Software Bisque

Take a virtual tour of the Software Bisque campus Watch Steve Bisque discuss the Paramount mount with S&T's Dennis Di Cicco Read the Paramount MYT Review Read about the Paramount Software Suite

Tcf-s3 focuser on ras pi

rated by 0 users
This post has 14 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 10
deisenlord Posted: 05-12-2019 12:31 PM

Is it true the optec tcf series is not supported on the pi even though it is under linux?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 27,539
Software Bisque Employee

deisenlord:
Is it true the optec tcf series is not supported on the pi even though it is under linux?
See this table.  The Optec TCF-S focuser is not supported on Linux or Raspbian operating systems. 

Daniel R. Bisque

Software Bisque, Inc.

862 Brickyard Circle

Golden, Colorado 80403-8058

Office Hours: 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday GMT-7:00

Posting Etiquette

Not Ranked
Posts 10

I totally missed Linux wasn't supported, can't read I guess!   Is there a way for people to contribute, I'm a professional software engineer in another life and using the focuser under Linux in Indi/Kstars and have done some development on the Optec Rotator as well as FLI and Apogee cameras on that platform.  I'm interested in possibly switching from kstars/indi to your software.

Thanks,

David

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,827
Software Bisque Employee

We welcome and encourage the development of TheSkyX plug-ins by our user community!

Here are some relevant resources:

Brian S. Rickard
Software Bisque, Inc.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 462

I should say it’s relatively easy to write an X2 plugin for a focuser - once you have mastered the mechanics of the X2 infrastructure, you can do write the plug in over a weekend. 

https://rti-zone.org/macosx_x2focuser_plugins.php

Rodolphe has a great site on this - see link above. 

Colin

Not Ranked
Posts 10

Thanks, yes I would think it should be straight forward given a working OSX driver exists.

Now to find the time :-)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,569
Software Bisque Employee

Daniel R. Bisque:

See this table.  The Optec TCF-S focuser is not supported on Linux or Raspbian operating systems. 

Stand by on this.... there's no technical reason this is supported every where but Linux/Raspbian. Let me do some house keeping and see if we can't get it added quickly.

Richard

Not Ranked
Posts 10

Adding to my last reply, wouldn't a port of the osx driver be the way to go.  I did the reverse of this in indi, ported some linux drives to osx.  Given the serial interface details are abstracted away I would think it should be simple.  Am I missing something?   Is the osx driver source available?   

Thanks, David

Not Ranked
Posts 10

Order placed.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 462

The beauty of the X2 standard is that it more or less compiled as is. No real porting required since the X2 standard is cross platform. Richard may just need to compile on the other systems  

Colin

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 976

There is no need to port.. Richard just need to recompile and test .. :)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,569
Software Bisque Employee

Richard Wright:
Stand by on this....

Okay, you can quit standing by. This is nothing more than a bookkeeping issue. The TCF family of focusers has always been supported on Linux (both x86 and ARM/Pi). The web page just needs to be updated is all.

This is an aging controller, mine does give Err=1 when I connect to it (on all OS's) on the hand box. However it does work perfectly fine. Reports position, moves, etc. I knew I had used mine before on the Raspberry Pi, but I had to wait until I could dig mine out of the shed and fire up a Pi and Linux machine to make sure. The support for this goes back to TheSky6 days actually, so it's not an actual plug-in per se. Lately I've been using the TCF-Lynx which connects to the FocusLynx controller... which is also supported across the board ;-)

Richard

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 27,539
Software Bisque Employee

Richard Wright:
Stand by on this.... there's no technical reason this is supported every where but Linux/Raspbian. Let me do some house keeping and see if we can't get it added quickly.
Thanks for setting this straight.  The Optec TCF-S focuser (a serial device) is presently natively supported by TheSkyX on all operating systems.  The table has been updated to reflect this oversight.

Daniel R. Bisque

Software Bisque, Inc.

862 Brickyard Circle

Golden, Colorado 80403-8058

Office Hours: 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday GMT-7:00

Posting Etiquette

Not Ranked
Posts 10

Perfect, thanks.

Not Ranked
Posts 10

I was able to get all my gear working with TSX latest on OSX (Mojave even),  AP mount, FLI camera, ASI camera, FLI wheel and TCF-S3 focus.  Very impressed.  Hope to try the PI this weekend.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS

© 2019 Software Bisque, Inc. 862 Brickyard Circle, Golden, CO 80403-8058 USA - phone: +1 303 278 4478 fax: +1 303 278 0045
Google+