Software Bisque

Take a virtual tour of the Software Bisque campus Watch Steve Bisque discuss the Paramount mount with S&T's Dennis Di Cicco Read the Paramount MYT Review Read about the Paramount Software Suite

The SkyX & TPoint

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Tomoarnold Posted: 11-28-2017 12:55 PM

I have purchased the SkyX & TPoint add on. After going through the manuals, I still have a problem. The SkyX running on my PC is connected via serial link to my Gemini 1 telescope control system. Communication is ok. Yet as I add stars to the TPoint model I see NO improvement in the pointing accuracy of the mount, a CI-700. Both the mount and software appear to be communicating correctly. I simply see no change in pointing accuracy. Other blogs suggest deactivating the "Sync Mode Affects Model" which an option I have yet to find.

I am running Windows 10 on an Alienware laptop.

Your assistance will be appreciated.

Thanks

Tom Arnold

tomoarnold@gmail.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,037
Software Bisque Employee

What is your exact version and build of TheSkyX (Help > About TheSkyX)?

What mount/controller have you chosen in TheSkyX's Choose Mount window? Are you using ASCOM?

Tomoarnold:
Yet as I add stars to the TPoint model I see NO improvement in the pointing accuracy of the mount, a CI-700.

You must collect at least six samples before the mount's pointing can be improved. You should also collect at least 40 samples, including some from both sides of the meridian.

Have you had TPoint perform a Super Model on your calibration data?

Tomoarnold:
Other blogs suggest deactivating the "Sync Mode Affects Model" which an option I have yet to find.

You may be referring to this How do you disable the Gemini modeling, to use T-Point or ACP post on a third-party web site. This addresses using ASCOM, rather than TheSkyX's native support of the Gemini controllers.

Brian S. Rickard
Software Bisque, Inc.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Thanks for the quick reply Brian. I am using The SkyX 10.5.0 Build 10305. I am using Losmandy Astronomical Products/ Gemini compatible mount. Although I do have the ASCOM drivers for the Gemini loaded and operational but are not used in The SkyX.

...hope this helps.
Thanks
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,037
Software Bisque Employee

It would help if you share your TPoint data (.TPTX) file.

I'd also recommend you consider updating to TheSkyX Professional Edition - Latest Daily Build (Mac, Windows).

Brian S. Rickard
Software Bisque, Inc.

Not Ranked
Posts 3

Brian;

The TPoint data was so bad, I deleted it. When changing alignment stars, I was lucky to get within the field of view of a 40mm eyepiece on my C11. My last alignment run Saturday night contained a collection of 8 stars on the west of the Meridian.  

Why would changing to the professional edition of The SkyX when the issue is with TPoint and the Gemini 1? 

Thanks

Tom

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,037
Software Bisque Employee

Tomoarnold:
When changing alignment stars, I was lucky to get within the field of view of a 40mm eyepiece on my C11.

By "changing alignment stars" do you mean the result of slewing to another star to collect a pointing sample? You shouldn't be aligning after initiating the TPoint calibration run. TheSkyX can't improve the accuracy of such a slew until you've collected at least six (reasonably-distributed) samples.

Tomoarnold:
My last alignment run Saturday night contained a collection of 8 stars on the west of the Meridian.

That's barely enough for TPoint to get started, and you really need samples on both sides of the meridian.

Tomoarnold:
Why would changing to the professional edition of The SkyX when the issue is with TPoint and the Gemini 1?

Sorry, I incorrectly assumed you had the Professional Edition. It wasn't my intent to suggest that you upgrade from the Serious Astronomer to Professional, rather that you update from build 10305 to a newer one. So, consider TheSkyX Serious Astronomer Edition - Latest Update (Mac, Windows), which is presently at build 10569.

Brian S. Rickard
Software Bisque, Inc.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS

© 2018 Software Bisque, Inc. 862 Brickyard Circle, Golden, CO 80403-8058 USA - phone: +1 303 278 4478 fax: +1 303 278 0045
Google+