In addition to providing telescope pointing analysis and corrections that help identify, quantify, and automatically compensate for systematic errors, TPoint™ also quantifies the mount’s polar alignment, even when the celestial pole is not visible. Coupled with TheSky, it helps get the mount aligned with the refracted pole (the optimal location for most amateur astronomer’s observing needs).
TPoint requires that the telescope be calibrated by slewing to a series of stars and recording the pointing error at each position. Calibration is performed manually, or automatically using TheSky’s Automated Pointing Calibration feature; the automated calibration requires either TheSky™ Imaging edition, or TheSky Professional edition and the Cameras & Devices module.
TPoint’s Super Model™ feature uses this data to create the optimal pointing model that automatically corrects repeatable errors each time the telescope is slewed.
What you need to know:
- When you purchase TheSky Imaging edition, TPoint is included and automatically activated, so there’s no need to purchase, download, or activate TPoint separately.
- A free 90-day TPoint trial period is included with TheSky™ Serious and Professional.
- If you already own TheSky Professional or Serious edition, when you purchase the TPoint module, it must be activated from TheSky as described here.
Important Distinctions between TheSky and TPoint:
- TheSky Professional includes a 90-day free trial for Cameras & Devices, Dome Control, and TPoint.
- TheSky Serious includes a free 90-day TPoint trial.
- Both TheSky Professional and TheSky Serious can control your “go to” telescope and show the position of the telescope on a simulated sky chart without TPoint.
- While TPoint provides tools for telescope pointing analysis and polar alignment that improves your telescope’s pointing accuracy, it is not required to control your telescope.
- After your telescope is calibrated by pointing it to multiple stars across the sky, TPoint’s Super Model™ feature creates a pointing model that works behind the scenes to improve your telescope’s pointing accuracy — and, if you own one of our Paramount™ mounts, which includes ProTrack™, your telescope’s tracking accuracy as well.