Software Bisque

Take a virtual tour of the Software Bisque campus Watch Steve Bisque discuss the Paramount mount with S&T's Dennis Di Cicco Read the Paramount MYT Review Read about the Paramount Software Suite

MX cord to Computer

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 15
Terry R Swartz Posted: 01-03-2019 1:03 PM

The cord I have running from the MX Mount to my computer, appears to be causing the mount to shut down at random times during a photo session.  The error I am getting is 201, bad connection.  I looked in your Store for a replacement, but found none.  Will any cord work, so long as it fits.  If not, where do I find a replacement????     Thanks

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,870
Software Bisque Employee

How have you determined that the cord is responsible? Have you tried another that doesn't result in the problem? If so, you should probably use it. We recommend that you use a high quality USB 2.0-approved cable of no longer than 5m / 16 ft. 5 in. Longer lengths are possible using certain (but not all) extenders.

Before replacing your cable, I would suggest that you see our Troubleshooting USB Communication Failures knowledge base article, as you may be experiencing a software (e.g. Windows' Selective Suspend) issue, rather one of a hardware nature.

Brian S. Rickard
Software Bisque, Inc.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 27,663
Software Bisque Employee

Terry R Swartz:
The cord I have running from the MX Mount to my computer, appears to be causing the mount to shut down at random times during a photo session.  The error I am getting is 201, bad connection.
Just to be sure we're on the same page, is the "cord" to which you refer plugged into the Paramount Electronics Box port labeled USB and the other end plugged into the computer's USB port?

Terry R Swartz:
  If not, where do I find a replacement???? 
As described in the Paramount User Guide under, this is a USB cable with a 5-pin Mini-b USB style connector that plugs into USB port on the Electronics Box and a standard USB-A plug that plugs into the PC. 

Replacement mini-USB cables can be purchased on the web, or at most electronics stores, office supply stores, and many big box stores.

Daniel R. Bisque

Software Bisque, Inc.

862 Brickyard Circle

Golden, Colorado 80403-8058

Office Hours: 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday GMT-7:00

Posting Etiquette

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,619

Check to make sure your USB ports aren’t going to sleep on your computer. That is a big contributor to that problem. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,870
Software Bisque Employee

By email 2019-01-03 23:16Z (How do I reply to a post on the Software Bisque Forum?):

Terry R Swartz:

Daniel R. Bisque:
Just to be sure we're on the same page, is the "cord" to which you refer plugged into the Paramount Electronics Box port labeled USB and the other end plugged into the computer's USB port?

That's correct.  I have tried everything I can think of to keep the cord in the port.  The communication error happens at least once every time I use the mount.

Terry,

Do you mean that the cord is physically becoming unplugged? If so, you might consider this post for a suggested intermediate cable to reduce strain on the mount's USB port.

Brian S. Rickard
Software Bisque, Inc.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,870
Software Bisque Employee

By email 2019-01-04 14:44Z (How do I reply to a post on the Software Bisque Forum?):

Terry R Swartz:

I don't know for sure if it is, but it be shifting just enough to cause the communication problem.  I have wrapped it around the knob above it to keep it from moving, which worked for awhile, but that seems to have stopped working.  When I unplug it and then plug it back in, my connection comes back but the mount has lost its position and I have to start all over again with Home and Sync

It may not be this, but "wrapped it around the knob" makes me wonder if it the cable has been damaged internally from bending at a small radius. Even if it has, if this wrapping was done only after you started encountering communication problems, it may be there is a problem elsewhere, though still possibly within the cable.

If you haven't already, do try a different, preferably known-good USB cable, male Type A plug at the computer end and male type Mini B plug at the mount end.

Brian S. Rickard
Software Bisque, Inc.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,870
Software Bisque Employee

By email 2019-01-04 14:46Z (How do I reply to a post on the Software Bisque Forum?):

shadowfax:

Charles Walker:

Check to make sure your USB ports aren’t going to sleep on your computer. That is a big contributor to that problem. 

thanks, but I fixed that issue a long time ago.  I still think the cord is either bad or is shifting in the port

Before you dismiss this possibility, you should confirm that the setting hasn't been changed, perhaps without your knowledge by a Windows update, as is all too common. See our knowledge base article Disabling Windows' USB Selective Suspend and this user-supplied solution to Auto-Disable USB Selective Suspend Settings.

Brian S. Rickard
Software Bisque, Inc.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,870
Software Bisque Employee

By email 2019-01-21:45Z (How do I reply to a post on the Software Bisque Forum?):

shadowfax:
Thanks for the reply.  I did buy a new cord and have used the mount now for several hours without an incident.  I hope that was the problem

Hopefully so. If not, we've given you some other things to check.

Thanks for the update.

P.S.—For future reference, please read and follow How do I reply to a post on the Software Bisque Forum?

Brian S. Rickard
Software Bisque, Inc.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS

© 2019 Software Bisque, Inc. 862 Brickyard Circle, Golden, CO 80403-8058 USA - phone: +1 303 278 4478 fax: +1 303 278 0045
Google+