Forums Historical Software Bisque Blogs Richard S. Wright Jr.’s Blog Winter Star Party 2020 – I might be crazy!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Richard S. Wright Jr.
    Senior Moderator

In two weeks I’m headed south for my favorite event of the year, the Winter Star Party. There are so many reasons it’s my favorite, but one of the big ones is that it’s practically my own back yard (I’m even a bona fide member myself of the Southern Cross Astronomical Society, the organization that hosts the event). Since I don’t have to fly, and I don’t have to “drive for three days,” I tend to go a little overboard. I take everything but the kitchen sink and will stop at my own observatory in South Florida to load up even more gear as I drive past on my way to the Keys.
    A boy and his toys...
    This year will be no exception. I’m taking both a Paramount MYT and a Paramount MX+ and the new Helium Tripod. I must say, this is the best tripod we have ever made! There is no assembly, it’s small and light, and it is actually the easiest one ever to fine-tune level. Because people always ask, “Does your software work with other mounts?” at star parties, I’m also taking a Sky-Watcher mount, and it will be controlled by TheSkyX! No, it won’t be the same experience as a Paramount, but I’m going to put my RASA 8″ on it and should not need to guide.
    But wait, there’s more madness! I plan to do some visual with one of the mounts, but mostly will be imaging on all three mounts at the same time using TheSkyFusion (well, or prototypes thereof). Yes, I might be crazy… but the workflow with TheSky LTI and these little computers really makes this possible. Some people are also surprised to learn that I also own a 14″ dobsonian, and I’m also bringing that to the star party (yeah, gonna need to rent a van boss…). It will be on loan for some of the week, but a few nights I’ll have it setup and may even try out the new Mallincam plug-in I’ve been working on with it.
    You know what this means right? It’s going to rain all week…
    Well, there is also good food and friends in the Florida keys! ¬†Plus, we have a pretty good speaker lineup, and I’m giving two talks. One on TheSky Fusion (so happy this is an actual product now!!!), and one more generic on the topic of the CCD/CMOS transition in astronomical cameras (oooh, watch for my article on this topic in the next edition of Sky & Telescope).
    I always see several of our customers there, and look forward to seeing you again, meeting some new ones, and maybe I’ll even win over a few new converts! Watch for my next blog after WSP… “That WAS crazy!”

Richard

• This topic was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by  Daniel R. Bisque.

leartech
    Participant

Looking forward to seeing more info on the Fusion! I have to go to one of these big star parties some day…

hcincpr@gmail.com
    Participant

Hi

My name is Hector I have just finish my telesco instalation, purchased The X Profetional , but havent succed its instalation. Is there some boddy that could help me work this out.

I understand that through Team Speek I could get the required help. Do you know that person?

Regard Hector

hcincpr@gmail.com

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by  hcincpr@gmail.com.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.