Paramount MYT FAQs
Q: What is the Paramount MYT?
A: The Paramount MYT (pronounced “mighty”) Robotic Telescope Mount is a German equatorial mount designed from the base up to provide unsurpassed stability and performance for portable, semi-portable, or permanent installations. Other than its smaller stature and lower total payload capacity, the Paramount MYT incorporates essentially every feature found in the higher capacity Paramount ME II and Paramount MX+ models.
Q: What is the price of the Paramount MYT?
A: The price of the Paramount MYT is $6,000.
Q: What is the current lead time?
A: Please call the Software Bisque Front Desk to check on the current mount delivery times.
Features and Specifications
The Paramount MYT has a broad range of exciting features and capabilities that will keep you focused on the stars and not your equipment. Software Bisque urges you to compare the Paramount MYT feature set with every other commercial mount in this price range before buying any mount.
- German equatorial mount design.
- Instrument capacity (not including the counterweights): 50 lb (23 kg). Maximum payload capacity (instruments plus counterweights): 100 lb (46 kg). The purchase of additional counterweights may be required for heavier payloads.
- Weight of the mount (including the Versa-Plate): 34 lb (15.4 kg)
- Every Paramount MYT component is custom machined from 6061 aluminum at Software Bisque's production facility. The precision worms are machined from brass.
- Brass worms and aluminum gears that have a maximum seven (7) arcsecond peak-to-peak periodic error before periodic error correction. When periodic error correction is applied, the resulting peak-to-peak periodic error should be approximately one (1) arcsecond or less.
- Both the right ascension and declination axes have a simple two position mechanical "switch" to engage the worm during normal operation, disengage the worm from the gear when balancing the payload. A separate knob locks and unlocks each axis for transport.
- GEM design allows the right ascension axis to track past the meridian for up to 2 hours (time).
- All internal harnesses (cables) and motors are encapsulated inside the body of the mount.
- Through the mount access holes allow you to add your own internal cables.
- Calibrated polar alignment adjustments.
- Paramount homing, tracking and pointing performance.
- 4.33-inch contact ball bearings in both right ascension and declination.
- Periodic error correction curve fitting included with TheSkyX Professional Edition.
- 45 arcminute bubble level included.
- A Paramount-style Versa-Plate for attaching optical tube assemblies is included.
- Power supply included. Paramount MYT power supply specifications: Max Power Output: 80W, Input: 100-240VAC ~47-63 Hz 1.9A, Output: 48V 1.66A max.
- One (1) 20 lb (9kg) counterweight included and can balance payloads from about 25-30 pounds. The purchase of additional counterweights may be required for heavier payloads.. Optional 10 lb (4.5 kg) counterweights are sold separately.
- 33 cm (13 in.) long, 3.81 cm (1.5 in.) wide stainless steel counterweight shaft. Thread-compatible with the Paramount Counterweight Extension Shaft.
- Standard Paramount MYT wedge can be adjusted to reach latitudes from zero (0) degrees to sixty-four (64) degrees.
- Azimuth axis polar axis adjustment range is plus or minus 3.5 degrees from center position (seven degrees total).
- Altitude and azimuth polar alignment knobs are calibrated, so that making adjustments using the TPoint Polar Alignment Report is simple and accurate.
Control System and Electronics
- The Paramount MYT includes the MKS 5000, Software Bisque's fourth generation dual axis telescope control system.
MKS 5000 Electronics
- Integrated USB 2.0 computer to mount communication interface can be controlled via TheSkyX Professional Edition on macOS, Windows, Linux (Ubuntu) and Raspbian out of the box.
- Integrated two port USB 2.0 hub at the camera-end of the telescope, right where USB ports are needed most.
- The position of the motors is monitored 3333 times each second to ensure optimal tracking accuracy and smooth, consistent slews at all rates and all times.
- Tracking and "in progress slews" are immediately stopped in the event the mount's payload encounters a fixed object, such as the side of the pier.
- The single board control system electronics requires the minimum number of components and has a small physical size.
- Hand controller features an integrated mini-joystick controller and configurable rate, a five position switch that allows single-handed mount control, an integrated bright red LED flashlight, sturdy "hang anywhere" cable loop and 15-foot coiled hand paddle to mount cable.
- Programmable periodic error correction with advanced periodic error curve fitting built into TheSkyX Professional Edition.
- Built-in autoguider port on the Instrument Panel.
- Built-in focuser port on the Instrument Panel.
- One 12V and one 5V power port on the Instrument Panel.
- An integrated through the mount generic "power source" port on the Instrument Panel backed with 18-gauge wire to supply power to your observing equipment.
- Configurable software limits (using TheSkyX Professional Edition) to ensure the mount does not encounter the pier.
- Brushless DC servomotors with all moving parts on bearing surfaces. If your mount is used for survey astronomy all night, every clear night, no other type of motor is sufficient. Other commercial mounts use "brushed motors" that don't have nearly the life expectancy of brushless DC servomotors and are not designed to be operated for long periods at the (relatively slow) sidereal rate.
- DC servomotors provide fast slew speeds and consistent torque at all slew rates. the default maximum slew rate is 5.4 degrees per second. The gear-reducer and worm-block design of the Paramount MYT are extremely efficient so that little power is lost between the motor and the telescope drive. Though good balance is always recommended, the Paramount MYT has no problem slewing or tracking when several foot-pounds out of balance. You'll spend less time fiddling with the telescope and more time acquiring data. If required, slewing and tracking rates of up to six (6) degrees per second in both right ascension axis and declination can be achieved using an optional, higher amperage power supply. An optional, higher wattage power supply is sold separately that can be used to achieve maximum slew rates of up to ten (10) degrees per second.
- AutoHome™ homing capability (to better than one arcsecond resolution) with built-in sensor circuitry on each axis ensure that the mount always knows its orientation (after an initialization process called "homing"), even after power failure.
- Configurable park position.
- Audible feedback that indicates normal operation and error conditions.
- Slew and tracking rates can be configured with 56-bit precision. What does this mean? The right ascension and declination motors can be rotated at 0 to 4000 revolutions per minute and virtually anywhere in between, providing precise tracking and slewing. This gives you the ability to track on comets, asteroids and even fast- or slow-moving objects such as LEO satellites or any object that moves above or below the sidereal rate.
- Single-reduced belt-driven worms mean the Paramount MYT has backlash so small it is difficult to measure (typically less than two arcseconds in both axes). Autoguiding calibration is always a snap with this “no-slop” system. Spur gears and other components that may introduce backlash are not used.
- Temperature compensated internal oscillator with better than 1 part in 10 million that ensures accurate tracking rates over a wide temperature range.
- Built-in temperature sensor that allows the slew rate to be automatically reduced when the temperature drops.
- Soft "reboot" capability. This means that the control system can be restarted through software and does not have to be manually turned off, then on.
- The Paramount MYT comes with the world's best and most powerful astronomy suite of astronomy software developed by the same engineers who designed the software. The Paramount MYT includes:
View all the Paramount MYT Accessories on the Software Bisque Store
Technical Paramount MYT Drawings
Please visit the Paramount MYT Documentation page (Click Downloads > Documentation > Paramount MYT) to view Paramount MYT-related technical drawings.
Order and Deposit Options
Software Bisque is accepting orders for the Paramount MY Robotic Telescope Mount starting October 21, 2014.
- Shipping and handling fees are not included in the deposit and will be computed and collected when the mount is shipped to you; not when the mount is purchased.
Answers to Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Where can I ask questions about the Paramount MYT?
A: Please post your questions on the Paramount MYT Community Forum.
Q: What software is included with the Paramount MYT?
A: See Software above for details.
Q: Does Software Bisque sell a permanent pier for the Paramount MYT?
A: Yes. The Software Bisque Paramount MX/MX+/MYT Permanent Piers include a threaded hole pattern that allows the Paramount MYT to be mounted to the top plate.
Q: Does Software Bisque sell a portable tripod for the Paramount MYT?
A: Yes. Software Bisque manufactures and sells the Paramount MYT Tripod.
Q: Does Software Bisque sell a wedge to pier adaptor for the Paramount MYT that is similar to the Paramount ME Wedge to Pier Adaptor?
A: Yes. Software Bisque sells an adaptor plate so that the Paramount MYT can be attached to an existing Software Bisque pier.
Q: Can TheSky6 Professional Edition control the Paramount MYT?
A: No. TheSkyX Professional Edition is required to control the Paramount MYT.
Q: What is the Paramount MYT warranty?
A: Software Bisque warrants to the customer that the Paramount will be free from defects in mechanical parts (for two years) and all electrical parts (for one year) from the date of delivery. Software Bisque's limited warranty covers only those defects which are the result of normal use, and do not apply to any improper or inadequate maintenance or modification or operation outside the product's specifications. Details here.
Q: I presently own TheSkyX Professional Edition, or other . Can I receive a discount on the Paramount MYT?
A: No. The software that is included with the Paramount MYT is licensed to that mount. Therefore, Software Bisque does not offer a "software to hardware+software" upgrade. (This policy applies to all Paramount model mounts).
Q: What are the dimensions and weight of the Paramount MYT shipping boxes?
A: The Paramount MYT is shipped in two separate boxes. The dimensions of the large Paramount MYT shipping box are 19 in. x 20 in. x 9.5 in. (48 cm x 51 cm x 24 cm) and weighs 45 lb. (20.4 kg). The second box measures 10 in. x 16 in. x 8 in. (25.4 cm x 40.5 cm x 20 cm) and weighs 35 lb (16 kg).
|**The Paramount MYT began shipping November, 2014.