- This topic has 0 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 2:00 pm on 2005-08-23 by admin.
August 23, 2005 at 2:00 pm #88195
Software Bisque Knowledge Base Article – 267
THESKY V5 CUSTOM INSTALLATION FREEZES
When using TheSky v5’s Custom installation option, the installation proceeds nominally, then suddenly freezes with the Progress Indicator at something less than 100% (e.g. 83% or 92%; exact value depends upon selected components).
In some cases a message suggesting that the CD-ROM be cleaned might be displayed. The component being copied at the time of freezing might be “Solar System Pictures” or “PGC Thumbnail Pictures.”
There may be a problem with one or more files on the CD-ROM disc. The following work-arounds may be used until a solution (e.g. new disc?) is found.
First, remove the present installation:
1. Close any running applications.
2. Uninstall TheSky (click Start / Settings / Control Panel / Add/Remove Programs).
3. Delete TheSky’s folder (e.g. C:/Program Files/Software Bisque/TheSky), and subfolders.
4. Open the Registry Editor (Start / Run, type REGEDIT, then select OK).
5. Switch to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER window (listed under Window menu).
6. Open the key list to Software/Software Bisque.
7. Delete the key named “TheSky”
8. Exit the Registry Editor (Registry, Exit) and your changes will automatically be saved.
Second, re-install TheSky using one of these two procedures:
If the installation was working with Disc One at the time of the freeze, install using the Typical installation option, then manually copy (i.e. with Explorer) the additional components desired from the CD-ROM to the hard drive. Be sure to inform TheSky of the copied component locations in the Data, File Locations dialog.
If the installation was working with Disc Two at the time of the freeze, install without the “PGC Thumbnail Images” component, then copy the images to the hard drive manually (i.e. with Explorer). These can be placed anywhere, but the “normal” location is
C:/Program Files/Software Bisque/TheSky/Pictures/PGCThumb
Be sure to inform TheSky of the actual location under its PGC Thumbnail Pictures setting in the Data, File Locations dialog.
This article was formerly published under the identifier Q517KB in Software Bisque’s prior knowledge base.
Last Reviewed: 11/24/2004
The forum ‘Knowledge Base Articles’ is closed to new topics and replies.