Software Bisque

Take a virtual tour of the Software Bisque campus Watch Steve Bisque discuss the Paramount mount with S&T's Dennis Di Cicco Read the Paramount MYT Review Read about the Paramount Software Suite

Comet Data Base

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Posts 30
donwaters Posted: 12-05-2018 8:19 AM

Nothing imports from web. Downloading file from IAU and importing is still nothing.

I have read the posts on here and nothing helps. I have last update installed.

Don Waters

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,346
Software Bisque Employee

What edition (e.g. Serious or Pro) of TheSkyX are you using, and what is its exact version and build? What OS?

For recent builds, there are no known problems with either method you mentioned for importing comet data. As you may have read (such as here), the web-import feature was broken in earlier builds when the Minor Planet Center switched their service from HTTP to secure HTTPS.

Might it be that comets have been importing, but you're having trouble finding them on the Sky Chart? Open the Input > Small Solar System Bodies window and, from the Comets tab, check the Number of comets value indicated. If it is greater than zero, then you've successfully imported some. If it's zero, then please describe what happens when you try to import, such as by using the Observable button. If you receive an error message, what is its wording?

If there's a particular comet you're trying to import, what is its name?

UPDATE: You can also use the Edit > Find window's Advanced tab to look for presently-loaded comets under Solar System Objects / Small Solar System Bodies / Comets.

Brian S. Rickard
Software Bisque, Inc.

Not Ranked
Posts 30

1. Serious Astronomer Edition
  2. Version 10.5.0 (Build 10569)
  3. Checked updates: I have the latest
  4. Win 10 – automatically updated by MSN continually

Here is what I am doing.

1. Input > Small Solar System Bodies
  2. Tab = Comets
  3. Import Observable
  4. Number of Comets = 0

A dialog box tries to pop up showing “downloading” but will not stay.

If I download the file from the IAU site, the file says it cannot be imported.

I am looking for Wirtanen.

If I search name: 46P/Wirtanen, not found.

This is the  first time I have used the comet options, so very possible I am just missing something obvious.

Thanks,

Don

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,346
Software Bisque Employee

Thanks for the detailed response to each of my questions.

For your build number (which is currently the latest for TheSkyX Serious Astronomer Edition), you will need to follow the URL-editing instructions in the post to which I already linked in my prior reply, but again is here.

This isn't necessary for builds 11355 and later, but that hasn't yet reached the Serious edition.

Brian S. Rickard
Software Bisque, Inc.

Not Ranked
Posts 30

Got it.

Thanks.

Don

Not Ranked
Posts 16

Just FYI having the same issue on a newly installed version of TheSkyX - thanks for this timely posting, chasing Wirtanen also.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,346
Software Bisque Employee

Martin Ratcliffe:
Just FYI having the same issue on a newly installed version of TheSkyX…

Which edition (Serious Astronomer, Professional), and what exact version and build of TheSkyX? Also, what OS (Windows, Mac)?

If you haven't already, run the Help > Check for Updates command to find if an update is available, and if there is, I'd recommend updating.

Brian S. Rickard
Software Bisque, Inc.

Not Ranked
Posts 30

I have WIN 10 and have latest update. However the BUILD out does not include the correct address to IAU. The website saved by The Sky is http, but you must change to https.

Don

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,346
Software Bisque Employee

(See Update Note below*.)

I see from your registrations that you have TheSkyX Professional Edition for Windows. If it didn't already have the updated MPC URLs, then you have a build earlier than 11355. In that case, when you run the Help > Check for Updates command, you'll either be told that a newer update is available, or that a newer daily build is available.

My recommendation would be to download and install the latest daily build, which is more than two years newer than the currently-available latest update for the Windows version, build 10305. If you'd like to see the (incomplete) listing of the intervening enhancements and bug fixes, see the Daily Build Change Log. All of the hundreds of items listed there are newer than the latest update.

*UPDATE: Sorry, I thought the previous post was Martin replying to questions I asked him. In your (Don's) case, as I've already said, TheSkyX Serious Astronomer Edition does not yet have an update available with the revised MPC URLs, so you must change them manually.

Brian S. Rickard
Software Bisque, Inc.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS

© 2018 Software Bisque, Inc. 862 Brickyard Circle, Golden, CO 80403-8058 USA - phone: +1 303 278 4478 fax: +1 303 278 0045
Google+