- This topic has 0 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 2:00 pm on 2005-08-23 by admin.
August 23, 2005 at 2:00 pm #88105
Software Bisque Knowledge Base Article – 177
PROBLEMS AFTER COPYING CD-ROM CONTENTS TO HD
The user has copied the contents of TheSky’s CD-ROM (e.g. Level IV) to a local hard drive, but encounters problems/errors when attempting to use TheSky. Sample error message(s) include:
“( ! ) C:/Program Files/Software Bisque/TheSky/Index/Extlab.idx”
Here is a procedure (there may be others) for installing TheSky Level IV to a hard drive for use independent of the CD-ROM.
1. You must first do a “normal” installation of TheSky (version 4). Use one of these methods:
a) Install from the CD-ROM (use the Custom Installation option, if available, and install ALL items).
b) Install from a floppy disk set. You may need to create this set from the CD-ROM drive – see note below for this procedure*.
c) Install from a CD-ROM drive on a network. The network drive must be mapped on the target system.
2. Using File Manager (Windows 3.1x, NT 3.5x), or Explorer (Windows 95, NT 4.0), copy each of the following folders from the CD-ROM to your hard drive. We recommend placing them under TheSky’s folder.
The following folders are optional:
3. Start TheSky, and choose the Data, File Locations command. Change each of the following location settings to reflect the new folders copied in the previous step. For example, “Index Path = C:/Program Files/Software Bisque/TheSky/Index”.
Large Info. Path
Large Plot Path
Small Info Path
Small Plot Path
If the optional folders were copied, change these as well:
4. Close the File Locations dialog and exit TheSky.
5. Start TheSky once again. It should now be operating independently of the CD-ROM.
*CREATING A FLOPPY DISK INSTALLATION SET FROM THE CD-ROM
TheSky’s CD-ROM contains an “image” of a floppy disk installation set. You will need access to a computer with both CD-ROM and 1.44MB floppy drives.
1. Use File Manager or Explorer to copy each “DiskN” folder (where N is a disk number) under the CD-ROM’s “Level3fl” folder to its own 1.44MB floppy disk. You may want to label each disk with its number to avoid confusion later.
2. On your non-CD-ROM computer, run “Setup.exe” (on Disk 1 of the new floppy disk installation set) to install TheSky.
This article was formerly published under the identifier Q370KB in Software Bisque’s prior knowledge base.
Last Reviewed: 11/24/2004
The forum ‘Knowledge Base Articles’ is closed to new topics and replies.