from a different computer and clicked the executable in this new SB folder.  The Error=217 still occurred.  Since the info in these two newer folders was from a different code source, i.e. not my disk) the problem apparently is not my disk since that other laptop's source of code can load Canon camera settings.

It would appear my laptop is missing a needed component that SB utilizes.  How many things are there that SB needs to operate on a 64-bit laptop?  Previously the question was asked about English Win7 and request of the .dll's list.  Was anything there missing?  What component is missing that this laptop needs?

Fortunately my wife hasn't insisted I get the problem SB install laptop off the counter top.

Thanks, Steven

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,161
Software Bisque Employee

Steven:
It would appear my laptop is missing a needed component that SB utilizes. 
What version and build of TheSkyX?

Steven:
How many things are there that SB needs to operate on a 64-bit laptop?
Zero.  TheSkyX Pro is a 32-bit application.

Steven:
Previously the question was asked about English Win7 and request of the .dll's list.  Was anything there missing?
No.

Daniel R. Bisque

Software Bisque, Inc.

862 Brickyard Circle

Posting Etiquette

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 37

The version/build of my disk is Version 10.3.0 Build 8461 which did/does work with Canon on the planning Win7 laptop 32-bit.  The new laptop being Win7 64-bit using my disk won't work with Canon.

The version/build of alt-code source dropped into the new Win7 64-bit laptop is Version 10.2.0 Build 7927, with same effect Error=217.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,161
Software Bisque Employee

Steven:
The version/build of my disk is Version 10.3.0 Build 8461 which did/does work with Canon on the planning Win7 laptop 32-bit.
Granted, but this version was released in December 2014.  Consider installing the latest daily build: http://www.bisque.com/sc/media/p/45603.aspx.

Daniel R. Bisque

Software Bisque, Inc.

862 Brickyard Circle

Posting Etiquette

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 37

I could load that onto the new Win7 64-bit sinc the disk won't work....

But, upon clicking Download button;

-Access to this Resource is Denied

-You do not have permission to perform the requested action.

-Please register your software and/or hardware serial numbers, then try again.

Upon re-registering since I had done that when the disk arrived;

-The serial number entered has already been registered.

No joy.  I never had plans of downloading latest builds with the software working I didn't need problems as previously described above potentially happening.

Steven

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,632
Software Bisque Employee

Steven:

I don't have EOS Remote Utility loaded so it is not there to cause a release issue.

I don't like loading unnecessary software (see previous reply regarding software upgrades/updates as it also applies to unnecessary software), so it would appear the camera is capable.

I don't want to disagree with Daniel about getting a newer daily build. There are updates to several of those DLL's that might just cure this problem. That it the same installation works on one laptop and not the other points to some sort of DLL issue however that a new daily build will not help with. It's possible the Canon DLL's need some sort of runtime library support that isn't there because you haven't install the Canon software/drivers. I recommend you do that as well.

I've also seen where Windows will by default grab the camera, (helpful Windows... thanks)... do you see an extra drive letter in explorer when you plug the camera in? This is to allow you to browse and copy over the images from the camera, and this locks the camera out of other third party programs as well. If it is there, try "ejecting" it and see what happens. This one is grasping at straws... the problem I'd expect is "can't connect". The can't load a DLL... there is a DLL that is missing, or a DLL won't load because IT needs some other DLL (that's why I recommend installing the Canon software/drivers).

Richard

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,161
Software Bisque Employee

Steven:

No joy.  I never had plans of downloading latest builds with the software working I didn't need problems as previously described above potentially happening.

Here's the flowchart for why access is denied: http://www.bisque.com/sc/pages/Download-Links-and-Serial-Number.aspx#AccessDenied 

You wrote:

Steven:
I never had plans of downloading latest builds with the software working I didn't need problems as previously described above potentially happening.

And this:

Steven:
This was a fresh disk install onto a Win7 laptop 64-bit.
While TheSkyX is a 32-bit application, an OS upgrade will almost always necessitate updates to TheSkyX.  Sorry for any inconvenience.

Daniel R. Bisque

Software Bisque, Inc.

862 Brickyard Circle

Posting Etiquette

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

© 2017 Software Bisque, Inc. 862 Brickyard Circle, Golden, CO 80403-8058 USA - phone: +1 303 278 4478 fax: +1 303 278 0045
Google+