To upgrade your Paramount to the MKS 6000 telescope control system:
- Choose the MKS 6000 Upgrade Kit for your mount model. See the MKS 6000 Upgrade Kit tab for details about supported models.
- Choose the Do-It-Yourself option to install it yourself, or choose one of the Factory Install options to have Software Bisque install the upgrade kit for you. See the DIY or Factory Install tab for details.
- Choose the Return Shipping option that covers the cost to ship your mount back from Software Bisque. See the Return Shipping tab for details.
- For Factory Installs, your mount must make a round trip to and from Software Bisque. If your original shipping boxes and foam are not in excellent condition, please order a new Shipping Box. See the Shipping Box tab for details. Before boxing your mount, please carefully read the Paramount Return for Service Procedure document. It describes the critical steps required to safely prepare your mount for transit.
MKS 6000 Upgrade Ordering System Version 1.3
MKS 6000 Upgrade Kit
The MKS 6000 upgrade kits contain the components necessary to upgrade your Paramount mount with the MKS 6000 telescope control system (TCS), including:
- MKS 6000 printed circuit board (PCB)
- Electronics Box to hold the MKS 6000 PCB
- Hour angle axis rear panel
- Instrument Panel PCB
- Instrument Panel housing
- Updated through-the-mount cables
- MKS 6000 power supply unit
Supported Paramount Model Mounts
The table below lists the Paramount models that can be upgraded with the MKS 6000 telescope control system.
- All Paramount models sold since 2002 can be upgraded to the MKS 6000.
- The MKS 6000 Upgrade Kits include the hardware and electronic components required to upgrade your model Paramount with the MKS 6000 control system.
The table lists the Paramount models, their manufacturing dates, and the mount identifiers for each model.
|November 2014 – April 2023
|C0001 – C00531
|Paramount MX Classic
|July 2011 – July 2014
|A00001 – A00499
|August 2014 – July 2023
|A00500 – A01299
|Paramount ME II
|March 2013 – August 2023
|B00001 – B00599
|Paramount ME Classic
|July 2001 – August 2012
|Paramount Taurus 400/500 Gear Driven Models3
|November 2019 – April 2023
|T00001 – T00060
|Bisque TCS (with the MKS 3000, MKS 4000 or MKS 5000)3
|July 2001 – April 2023
1 The Paramount ME Classic does not have a unique mount identifier; the mount’s serial number as printed on the Paramount ME invoice from Software Bisque, so you may not have a record of it.
2 The Bisque TCS does not include a mount identifier or hardware serial number. See the Bisque TCS Identification document for details how to determine which MKS version your mount uses.
3 Upgrade kits for these model mounts will be available in second quarter of 2024.
Upgrade Kit Photos
Do-It-Yourself or Factory Install
If you want to install the MKS 6000 Upgrade Kit, choose the Do It Yourself option and we’ll ship the upgrade kit to you. Watch the MKS 6000 Upgrade Kit video (coming soon) for step-by-step instructions how to remove the earlier control system and install the new components.
Or, let Software Bisque perform the upgrade for you. Ship your mount back to the factory, and we will install the MKS 6000 upgrade.
- Do It Yourself ($0)
- Software Bisque ships the MKS 6000 Upgrade Kit to you so that you can perform the installation.
For Factory Installs, you box up your mount, ship it back to Software Bisque, we perform the upgrade for you and then ship it back. The Factory Install options are described below.
- Factory Install: Silver ($1000)
- Install the MKS 6000 Upgrade Kit.1
- Thoroughly clean all external mount surfaces.
- Exercise the mount on the bench to ensure the mount operates normally.
- Perform a 10-point quality control check.
- Box the mount for shipping and return to customer.
- Factory Install: Gold ($1500)
- Includes everything listed in the Silver option.
- Inspect the hour angle and declination worm blocks for wear, and notify customer of out-of-specification components.2 With customer approval, replace items as needed.
- Re-lubricate the hour angle and declination axes gears and worms.
- Factory Install: Platinum ($2500)
- Includes everything listed in the Silver and Gold options.
- Completely disassemble mount, deep clean all the parts, apply new lubrication, and re-assemble the mount.
- Inspect moving components under magnification for visual or mechanical damage.
- Rebuild both worm blocks: replace the brass worm, worm block bearings and timing belts.
- Replace external stickers, Delrin washers, and plastic worm block access covers.
1Includes a two-year limited warranty on all components.
2Components that are determined to be “out of specification” will be offered for replacement with new parts for an additional part replacement fee.
Note that for Factory Installs, you are responsible for the costs to ship the mount to and from Software Bisque. Return Shipping is the cost to ship your mount back to you when the upgrade is complete. The UPS shipping options will be displayed during checkout.
For Factory Installs, and you do not have the original box and foam that came with your mount, you will need to purchase a new box so that your Paramount can safely make the round trip to and from Software Bisque.
The Shipping Box consists of new double-walled cardboard, double-boxed Paramount shipping boxes with custom high-density foam inserts that are designed to securely cradle your mount during transit will be shipped to you.
Before You Box Your Mount
Before boxing your mount, please carefully read the Paramount Return for Service Procedure document. It describes the critical steps required to safely prepare your mount for transit.