Software Bisque

Take a virtual tour of the Software Bisque campus Watch Steve Bisque discuss the Paramount mount with S&T's Dennis Di Cicco Read the Paramount MYT Review Read about the Paramount Software Suite

import large asteroid database

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Rod Posted: 01-02-2017 10:29 AM

I'm not able to import asteroid database from either Lowell or MPC.  How might I proceed ?  Having followed instructions via "help" menu I still am not able to do so.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,057
Software Bisque Employee

What product are you using (e.g. TheSkyX), and what is its version and build number?

How are you attempting to import the data? From a file stored locally, or from a live Internet connection? What happens when you try? What is the wording of the error message, if any?

UPDATE: I missed that you specifically referenced the "large asteroid database" in the subject (but not body) of your post. That leads me to think you're using the "Asteroids (Large Database)" tab of TheSkyX's Small Solar System Bodies window. In that case, might it be that the Import button is disabled (grey)? If so, be sure to click the Remove button first. If that's not your issue, then answers to my questions would be helpful.

Brian S. Rickard
Software Bisque, Inc.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 23,810
Software Bisque Employee

Rod:
I'm not able to import asteroid database from either Lowell or MPC.  How might I proceed ?

1. What version and build of TheSkyX?
  2. What is the exact wording of the error message?

See this related thread: http://www.bisque.com/sc/forums/p/29525/147412.aspx#147412.

Daniel R. Bisque

Software Bisque, Inc.

862 Brickyard Circle

Golden, Colorado 80403-8058

Office Hours: 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday GMT-7:00

Posting Etiquette

Not Ranked
Posts 9

I'm using TheSkyX Professional Version 12.2.0 (Build 6695) OpenGL Version 3.0.0 Build 10.18.10.3308

No Error message appears when attempting to import data base, nothing at all happens.

From the main screen "INPUT" pull down menu I select "SMALL SOLAR SYSTEM BODIES"

Next from that dialog box I select "ASTEROIDS (large database)" and the click on the radio button "LOAD LARGE DATABASE ASTEROIDS" nothing at all happens with that.

Next within that same dialog box I see at the bottom two selectable databases, one from MPC the other from Lowell which then launces me to either of their websites where I can select the desired database.  After selecting a database at either website it's clear that the website acknowledges my selection but nothing is done with it.  It doesn't get pulled into TheSkyX and cannot be copy/pasted into a local directory.

Additional information:  When in the "SMALL SOLAR SYSTEM BODIES" dialog box and in "ASTEROIDS (large database) tab the is already a file name selected for what seems to be COMETS and I cannot remove or choose a different file name, its seems stuck there.

Al the radio buttons do not seem grayed out and when clicked on they do blink but nothing happens.

Apparently I'm not doing something correctly, any help much appreciated.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 23,810
Software Bisque Employee

Rod:
I'm using TheSkyX Professional Version 12.2.0 (Build 6695)
Can you please verify this version?  The latest version of TheSkyX Pro is 10.5.0.

Make sure to install the latest release.  Mac Windows

Rod:
Next from that dialog box I select "ASTEROIDS (large database)" and the click on the radio button "LOAD LARGE DATABASE ASTEROIDS" nothing at all happens with that.

1. What is the exact name of the Large Asteroid Database listed on the window?
  2. What is the size of this database file?

Daniel R. Bisque

Software Bisque, Inc.

862 Brickyard Circle

Golden, Colorado 80403-8058

Office Hours: 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday GMT-7:00

Posting Etiquette

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 697

Rod is from the future.   The rest of us are waiting for version 12 ;-)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,057
Software Bisque Employee

Rod, I would suggest that you try Restoring Default Settings.

Are you then able to load the large database of asteroids? If not, does the Small Solar System Objects window continue to behave as you describe, that is, with apparently no response to clicking buttons, aside from their appearance briefly changing to reflect the click?

If there's no change in this respect, perhaps it might help if you could post a screen capture showing the appearance of your Small Solar System Bodies window and its Asteroids (Large Database) tab. (For help with that, see How to Imbed a Picture in a Forum Post.)

Brian S. Rickard
Software Bisque, Inc.

Not Ranked
Posts 9

Brian,

The Restoring Default Settings did in fact clear out the text window adjacent to the "Choose" radio button.  Good first step.  Now starting over attempting to input Large Asteroid Database I click on the highlighted mpcorb.dat on the bottom and am launched to their website.  From there I click on the mpcorb.dat which goes on forever and nothing seems to happen.

No problem getting small asteroid database, just can't seem to figure out how to import the larger database.

And yes,  I do not have version 12 (typo).  It's 10.2.0 build 6695. I'm sure you figured that out, sorry for any error.

Rod

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,057
Software Bisque Employee

Rod:
I click on the highlighted mpcorb.dat on the bottom and am launched to their website.  From there I click on the mpcorb.dat which goes on forever and nothing seems to happen.

Do you mean the MPCORB.DAT.gz link? If not, I'd suggest that you use that, as it is both smaller than the uncompressed MPCORB.DAT file (40.5 MB vs. 141 MB), and extracts as a ready-to-use file, rather than depending upon your ability to properly save the latter to a text file.

Once the MPCORB.DAT file is downloaded/extracted, for simplicity, place it in the Asteroids sub-folder of your Application Support Files (ASF) folder. Then, from TSX's Input, Small Solar System Bodies window, click the Choose button on the Asteroids (Large Database) tab and navigate to this Asteroids sub-folder (if it doesn't open there automatically). Select the MPCORB.DAT file and click the Open button. If the Import button on the Asteroids (Large Database) tab is grey, click the Remove button. Now click the Import button, and you should see a progress indicator while TSX first loads the file, followed by another indicator while it loads the asteroids from the file.

A non-zero value for "asteroids imported" shown below the Import button will confirm the successful loading of the asteroids. Using the file available at the time I wrote this, the count was 728,893.

Brian S. Rickard
Software Bisque, Inc.

Not Ranked
Posts 9

Brian,

Huge thanks for guiding me through loading the Large Asteroid Database. Your instructions worked very well and I was able to import the MPCORB.DAT.gz file, extract and locate in the ASF folder under Asteroids.  Got them all !

Also downloaded TSX latest version 10.5.0.

Another question: Within the Telescope Setup, choosing my mount (Paramount ME) was simple but when choosing my camera (SBIG 8E) the dialog box asked for a serial number.  I entered my TSX number but it was rejected so I went with the trial version for the allotted 75 days.  Is there additional software I need to load my camera selection to avoid the 75 day trial ?

Respectfully,

Rod

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,057
Software Bisque Employee

Rod,

You need the optional Camera Add On to permit integrated camera control within TheSkyX. As you've observed, a limited-time free trial of this, and other, add-ons is included. You may continue to use the trial until it expires, after which you can either cease to use it, or purchase it (in the form of an additional serial number) from our store.

I'll point out that this add-on is a one-time purchase. Like TheSkyX, you may continue to use it indefinitely, but if you want to take advantage of updates after your subscription has expired, you'll need to renew your subscription to TheSkyX. The Camera, TPoint and Dome Add Ons do not have separate subscriptions; if your subscription to TheSkyX is current, then you'll have access to the latest version of any of these add-ons you've purchased.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Brian S. Rickard
Software Bisque, Inc.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS

© 2017 Software Bisque, Inc. 862 Brickyard Circle, Golden, CO 80403-8058 USA - phone: +1 303 278 4478 fax: +1 303 278 0045
Google+