Software Bisque

Take a virtual tour of the Software Bisque campus Watch Steve Bisque discuss the Paramount mount with S&T's Dennis Di Cicco Read the Paramount MYT Review Read about the Paramount Software Suite

The sky X pro and SBIG STL 11000

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Posts 13
jvmartins Posted: 01-28-2017 8:09 AM

Hi,

I am using Mac Sierra, The SKY X pro w/ Camera add-on and SBIG STL11000. 

I recent rebuilt my MAC and I can't get the SKY pro to see the Camera, it keeps return error "SBIG driver not found Error 30027".

I dot remember installation drivers before, is there something specific I have to do to make it work?

Thanks 

Ayman

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,474

Install the SBIG driver for the camera. Try this: ftp://ftp.sbig.com/pub/SBIGDriverInstallerUniv.dmg

Not Ranked
Posts 13

Thank you, 

I did install it earlier and reinstalled it agin after your advice, but no change. 

The lights on the camera seem to come on and off when I plug power, then nothing when I try to access through the SW. 

Regards 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,669
Software Bisque Employee

The error message means TheSkyX cannot load the SBIG camera driver.

1. What version and build of TheSkyX?
  2. Is SBIG's CCDOPS for Mac able to connect to the camera?
  3. Does the Mac System Information recognize the USB camera?

Daniel R. Bisque

Software Bisque, Inc.

862 Brickyard Circle

Golden, Colorado 80403-8058

Office Hours: 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday GMT-7:00

Posting Etiquette

Not Ranked
Posts 13

Hi,

1. I am using the SkyX Professional Edition Version 10.3.0 (Build 8461)

2. I have CCDOPS on Windows on a PC and that works fine with Camera, did not try CCDOPS for MAC

3. Not sure where to check to see if MAC recognize the camera, The SkyX was my only source, and I lost it access to the camera after rebuilding my MAC while upgrading to Mac OS Sierra.  

Not Ranked
Posts 13

UPDATE

I have updated to The SkyX Pro to 10.5.0 (Build 10554), and I can see Mac detecting the USB camera as Vendor-specific Device (see below),Not sure if that is OK or not, But it still does not work and when I try to connect to camera I get the same error "Device Not Found, Error=30027:

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,669
Software Bisque Employee
  1. How is the camera physically connected to the computer (USB, Ethernet, other)?
  2. What is the exact Camera name selected on the Imaging System Setup list?
  3. What is the exact name of the Interface selected from the Settings command on the Camera Setup pop-up menu?

Daniel R. Bisque

Software Bisque, Inc.

862 Brickyard Circle

Posting Etiquette

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,669
Software Bisque Employee

Ayman.altounji:

2. I have CCDOPS on Windows on a PC and that works fine with Camera, did not try CCDOPS for MAC

Please download, install and test CCDOPS on the Mac.

Daniel R. Bisque

Software Bisque, Inc.

862 Brickyard Circle

Posting Etiquette

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,474

It may be this is the El Capitan / Sierra introduced security changes that are stopping drivers from loading.  Diffraction Limited was having an issue with getting Apple to approve the new driver signatures etc since they took over SBIG. Hopefully DL gets it sorted soon.

Meanwhile, here's some info - near the bottom is a workaround.

http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/485322-osx-1010-breaks-sbig-usb-drivers/

Not Ranked
Posts 3

Not sure if you have found your solution, but I did manage to get this resolved. It is much as Mr. Haig describes, this issue is with SBIGs unsigned drivers. And with all due respect, this is not a matter of SBIG having a problem with Apple, its the other way around. SBIG does not want to play by Apple's rules and has effectively turned their backs on their customers who own "older" SBIG cameras by not devoting resources to this issue. They've known about the problem for over 2 years, they know exactly how to resolve the problem, but refuse to act.

In order to get a Mac running any of the last 4 OSs (and especially the last 2) to use unsigned drivers, this security feature must be "sidestepped". I'm running Sierra (10.12) on a Mac that is ONLY used for astro imaging. Unless you very diligent about the things you load or the website you visit, this may not be the solution you want to go with. This solution will allow you to install apps and use unsigned drivers from ANYWHERE. However, your Mac will still prompt you for your password before installing such apps, so at least you'll still have the final say before something gets installed.

Here's what you need to do: Boot into the recovery partition (hold down the "option" key on boot). Next, open a terminal session, from the top menu, not the on screen menu. To disable SIP type: csrutil disable. Alternatively you can keep SIP enabled but still allow unsigned drivers to be used. To do this type: csrutil enable --without kext.

I went with the former, and turned off all SIP. I would suggest that you do the same at least until you get everything installed and working to your satisfaction, then perhaps go back and execute the latter command, i.e. turn SIP back on but allow unsigned drivers. This has to be done from the root, it can not be done from a terminal session while looked in as a user, even if you are the admin.

As a side note, I also use USB to serial adapters to connect to my RoboFocus and Temma 2. As far as I can tell all OS X versions after Snow Leopard require FTDI USB to Serial adapters. I had no idea this "1990s" technology had changed over the past few years. I had been running the tried and true Prolific adapters which stopped working altogether with OS 10.11 (El Cap). These do still work on Window 7 (rinse my mouth out). In theory, driver signing for FTDI is not an issue since the drivers come with the newer OS X versions. As mentioned above, I've turned off the requirement to have signed drivers, so it not an issue for me.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,474

Don, am not sure I agree with your assessment of SBIG and Apple, so am not going to comment on that part. Hopefully it gets resolved.

Thank you for posting the details of your approach to a workaround though - am sure many will find it helpful.

Not Ranked
Posts 3

Colin Haig:
Don, am not sure I agree with your assessment of SBIG and Apple

There are many companies which provide applications and drivers that run on Apple computers, Bisque is one of many. The Bisque drivers supplied with TheSkyX work perfectly with my Mac and many many other Macs over a wide swath of OS X versions. Obviously, these folks know what it takes to both write software for a Mac and get it signed by Apple. Its not an impossible task to overcome. And while I love my STL-11000 and have nothing but the utmost respect for all the cameras and related technology that SBIG has pioneered and advanced over the years, there is a glaring lack of, shall we call it "concern", for the software side of the equation. This thread clearly shows that this issue was reported at least as early as December 2014, and to this date they still have not provided a solution to the signed driver issue.

http://www.diffractionlimited.com/forum/threads/osx-10-10-1-breaks-sbig-universal-drivers.368/

I stand by my assessment of SBIG and Apple. Lots of developers get signed drivers and apps from Apple every day, my company included. It usually takes Apple about a week to complete the paperwork provided everything is in order. SBIG has had *over* 2 years to get this resolved. There's absolutely no way this is the result of Apple causing the problem. 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,474

SBIG/Diffracion have an updated driver for MAC OS X for the newer generation cameras:

http://www.diffractionlimited.com/forum/threads/osx-10-10-1-breaks-sbig-universal-drivers.368/page-4#post-17591

and are actively working on the older generation cameras like the STL11k, as noted in the post above.

If I hear of any other updates, will let you guys know.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,474

Diffraction now has a beta driver for MAC OSX for the newer generations of SBIG cameras (for STT, STF, ST-i, and STX/STXL cameras ONLY),:

http://www.diffractionlimited.com/forum/threads/osx-10-10-1-breaks-sbig-universal-drivers.368/page-4#post-17591

and they are actively working to get the older cameras (STL, ST2000, etc) running as well.

If I see a further update, will post here.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 120

I was playing around with my SBIG ST10 to see if it will run in SkyX Pro for Mac (Sierra) yet.  I plugged it in, turned on the power and - nothing.  Wouldn't connect and remained silent.  Sort of as I expected (but still disappointing) given the above posts and nothing further from SBIG/Diffraction.

I then connected it to a Windows 10 laptop, the fan started running and it connected to SkyX.  It seems to operate as expected.

I then had a crazy thought and pulled the USB connection.  The fan continued running so I plugged it into my MacBook Pro.  I selected ST10 in the Camera tab and hit connect.  To my surprise the camera connected and appears (after a few test exposures) to operate normally.  The filter wheel (CFW10) took a couple of disconnect and reconnect camera but was then recognised (with the correct number of filter slots) and also seems to operate normally.  The internal auto guider connects and seems to take photos just fine.

This is truly weird.  I have no idea how robust the connection might be and I haven't tested it under the stars, but it all seems to work.

Of course this is far from a solution, but it appears there is a way of "jump-starting" an older generation SBIG on a Windows computer and transferring it (without powering down) to a Mac.  Others may tell me this is a way of damaging one or both computers and/or the camera.  Since I have both Mac and Windows machines, I don't suppose I will use this option much, if at all.  As I expected, when I disconnected and powered down the camera in SkyX Mac, it wouldn't reconnect when powered back up.  It needs a jump-start again - the battery stays flat.

I have no idea if this is of any practical use to anyone.  It still needs access to a Windows machine with SkyX loaded), but I thought I would mention it.  May just help someone in a fix, e.g. at a star party with just a Mac wanting to run an older SBIG, but where a Windows machine can be borrowed briefly, assuming of course that what I have discovered doesn't involve terminal damage to any of the kit!

Mark

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

© 2018 Software Bisque, Inc. 862 Brickyard Circle, Golden, CO 80403-8058 USA - phone: +1 303 278 4478 fax: +1 303 278 0045
Google+