Software Bisque

Take a virtual tour of the Software Bisque campus Watch Steve Bisque discuss the Paramount mount with S&T's Dennis Di Cicco Read the Paramount MYT Review Read about the Paramount Software Suite

Presales question about the Taurus 400

rated by 0 users
This post has 1 Reply | 2 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 413
Ed33635 Posted: 07-10-2018 6:55 PM

I own a Paramount ME which currently supports a Planewave CDK20 however I need a fork mount for the next phase of my research and I was considering the Taurus 400 OAE.  I have several questions about it:

1)  The Taurus 400 OAE is supposed to support only 150 lbs. but my telescope and camera combination is probably closer to 180 lbs.  Would the Taurus 400 support  180 lbs. with equal accuracy and precision as a 150 lbs. telescope?

2)  I own a 20" Planewave CDK20 telescope.  Will the Taurus 400 OAE work with that?  Will it fit?

3)  What adapter kit would I need to attach the Planewave CDK20 to the Taurus 400 OAE mount?  Is the adapter kit sold by Bisque or by Planewave?

4)  Assuming Planewave sells the adapter kit, would Planewave need to take my telescope in to their factory to add the adapters to fit the CDK20 to the Taurus 400 OAE?  Or could I modify the CDK20 with the proper adapters myself?

5)  I have a TON of cabling that comes from the camera (which rotates) and the telescope.  Can this cabling be easily threaded through the mount somehow?  Does it need to be threaded at all considering that it is a fork mount?  I use the telescope remotely so I cannot see if any cabling is getting caught on hardware.

Thanks.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,210
Software Bisque Employee

Here's a copy of the private email I sent to you:

Ed33635:
1)  The Taurus 400 OAE is supposed to support only 150 lbs. but my telescope and camera combination is probably closer to 180 lbs.  Would the Taurus 400 support  180 lbs. with equal accuracy and precision as a 150 lbs. telescope?
While the Paramount Taurus will carry the payload, operating any mount above the weight limit specification generally requires longer settling times after slews, lowering the maximum slew rate and decreasing the acceleration rates.  

IOW, it will work, but perhaps not ideally.

Have you considered the Paramount Taurus model 500?  It is specifically designed to carry 0.5m OTAs with all the additional equipment (camera, focuser, filter wheel, etc.)

Ed33635:
2)  I own a 20" Planewave CDK20 telescope.  Will the Taurus 400 OAE work with that?  Will they fit together?

And: 

Ed33635:
3)  What adapter kit would I need to attach the Planewave CDK20 to the Taurus 400 OAE mount?  Is the adapter kit sold by Bisque or by Planewave?
The Paramount Taurus 500 is compatible with the 20-inch CDK OTA.  OTA to fork mounting hardware is included.

Ed33635:
4)  Assuming Planewave sells the adapter kit, would Planewave need to take my telescope in to their factory to add the adapters to fit the CDK20 to the Taurus 400 OAE?  Or could I modify the CDK20 with the proper adapters myself?

Software Bisque manufactures the OTA to fork mounting hardware.   If there’s anything missing, we can manufacture it.

Ed33635:
5)  I have a TON of cabling that comes from the camera (which rotates) and telescope.  Can this cabling be easily threaded through the mount somehow?  Does it need to be threaded considering that it is a fork mount?  I use the telescope remotely so I cannot see if any cabling is getting caught on hardware.

As with all Paramount mounts, through the mount cabling is straightforward:

• The mount’s base includes a spacious through-hole to easily snake custom cables through the mount, and “keystones” to neatly terminate up to three “generic” cables (USB, Ethernet, etc.)
  • The inner portion of both fork arms include integrated cable channels that can be used to snake cables up to the top of the fork arm.  The cable channel on one fork carries the Dec motor cables.  The cable channel on the other fork is available for custom cables.
  • If the size of the through the mount cabling exceeds the size of the cable channel, cables can be run inside the fork arm, up to the OTA (or a Rig Runner mounted to the fork, etc.)
  • One extreme cabling example is the multi-array Dragonfly Project which uses the Paramount Taurus 600 to carry 24 optics and 24 SBIG cameras.  This is a cabling nightmare nicely executed. 
  • Here is a link to some photos of the Paramount Taurus 500 with an Officiana Stellare 500 here in our office that attempt to show the cable channels.

Please let me know if you have additional questions!

Daniel R. Bisque

Software Bisque, Inc.

862 Brickyard Circle

Golden, Colorado 80403-8058

Office Hours: 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday GMT-7:00

Posting Etiquette

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS

© 2018 Software Bisque, Inc. 862 Brickyard Circle, Golden, CO 80403-8058 USA - phone: +1 303 278 4478 fax: +1 303 278 0045
Google+